Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marbles

US Gun Violence

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Jon Stewart is on unbelievable form here.

Normally can’t watch stuff like this because I loathe seeing idiots in positions of power - but you’re bob on, Stewart eviscerates him.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Female shooter this time:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee, March 27 (Reuters) - A 28-year-old woman armed with several guns opened fire on Monday at a private Christian school she once attended in Tennessee's capital city, killing three children and three adult staffers before police killed her, authorities said.

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee, March 27 (Reuters) - A 28-year-old woman armed with several guns opened fire on Monday at a private Christian school she once attended in Tennessee's capital city, killing three children and three adult staffers before police killed her, authorities said.

Very sad .

Awful .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65087221

Why don’t the US ban guns - any particular reason or just no demand or desire to do so 

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Very sad .

Awful .

Why don’t the US ban guns - any particular reason or just no demand or desire to do so 

It's their god given constitutional right in 'murica. They would say "who are you to tell us otherwise". You will have to pry the gun from their cold dead hands before they give them up. That's not just a republican thing either.

Fight guns with more and bigger guns! That'll stop the gun violence.....oh wait...

I don't own a gun but can appreciate ownership depending on need. Living in a remote area with deadly bears, coyotes, mountain lions etc then I understand.  Maybe some other obvious reasons but i digress.

We might have some illegal gun issues here in Canada but  most of us just love a good old fist fight man to man. 

I am so sorry to hear about the unfortunate loss of life today i feel for those impacted by a senseless crime.

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Male shooter. Don’t blame women for the actions of men.

Appears to have been a transwoman.

Expect the debate to go a bit like this in the next few days:

1. CHRISTIANS ARE UNDER ATTACK
  2. THIS IS ALL JANE FONDA’S FAULT (
    )
  3. ‘This is obviously why we must ban drag queens’
  4. Demonisation of women.
  5. More demonisation of trans people.
  6. This is not the time to talk about gun control.
  7. This is a mental health issue, not a gun problem.
  8. Not a single ****ing thing will happen to stop it from happening again in another few months.

• Sad 1

Congressman for Tennessee, Andy Ogles, sent out this Christmas card. 

FsPocbRaMAAS8t3-e1679951015553.jpeg

He opposes abortion, same sex marriage, funding education and regulating healthcare. 

He also thinks Trump won in 2020 and wants to impeach Biden and Harris. 

It troubles me that we allow these people to vote, be elected, and breed. 

51 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Appears to have been a transwoman.

Expect the debate to go a bit like this in the next few days:

1. CHRISTIANS ARE UNDER ATTACK
  2. THIS IS ALL JANE FONDA’S FAULT (
    )
  3. ‘This is obviously why we must ban drag queens’
  4. Demonisation of women.
  5. More demonisation of trans people.
  6. This is not the time to talk about gun control.
  7. This is a mental health issue, not a gun problem.
  8. Not a single ****ing thing will happen to stop it from happening again in another few months.

Seems Jon just went ahead and jumped straight to no.5. :ph34r:

But yeah, that is pretty much exactly how it will play out. Again, and again, and again.

On the shooting itself, given previous attendance at the school in question, it would seem evident that the person did this thing for personal reasons, not as part of some overarching ideology. Not that that makes the whole thing any better at all.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Seems Jon just went ahead and jumped straight to no.5. :ph34r:

But yeah, that is pretty much exactly how it will play out. Again, and again, and again.

On the shooting itself, given previous attendance at the school in question, it would seem evident that the person did this thing for personal reasons, not as part of some overarching ideology. Not that that makes the whole thing any better at all.

:)  Indeed.  Not too many women out there killing multiple people, so I would argue they were a pretty poor attempt to be a trans woman.  Its not all about putting on a dress.

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

:)  Indeed.  Not too many women out there killing multiple people, so I would argue they were a pretty poor attempt to be a trans woman.  Its not all about putting on a dress.

Well, at the honesty that renders any "concern" towards the statistically most marginalised community all over the world as utterly hollow is appreciated, at least. Weasel words like "I do really care about them" be damned.

Edited by leicsmac

9 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Very sad .

Awful .

They love guns, no chance they’ll ever be banned. The country will burn if anyone dares suggest that. Let them crack on with it as long as it stays in their country.

On 04/03/2023 at 07:48, Daggers said:

Normally can’t watch stuff like this because I loathe seeing idiots in positions of power - but you’re bob on, Stewart eviscerates him.

This was incredible to watch the guy tie himself up in knots, absolutely delightful. 

I don't follow American politics closely, so my next question is, does this guy genuinely believe what he says, it is he just backed by the NRA and toeing the line he has too whilst trying to make sense of it

15 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

This was incredible to watch the guy tie himself up in knots, absolutely delightful. 

I don't follow American politics closely, so my next question is, does this guy genuinely believe what he says, it is he just backed by the NRA and toeing the line he has too whilst trying to make sense of it

I think with such folks it's often a mix of both, with the caveat that it's also that their constituents won't back them if they're not "God, Guns, Gross" too.

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think with such folks it's often a mix of both, with the caveat that it's also that their constituents won't back them if they're not "God, Guns, Gross" too.

Yeah that's what I figured. 

It's interesting watching that just a few days after I watched the Waco documentary on Netflix. I watched it thinking, allow guns and this is what happens and then I see an actual politician advocating more guns without a clear reasoning why he believes that, it just highlights what a mess that country is in. 

As Jon steward touched on, the police don't feel safer going into a situation if there's more guns, if anything they are afraid, that's exactly what happened at Waco where the initial response seemed completely OTT, but was a response of fear because of the amount of guns and ammo, they knew were being hoarded in the compound.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

"Police clarify remarks on shooter's gender identity

There is some confusion about the shooter's gender identity - with police earlier describing the attacker as a woman, and later saying that Audrey Hale identified as transgender.

A police spokesperson has since told Washington Post that Hale "is a biological woman who, on a social media profile, used male pronouns".

We're reaching out to the police in Nashville to see if we can get more clarity on this."

But let's not wait for facts before making disparaging comments about a marginalised community. I won't hold my breath for any sort of retraction or apology.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Thee children (around 8 and 9 years old) and and three adults murdered and people getting in a tizz over the gender of the murderer.  Classy...

Are they? I have not read anything  about a tizz over the gender of the shooter, Audrey Hale right? 

EDIT - ok realised you are talking about the comments on this thread LOL. A few posters mentioning it - a stretch to extrapolate that to 'people' - but yeh get your point

Edited by grobyfox1990

8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Are they? I have not read anything  about a tizz over the gender of the shooter, Audrey Hale right? 

EDIT - ok realised you are talking about the comments on this thread LOL. A few posters mentioning it - a stretch to extrapolate that to 'people' - but yeh get your point

Realised it probably reads a bit more passive agressive than intended and not targetting anyone specifically.  Just seems a bit distateful to me that anyone, irrespective of the validity of the views, should be using it for their own agenda before the facts had even been established.

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

"Police clarify remarks on shooter's gender identity

There is some confusion about the shooter's gender identity - with police earlier describing the attacker as a woman, and later saying that Audrey Hale identified as transgender.

A police spokesperson has since told Washington Post that Hale "is a biological woman who, on a social media profile, used male pronouns".

We're reaching out to the police in Nashville to see if we can get more clarity on this."

But let's not wait for facts before making disparaging comments about a marginalised community. I won't hold my breath for any sort of retraction or apology.

Indeed I retract - very strange how the media have misgendered this man in this way.  You can bet if it was a trans woman they would have had the right pronouns.

3 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Realised it probably reads a bit more passive agressive than intended and not targetting anyone specifically.  Just seems a bit distateful to me that anyone, irrespective of the validity of the views, should be using it for their own agenda before the facts had even been established.

Fair comment and I apologise for any offence caused.