Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

7 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Great question- I haven’t seen anything about this role since Guy Branston left about 3 years ago and didn’t someone on loan last season say they had no contact from the club during the loan? Maybe Wright or Hirst

Yeah it was Wright.

He came back into the good and it’s gone completely quiet - we’ve been unfair to him.

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Doesn't seem to be enjoying his football to me this season, somewhat worrying.

....yeah, it is a tad discouraging to see a player, with his appetite for the game, so stifled when he goes out on the pitch!!!

I believe it is very much a step up too soon, and his physicality does not help, even though you can see he is a bit more solid in his build. I keep going back to the admonishment in his debut game (Watford if I recall) where Rodgers asked him to cut out the over-elaborate parts of his game, or he would remove him. I can understand seasoned professionals not liking a young frail looking kid, showing off at their expense, broken legs can come from such situations. If that is something that he has taken on board in a negative way, then it will stay with him for some time. Not the greatest example of man- management in that instance.

We might just have to bite the bullet and take him back to the U18s where he can continue to work on certain aspects of his game and learn to enjoy playing again. He can learn to link the play, as a #10, to improve his awareness and reading of the game. Beating 6 players and putting the ball in the back of the net may be alright, but learning the game in a more academic sense would benefit him for the season. The longer we leave it, the worse it will become, and we have too much of a wait-and-see policy at this club at the moment, when we need decisions to be made.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....yeah, it is a tad discouraging to see a player, with his appetite for the game, so stifled when he goes out on the pitch!!!

I believe it is very much a step up too soon, and his physicality does not help, even though you can see he is a bit more solid in his build. I keep going back to the admonishment in his debut game (Watford if I recall) where Rodgers asked him to cut out the over-elaborate parts of his game, or he would remove him. I can understand seasoned professionals not liking a young frail looking kid, showing off at their expense, broken legs can come from such situations. If that is something that he has taken on board in a negative way, then it will stay with him for some time. Not the greatest example of man- management in that instance.

We might just have to bite the bullet and take him back to the U18s where he can continue to work on certain aspects of his game and learn to enjoy playing again. He can learn to link the play, as a #10, to improve his awareness and reading of the game. Beating 6 players and putting the ball in the back of the net may be alright, but learning the game in a more academic sense would benefit him for the season. The longer we leave it, the worse it will become, and we have too much of a wait-and-see policy at this club at the moment, when we need decisions to be made.

Him going back to the U18's is already a waste of time, he's pretty much said so himself. What should be happening though is he's given the licence to run amok for the U21's and not try and coach discipline in to his game at the minute. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....if he is a strong enough character, that would make no difference!!!

exactly this, you just say sorry Papy (for example I'll use him) but I really don't need 2 dms on the bench and this kid is an attacking player

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Doesn't seem to be enjoying his football to me this season, somewhat worrying.

Its terrifying that the club are letting such a talented player be neutered.

I dont see how he develops being asked to play cm in cave man football

Its not like the u23s play total football like youd expect from the Ajax academy

The gist is get it to the stronger lads and hope they do something with it

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shane said:

What can Amine Harit do that Wanya or Maswanhise are incapable of?

Both those players need a manager who’ll nurture youth. Both stand out in the u23s, without screaming for attention, yet neither have had a loan or seen any first team action. If we’re not going to loan them out then we at least need to stretch them with a few minutes in the first team. Maswanhise looked decent last pre season yet he’s stood still in our academy. Neither are at the level of Braybrooke but both could have advanced if managed better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Brendan's rep for working with young players is a myth

Absolutely the truth.  I think his reputation for man-management , and other management aspects, is grossly over-rated.  It's always a risk chucking a youngster in but a club like ours has to maximise what our youth scheme produces and it will never work if you don't at some point put some trust into them.

19 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Absolutely the truth.  I think his reputation for man-management , and other management aspects, is grossly over-rated.  It's always a risk chucking a youngster in but a club like ours has to maximise what our youth scheme produces and it will never work if you don't at some point put some trust into them.

he doesn't even give them a chance in the League cup, when everyone does, its literally a free go for them, but if he did they might perform then he'd have to stop crying about not having any wingers

2 hours ago, Shane said:

What can Amine Harit do that Wanya or Maswanhise are incapable of?

I agree, I’d prefer us to give some of our youngsters a chance in the first team rather than buying crap we can’t shift later on down the line, which has put us in this shit position financially 

Just now, sammy82 said:

I agree, I’d prefer us to give some of our youngsters a chance in the first team rather than buying crap we can’t shift later on down the line, which has put us in this shit position financially 

apparently its a loan deal for Harit

The very strange thing about Maswanhise was that Rodgers absolutely loved him. He trained non stop with the 1st team for over 6 months having been plucked from the U18's. Rodgers waxed lyrical about him, he impressed in pre-season and was decoded to be kept in the academy and around the 1st team rather than go on loan.

Fast forward a year, he's barely trained with the 1st team since. Not got included in any first team squads despite the above and how well he did in the U23's last season. He's then started this season on fire and still no loan move or any inclusion with the 1st team, although he has been seen in training with them finally.

Really don't get it, not sure what more he could have done from when Brendan did seem so keen on him to now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The very strange thing about Maswanhise was that Rodgers absolutely loved him. He trained non stop with the 1st team for over 6 months having been plucked from the U18's. Rodgers waxed lyrical about him, he impressed in pre-season and was decoded to be kept in the academy and around the 1st team rather than go on loan.

Fast forward a year, he's barely trained with the 1st team since. Not got included in any first team squads despite the above and how well he did in the U23's last season. He's then started this season on fire and still no loan move or any inclusion with the 1st team, although he has been seen in training with them finally.

Really don't get it, not sure what more he could have done from when Brendan did seem so keen on him to now. 

He has been training regularly with the first team since last Christmas 

7 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

He has been training regularly with the first team since last Christmas 

Nowhere near as much as from Feb 2021 through to the end of pre season July 2021. He was exclusively in 1st team training and around the squads, didn't get on the bench once last season even in Europe with 12 subs and horrendous injury list.

It was just odd for a player Rodgers had really been impressed by and who had not only a good pre-season but was one of, if not our best U23 player for the first half of last season too. Be interesting to see if he keeps this form up this season whether it gets recognised, otherwise you'd seriously question what Rodgers mandate is here.

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Nowhere near as much as from Feb 2021 through to the end of pre season July 2021. He was exclusively in 1st team training and around the squads, didn't get on the bench once last season even in Europe with 12 subs and horrendous injury list.

It was just odd for a player Rodgers had really been impressed by and who had not only a good pre-season but was one of, if not our best U23 player for the first half of last season too. Be interesting to see if he keeps this form up this season whether it gets recognised, otherwise you'd seriously question what Rodgers mandate is here.

Sorry Ric Not sure who's told you this but he has been training almost exclusively with the first team since chrismas last year.

Certainly much more than in 2021.