Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marbles

US Gun Violence

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61919752

Well, it's a start.

Of course, Cancun Cruz and his cohorts were opposed to even that, being as wedded to the school-shooting, NRA-royalty-receiving status quo that they are.

Unfortunately preceded by this earlier today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61915237

The video of the republican is particularly disturbing.

20 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Unfortunately preceded by this earlier today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61915237

The video of the republican is particularly disturbing.

Yeah, I saw that too.

Can't rely on the judiciary to grant equal rights for women and LGBT people as well as helping give a semblance of gun control at the present time, then.

That means the legislature is the only option, and that also means the next couple of years will be critical.

Edited by leicsmac

• 2 weeks later...

Happy 4th of July:

At least six people are dead and 24 wounded in yet another mass killing in America after a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in a Chicago suburb.

The attack in the affluent town of Highland Park disrupted the annual parade that celebrates American independence just after it began at 10am. It brought a scene of blood-soaked carnage to one that usually features flags, floats and marching bands.

Lake county major crime taskforce spokesman Christopher Covelli said at a news conference that the gunman apparently opened fire on paradegoers from a rooftop using a rifle that was recovered at the scene. He didn’t know which building.

Covelli said police believe there was only one shooter and warned that he should still be considered armed and dangerous. The police said authorities are still searching for the suspect, calling it an “active incident” and urging people to stay away. Several witnesses said they heard multiple shots fired. One witness said he counted more than 20 shots.

Police have not released any details about the victims or wounded.

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Happy 4th of July:

At least six people are dead and 24 wounded in yet another mass killing in America after a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in a Chicago suburb.

The attack in the affluent town of Highland Park disrupted the annual parade that celebrates American independence just after it began at 10am. It brought a scene of blood-soaked carnage to one that usually features flags, floats and marching bands.

Lake county major crime taskforce spokesman Christopher Covelli said at a news conference that the gunman apparently opened fire on paradegoers from a rooftop using a rifle that was recovered at the scene. He didn’t know which building.

Covelli said police believe there was only one shooter and warned that he should still be considered armed and dangerous. The police said authorities are still searching for the suspect, calling it an “active incident” and urging people to stay away. Several witnesses said they heard multiple shots fired. One witness said he counted more than 20 shots.

Still on the run apparently.

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Happy 4th of July:

Crazy, know the area well. My ex  (who i dated for 5+ years) was from Northbrook which is about 2 or 3 miles away.  Havent reached out though as I know she doesnt live there anymore but her parents do. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Him being arrested alive and (relatively) uninjured would suggest this too.

In America you can be arrested without injury after going on a murderous rampage but be strangled to death after being suspected of using a counterfeit $20 note.

12 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

In America you can be arrested without injury after going on a murderous rampage but be strangled to death after being suspected of using a counterfeit $20 note.

Precisely.

And yet there are many, including some on this very board a while back, who believe the US police do not have a problem with discriminatory treatment of suspects based on demographic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

A mentally unstable country with hundreds of millions of guns is not a great combination.  

At least they've got their 'murica freedom

I went on vacation last weekend to a much more rural part of my state. There were more Trump signs / Confederate flags than you can shake a stick at. It was everywhere you went. It's a religion for these people. They will literally start a civil war (again) if you try and infringe on their "freedom"

5 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I went on vacation last weekend to a much more rural part of my state. There were more Trump signs / Confederate flags than you can shake a stick at. It was everywhere you went. It's a religion for these people. They will literally start a civil war (again) if you try and infringe on their "freedom"

And when you see how prevalent that is, you wonder how cooler heads can prevail, as they must to avoid lots of blood on the floor.

How does one negate that kind of sentiment delivered in that kind of way without having to resort to brutality in at least some fashion? Because it does need to be neutralised.

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

And when you see how prevalent that is, you wonder how cooler heads can prevail, as they must to avoid lots of blood on the floor.

How does one negate that kind of sentiment delivered in that kind of way without having to resort to brutality in at least some fashion? Because it does need to be neutralised.

Last time we went to war with that kind of mentality, Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground. Last time i checked, the south was still backwards AF. 

My real answer is probably Education. Unfortunately, Republicans have also declared war on public education, and the areas where gun violence is worst have the worst public education infrastructure. The other big issue is the war on drugs, but i won't delve into that.

9 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I honestly believe that America will divide in to two seperate nations before the end of this century.  

There just seems to be an insurmountable divide in beliefs and principles between the two developing camps. It's not so much red or blue anymore but rather red and oranges. They're completely different animals. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Last time we went to war with that kind of mentality, Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground. Last time i checked, the south was still backwards AF. 

My real answer is probably Education. Unfortunately, Republicans have also declared war on public education, and the areas where gun violence is worst have the worst public education infrastructure. The other big issue is the war on drugs, but i won't delve into that.

Right, because Johnson messed up Reconstruction due to being too soft on former slaveowners and the beliefs that drove them. It needed a Germany post-1945 response.

Like the above poster, I think a split based on ideology is inevitable unless some kind of unifying force occurs in pretty short order. Not really sure what that might take the form of, but....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scotch said:

I honestly believe that America will divide in to two seperate nations before the end of this century.  

There just seems to be an insurmountable divide in beliefs and principles between the two developing camps. It's not so much red or blue anymore but rather red and oranges. They're completely different animals. 

I agree that the political and cultural divide is at the breaking point, but the only problem with that is how that divide would work. A very very rough estimate is, most cities, even in red states are culturally and politically liberal. Most rural areas, even in liberal states like California are very Republican. How do two separate nations exist in the same geographic region?

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

I agree that the political and cultural divide is at the breaking point, but the only problem with that is how that divide would work. A very very rough estimate is, most cities, even in red states are culturally and politically liberal. Most rural areas, even in liberal states like California are very Republican. How do two separate nations exist in the same geographic region?

Simple answer is it wouldn't work. Not peacefully anyway. There would be a fight over land and resources before the people are able to even inhabit each country. States would be divided before the country.