Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....without looking like I have a downer on Will, but this is not the only game where I have seen him struggle!!!

I have doubts about him and you do not want to see someone with his talent struggling to enjoy his game and adjusting his approach to the game perhaps having been reprimanded by Rodgers in his debut game.

He seems to be an inside right, but you get the impression that he is supposedly playing a #10 and it is not too clear what his natural position should be. No doubt he is learning while in the U21 but it just seems to be work for him and no joy doing it.

I know Ric you have kept an eye on him and watched every step, but where should he be playing in your opinion?

Imagine if Mahrez was in our academy and we made him play CM to try improve his defensive frailties. That is what we’re doing with Alves currently.

To be honest, I don’t think its necessary. Alves needs to be playing higher up the pitch with freedom to use his flair on the ball, instead of the deep role he’s being asked to play. 

He seems to perform best in the CAM position with freedom to roam about the pitch. The 5-1 win against Bournemouth in the youth cup is probably the best example of his potential in this position.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....without looking like I have a downer on Will, but this is not the only game where I have seen him struggle!!!

I have doubts about him and you do not want to see someone with his talent struggling to enjoy his game and adjusting his approach to the game perhaps having been reprimanded by Rodgers in his debut game.

He seems to be an inside right, but you get the impression that he is supposedly playing a #10 and it is not too clear what his natural position should be. No doubt he is learning while in the U21 but it just seems to be work for him and no joy doing it.

I know Ric you have kept an eye on him and watched every step, but where should he be playing in your opinion?

As Shane says his best position is as an ACM 8/10 role. You need your team to set up to open the game up and get him on the half turn. He's also adept at playing LW and cutting in but I see him as a Maddison type player not a Barnes.

• Like 1

Was rather hoping Ian Burchnall at Forest Green Rovers could have secured a few of our academy players on loan, what being a fellow Leicester fan and followed the set up etc. However Forest Green Rovers have well and truly been put on the not to do business with list after Kasey McAteer 😫

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Was rather hoping Ian Burchnall at Forest Green Rovers could have secured a few of our academy players on loan, what being a fellow Leicester fan and followed the set up etc. However Forest Green Rovers have well and truly been put on the not to do business with list after Kasey McAteer 😫

The last thing we want is alves or braybrooke on a vegan diet!

• Haha 2

On 10/08/2022 at 18:43, Foxxed said:

I’m probably being too optimistic but I hope Braybrooke gets some minutes in the league cup, proves he is developed enough for league football and goes on loan at a decent level. He’s not the biggest but he’s like a terrier chasing the ball. I particularly liked the interceptions and counter attacks he caused last match.

Given we are playing a newly promoted League 2 side, I would hope a couple of youngsters make an appearance. Frankly, I wouldn't be suprised if Braybooke started (wouldn't be suprised if he wasn't even on the bench either.)

This would also be a perfect way to show certain first team players they really, really aren't going to get playing time, and they need to arrange an exit ASAP. 

16 minutes ago, Shane said:

If we continue to accrue injuries among our full-backs, Wormleighton might be an outside bet to come in and play the odd game like VDC did.

Seeing Popov's attitude in preseason, I think he could win fans at first-team level quite quickly if given an opportunity to step up.

• Like 4

Just now, ALC Fox said:

If we continue to accrue injuries among our full-backs, Wormleighton might be an outside bet to come in and play the odd game like VDC did.

Seeing Popov's attitude in preseason, I think he could win fans at first-team level quite quickly if given an opportunity to step up.

Popov wasn’t in the u23 squad on Monday though? 

1 minute ago, Lesta2014 said:

Popov wasn’t in the u23 squad on Monday though? 

Yeah he does seem to flit between the U18s and U23s doesn't he. It's a long season, though. He looks raw but also looks like he has the attributes to be a really good player. If he gets a chance, I think he's well placed to take it. I'm not saying he'll become a first-team regular but I think he's an outside bet to make an appearance or two and maybe even get a goal.

Just now, ALC Fox said:

Yeah he does seem to flit between the U18s and U23s doesn't he. It's a long season, though. He looks raw but also looks like he has the attributes to be a really good player. If he gets a chance, I think he's well placed to take it. I'm not saying he'll become a first-team regular but I think he's an outside bet to make an appearance or two and maybe even get a goal.

Ye hopefully just he goes between the two and he isn’t sitting in between ricardo and Bertrand 

22 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

...if there is a player that needs pushing forward it is Popov!!!

Not because he isn't doing what he should be doing but as time goes by, his qualities are going to diminish as he will become more frustrated with where he is.

I would put him on the bench with the first team,  just being in and around the group will  be welcomed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Maybe Popov is starting with the u18s for a confidence boost, gets a few goals and gets moved back into the u21s??

15 goals in 18 games for u18s last season then starts the following season at the same level, not much of a boost and we see this a lot with us and it halts progression.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

15 goals in 18 games for u18s last season then starts the following season at the same level, not much of a boost and we see this a lot with us and it halts progression.

It's infuriating given we signed Amani Richards as he was frustrated at not getting U18/U23 games for Arsenal so we stick him on the wing for the U18's and then we've got Chris Popov who is far too god at U18 level and done well in the handful of U23's games and yet has been demoted so that we can instead play a 5ft 7 winger up front on his own instead. 

The mandate for Petty seems to be as baffling as Steve Beaglehole. No wonder McGuinness has quickly had enough.

• Like 4