Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Braybrooke's comments after the game last night suggest he thinks he's staying in the U23's for the season. I really, really hope not. 

i just wonder if the club are getting itchy feet that we lose youri but still don’t have the room to bring in a replacement.  The fact he doesn’t take up a squad spot might just be enough for us to want to keep him around 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Braybrooke's comments after the game last night suggest he thinks he's staying in the U23's for the season. I really, really hope not. 

Has he been told there's the possibility of some first team action? Do teams think he's too lightweight? I've never seen him struggle against bigger players.

He was training with some league teams, and someone on here claimed he was going on loan. If it doesn't go on loan it'll be a bit odd.

10 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

i just wonder if the club are getting itchy feet that we lose youri but still don’t have the room to bring in a replacement.  The fact he doesn’t take up a squad spot might just be enough for us to want to keep him around 

8 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Has he been told there's the possibility of some first team action? Do teams think he's too lightweight? I've never seen him struggle against bigger players.

He was training with some league teams, and someone on here claimed he was going on loan. If it doesn't go on loan it'll be a bit odd.

You'd hipe he does have an outside sniff of some first team football here but even if Tielemans goes you'd expect Praet and Soumare to step in there and so I'd not be holding Braybrooke back on the off chance of him playing a handful of games here this season. That said he needs the right club, no point him going to a pont team in League Two, he's well worth Championship level or League One at one of the best sides in that division.

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You'd hipe he does have an outside sniff of some first team football here but even if Tielemans goes you'd expect Praet and Soumare to step in there and so I'd not be holding Braybrooke back on the off chance of him playing a handful of games here this season. That said he needs the right club, no point him going to a pont team in League Two, he's well worth Championship level or League One at one of the best sides in that division.

This second point is it. Ben Nelson has gone out because he’s physically built to cope with League 2, so although the club would probably have liked him to go to a higher level, it’s not gonna be a bad thing to toughen him up.

Braybrooke is different in that the lad is built for high level football, imagine sticking a player like Modric into League 2 football, he’s getting bullied but the Premier League hasn’t been that kind of league for years. I’d argue it’s better for Sammy’s development to spend another year at Seagrave so he can develop physically and train with the first team than going to get bashed about in League 2.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

This second point is it. Ben Nelson has gone out because he’s physically built to cope with League 2, so although the club would probably have liked him to go to a higher level, it’s not gonna be a bad thing to toughen him up.

Braybrooke is different in that the lad is built for high level football, imagine sticking a player like Modric into League 2 football, he’s getting bullied but the Premier League hasn’t been that kind of league for years. I’d argue it’s better for Sammy’s development to spend another year at Seagrave so he can develop physically and train with the first team than going to get bashed about in League 2.

Whilst I agree, it also didn’t do Wright any harm and then a year in league one. It all depends how they adapt, watching braybrooke yesterday he went shoulder to shoulder with someone 6ft plus and didn’t get bullied. agree he should be looking at league one/championship for his ability though. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Soumare may go. Mendy rarely passes forwards. Praet is more an attacking midfielder. He could get some minutes in some cup games and be emergency cover. That said, if Brendan were planning this you'd have expected more time in preseason.

1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

You make a good point yet it's a pity that this year in the u23s will be below his level. In the last match he attempted a few cross field balls often which didn't quite make it so he can at least push himself. It's just a pity the league won't push him back. I hope he'll gets a few cup minutes and a new year loan in the Championship.

Edited by Foxxed

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Highly unlikely a championship club would take a chance on a kid with Zero first team football behind him.

Clubs are so careful when taking in loan players and at that standard they are usually players who have at least been exposed to some level of "Mens" football.

League is more more likely for his first exposure to real football i would say. 

44 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Highly unlikely a championship club would take a chance on a kid with Zero first team football behind him.

Clubs are so careful when taking in loan players and at that standard they are usually players who have at least been exposed to some level of "Mens" football.

League is more more likely for his first exposure to real football i would say. 

Yeah you're more likely right, although can't help but feel if the England U18 captain was at one of the big 6 then he'd have a queue of Championship and big clubs in League One (Sheff Wed, Ipswich etc) after him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah you're more likely right, although can't help but feel if the England U18 captain was at one of the big 6 then he'd have a queue of Championship and big clubs in League One (Sheff Wed, Ipswich etc) after him.

If he doesn't go this window, I hope he gets to train with the first team and make some appearance (given the five subs, etc.). If he were to get a loan in January, making some first team appearances would properly raise his stock a bit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

True, whereas  we can only get Rochdale in for Ben Nelson. I think at his age league 1 would be as good as we could hope for.  Ideally MK dons, as theyve done well at developing young players recently and try to play some nice football but have loads of gaps after losing the stars of last year. 

Edited by Lambert09

On 09/08/2022 at 00:39, Jimmy said:

why the hell is Ben Petty so against playing a striker?

...probably under orders from the first team!!!

We seem to have versatile players that interchange, Maswanhise sometimes coming through the center and mostly from wide spaces. Madivadua on the left is too deep to influence when going forward, hesitant in taking on the fullback and constantly turning to playback. How many times did Mcateer find himself where the main striker would be with Popov nowhere to be seen at this level?

Alves looking stronger and struggling to impact the game and I am not sure where his genuine position should be. Have we brought him on too soon, does he need to go back to the U18s in order to enjoy his game again, although this would for him be perceived as a retrograde step?

22 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Alves looking stronger and struggling to impact the game and I am not sure where his genuine position should be. Have we brought him on too soon, does he need to go back to the U18s in order to enjoy his game again, although this would for him be perceived as a retrograde step?

I think demoting him after one lacklustre performance would be harsh.

I’m probably being too optimistic but I hope Braybrooke gets some minutes in the league cup, proves he is developed enough for league football and goes on loan at a decent level. He’s not the biggest but he’s like a terrier chasing the ball. I particularly liked the interceptions and counter attacks he caused last match.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...probably under orders from the first team!!!

We seem to have versatile players that interchange, Maswanhise sometimes coming through the center and mostly from wide spaces. Madivadua on the left is too deep to influence when going forward, hesitant in taking on the fullback and constantly turning to playback. How many times did Mcateer find himself where the main striker would be with Popov nowhere to be seen at this level?

Alves did an interview last season where he said he likes the challenge of the U23's as its very different and he needs to learn, think what he was getting at was U18's is a piece of piss for him and it is.

On the striker front, it's ridiculous. We've done very well to secure Popov and Richards from Man Utd and Arsenal and yet we keep them both in the U18's. Popov was far too good for U18's last season and stepped up in the U23's towards the end and was superb there and yet he's been demoted again in pre season. Kian Pennant is another who will no doubt be used sparingly for the U23's even though he's an England U18 International.

I really hoped the academy was being overhauled with the guidance of Paul McGuinness but the news he's off back to the North West for personal reasons makes me concerned we are and will miss a trick at making the academy a massive focus of ours. It's the most obvious facet to excel in with the training facilities and ambition that we have, not to mention the FFP rules that are going to hammer us. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Alves did an interview last season where he said he likes the challenge of the U23's as its very different and he needs to learn, think what he was getting at was U18's is a piece of piss for him and it is.

....without looking like I have a downer on Will, but this is not the only game where I have seen him struggle!!!

I have doubts about him and you do not want to see someone with his talent struggling to enjoy his game and adjusting his approach to the game perhaps having been reprimanded by Rodgers in his debut game.

He seems to be an inside right, but you get the impression that he is supposedly playing a #10 and it is not too clear what his natural position should be. No doubt he is learning while in the U21 but it just seems to be work for him and no joy doing it.

I know Ric you have kept an eye on him and watched every step, but where should he be playing in your opinion?

Edited by sacreblueits442
Update