Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Definitely deserves a chance. Maybe we have another manager by November...

He didn't look good over the full 90mins. The goal was a gift from their defender.

Evan Ferguson looks a serious prospect for Brighton though and still only 17. Was the best player on the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...this guy is the same age as Alves, and has played in the Premier League last season and cup games!!!

It seems he has been accelerated through the age groups just the same, he plays CF and seems to know where the net is.

He looks a serious talent - reminds me of a young Harry Kane (at Millwall not us...)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kierzz said:

He didn't look good over the full 90mins. The goal was a gift from their defender.

Evan Ferguson looks a serious prospect for Brighton though and still only 17. Was the best player on the pitch.

Brendan seemed very keen to look at him pre season a year ago 

I think he disappeared from view after the game at burton 

im guessing physicality concerns 

Odunze

Wormleighton, Appiah, Wilson-Brown, Hughes

Braybrooke, Ewing

Madivadua, Alves, Maswanhise

Popov

Much rather we look to go something like that with Cover and Richards involved as well

Brunt looks like he might be involved more with the first team, but Flynn and McAteer are both 21 this season and should have either been sold on or loaned out and are now just getting in the way of other players

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I see very little change in the way the academy is run. Still holding players back in age groups like Popov when there's a clear gap in the U21 team for strikers. He was far too good for the U18 league last season and yet only towards the end of last season was he ever given a call up to the U23's, which in the handful of games he did play he was excellent.

What was his reward? Straight back to the U18's halfway through pre-season and playing in that league once again, yet this time he's probably so disillusioned and demotivated that he's no longer taking the league apart. Really poor player development and welfare, but doesn't surprise me.

At a time when our short/medium and possibly even long term financial outlook is concerning, the flaring elephant in the room is that for all the shiny new training ground and guff about the vision of us becoming the mecca of young player development there's been little delivered from the academy. No tangible investment other than some half hearted signings, the pathway to the 1st team as far away as it has since Ranieri was here. 

Not good enough, I'm often too critical of our club in this regard but only because its so frustrating and such a missed opportunity. As we dawn a new era where we no longer can afford to be paying fringe players £60-80k a week, we have to have a conveyor belt of academy players that are immersed in the first team and given opportunities to prove they can support the core first team players and allow this club the financial flexibility to try and compete.

Its right to criticise, I dont understand the investment in infrastructure and then not hire elite staff to make the most of it.

We would be praising them if they were getting it right.

• Like 2

Just now, filbertway said:

Its right to criticise, I dont understand the investment in infrastructure and then not hire elite staff to make the most of it.

We would be praising them if they were getting it right.

It's not just the lack of new coaches but there's been minimal investment in 16-19 year old players either. The summer before the transfer rules changes for signing u18 overseas players and the stricter work permit rules saw many clubs invest significantly in the last chance saloon, we didn't. Probably spent about £250k on the academy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

I wouldnt mind keeping players here if it was for their development as they were likely to get exposure to the first team, but there's genuinely no opportunities

Quite embarrassing that the only time weve  given a under 23's player a start in the league, wasnt even earnt on merit and was a ploy to get them to sign a deal.... one that never even happened. The only other real opportunity was a cup in a desperate situation. 

I just cant fathom why certain players havent been sent out on loan, Im certain there would be clubs who wanted them. We could have fast tracked some of these to the first team if they were good enough, but now we will have to wait a few seasons before they can prove they are ready. 

Braybrooke and Maswanhise in particular should both be out learning their graft in the lower leagues with a real plan to the first team put in place. A year more of under 23 football isnt going to get them to a better club next year... a solid year in league 1 or 2 would have guaranteed a step up the ladder. If we are genuinely scared to loan because of things like Forest Green, we need to give our heads a wobble. If they are ever going to be good enough for us, they will go out on loan and smash it. If they arent good enough, loans can help us find out early in the process. 

Last year we had the perfect opportunity to blend the youth into the team and we ignored it entirely.  We had injuries, a bloated schedule and a season where we were playing for nothing really, other than a marginal higher prize fund. Brining some of our top talent off the bench would have been completely reasonable. The fact we have highly regarded players like this but cant even add them to the bench in the league cup, against league 2 opposition, sends a horrific message to the players and their chances of breaking through here. Im sure they will be looking at someone like Callum Wright and  scratching their heads that even after amazing loan spells, where he's vastly improved, hes barely been given time in pre-season to prove himself and has been shipped out for  a nominal fee. Its got to make them question if our academy is the right place to be. 

There are so many other clubs, ones with much more pressure than us, that will throw a player in if they are good enough, or even just to find out if they are.  Anthony Gordon, Kyle Walker-Peters, Elanga, Chukwuemeka, Lamptey, tanganga, Ramsey all ones off of the top of my head that were given a chance to hop straight in and see how they can get on, all did pretty darn well. Im not saying we should be throwing players in to save the day, im not that delusional but I just think that even if we had someone ready to go, we probably wouldnt give them that chance, and its that feeling that can hurt an academy.

Now we obviously do have one outlier in Luke Thomas, but we all know that without a monumental injury crisis, theres no way he would have even made it to our bench before a long loan stint.... but once again, he showed that the right player can step up without too much issue. 

I realise this might read a bit contradictory, I have plenty of time loans and they are imo the best way to develop players. But I cant understand why we arent doing one of the 2 things with this so called golden crop of youth because under 23 football will be doing very little for them 

I agree with a lot of what you are saying in principle, but a couple of things to bear in mind when sending a player out on loan.

One is the player actually ready for a loan, both living away from home and the daily life of being a full time footballer - I think Braybrooke has only just turned 18, maybe the club feels his development will be improved by staying at home another year. 
The other thing is the right opportunity needs to come up and they need to be going there to actually play - No point going on loan to sit on the bench or into a struggling negative environment that will stunt your growth.

So a combination needs to be found of the right environment for the club and player to actually develop. 
From the clubs point of view not having a dedicated loans manager to help find the right environment and keep in contact/ support the player will surely be hampering this.

Aa for the first team, the player themselves need to be better than all other options in that position before you throw them in to a league game. Braybrooke again as an example, although arguably our best prospect isn’t yet at the level of our current midfielders. 
Maswanhise is possibly the closest as we are pretty weak in his position, and it would be great to start seeing him on the bench - but if you look at the bench last week for example who do you take out of that squad? Albrighton, Praet, Daka, Iheanacho or Perez? 
In our current position we need to be picking the best available players and having the best options on the bench to change a game. I’m not sure anyone on the bench fits into that just yet.

The end of last season was the perfect opportunity, however, with the scramble to finish as high as possible and maybe scape a European spot I see why we kept playing our strongest team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying in principle, but a couple of things to bear in mind when sending a player out on loan.

One is the player actually ready for a loan, both living away from home and the daily life of being a full time footballer - I think Braybrooke has only just turned 18, maybe the club feels his development will be improved by staying at home another year. 
The other thing is the right opportunity needs to come up and they need to be going there to actually play - No point going on loan to sit on the bench or into a struggling negative environment that will stunt your growth.

So a combination needs to be found of the right environment for the club and player to actually develop. 
From the clubs point of view not having a dedicated loans manager to help find the right environment and keep in contact/ support the player will surely be hampering this.

Aa for the first team, the player themselves need to be better than all other options in that position before you throw them in to a league game. Braybrooke again as an example, although arguably our best prospect isn’t yet at the level of our current midfielders. 
Maswanhise is possibly the closest as we are pretty weak in his position, and it would be great to start seeing him on the bench - but if you look at the bench last week for example who do you take out of that squad? Albrighton, Praet, Daka, Iheanacho or Perez? 
In our current position we need to be picking the best available players and having the best options on the bench to change a game. I’m not sure anyone on the bench fits into that just yet.

The end of last season was the perfect opportunity, however, with the scramble to finish as high as possible and maybe scape a European spot I see why we kept playing our strongest team.

I can't help but feel, Guy Branston did a hell of a lot of work (i might be wrong, perhaps the role of loan manager is just to look after players when they go on loan) to find academy players suitable loan moves and we still haven't replaced him.

I wonder if such roles and the sheer volume if staff we initially earmarked for Seagrave will be cut back.

https://www.thecomet.net/sport/stevenage-miss-out-on-leicester-city-striker-9251636

Who is this? If it was an Academy player why turn it down as there's none who would affect our 1st team transfer plans.

Stevenage failed in deadline day bid for Leicester City striker says boss

Neil Metcalfe

Published: 11:51 AM September 4, 2022
Steve Evans had spoken to Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers about signing a young striker from the Premier League club.

Stevenage made an audacious deadline day bid for a Leicester City striker revealed Steve Evans.

The League Two side had promised to be busy in the final hours of the 2022 summer window but only landed one intended target, midfielder Alex Gilbey coming in on loan from Charlton Athletic.

The move for the unnamed Foxes youngster floundered though, as did another deal, on the current club being unable to find a replacement.

Evans said: "We missed out on two but we did our bit. Clubs asked us to come back with certain deals and the chairman agreed. 

"One stayed in the Premier League, a striker but a young one. He’s got an exceptional record last season and this one and I spoke to Brendan Rodgers a couple of times about him. 

Recommended by
"Brendan really rates him and at one stage he was coming. 

"I think their inactivity at getting players in has made Brendan think I better keep him. 

"Another player was one who has played for me before. 

"We went in a couple of times for him, last week and this week, and they asked us to do some things which we did but they said no. 

"I do understand that it is because they couldn’t get who they wanted. It was a domino effect." 

Just now, davieG said:

https://www.thecomet.net/sport/stevenage-miss-out-on-leicester-city-striker-9251636

Who is this?

Stevenage failed in deadline day bid for Leicester City striker says boss

Neil Metcalfe

Published: 11:51 AM September 4, 2022
Steve Evans had spoken to Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers about signing a young striker from the Premier League club.

Stevenage made an audacious deadline day bid for a Leicester City striker revealed Steve Evans.

The League Two side had promised to be busy in the final hours of the 2022 summer window but only landed one intended target, midfielder Alex Gilbey coming in on loan from Charlton Athletic.

The move for the unnamed Foxes youngster floundered though, as did another deal, on the current club being unable to find a replacement.

Evans said: "We missed out on two but we did our bit. Clubs asked us to come back with certain deals and the chairman agreed. 

"One stayed in the Premier League, a striker but a young one. He’s got an exceptional record last season and this one and I spoke to Brendan Rodgers a couple of times about him. 

Recommended by
"Brendan really rates him and at one stage he was coming. 

"I think their inactivity at getting players in has made Brendan think I better keep him. 

"Another player was one who has played for me before. 

"We went in a couple of times for him, last week and this week, and they asked us to do some things which we did but they said no. 

"I do understand that it is because they couldn’t get who they wanted. It was a domino effect." 

Exceptional record has got to be Chris Popov or Maswanhise.

• Like 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Exceptional record has got to be Chris Popov or Maswanhise.

As I edited my post above - If it was an Academy player why turn it down as there's none who would affect our 1st team transfer plans.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfers-rodgers-maswanhise-7559737

Brendan Rodgers makes vow over Leicester City starlets after transfer frustration
Rodgers has been present at development squad fixtures with plenty of talented players on show, including Tawanda Maswanhise, who has six goals in six games this season

ByJordan Blackwell
19:49, 7 SEP 2022

Young Leicester City players will be promoted to the first-team squad if manager Brendan Rodgers feels the timing is right and that they can make a difference.

The under-pressure City boss was unable to get the signings in the summer transfer window that he felt were necessary to freshen up his squad, but one solution to that would be to promote from within.

So far, there seems to have been a reluctance to do so this term. George Hirst, who Rodgers said he wanted to see in pre-season, did not play in any of the summer friendlies before being loaned out to Blackburn. Attacking midfielder Callum Wright did play and impressed, but was sold to Blackpool on deadline day.

City have a very promising group in their development squad, made up of England youth internationals like Sammy Braybrooke and Kian Pennant, as well as those who have already made first-team debuts, like Kasey McAteer, Wanya Marcal-Madivadua, and Will Alves. But it is winger-turned-striker Tawanda Maswanhise that has stood out so far, the 19-year-old scoring in all six of the Under-21s’ matches this season.

Rodgers has been present at development squad games at Seagrave to keep tabs on Ben Petty’s side and he has said he will "definitely" consider calling on those he thinks can make the step up.

The City manager also expressed concern that young players may not get chances in the Premier League as a whole because of record spending on new signings this summer. Between them, the 20 Premier League clubs spent nearly £2bn.

Rodgers said: “I’m a big advocate of youth football and young players, but it’s just about timing. It’s something we need to be careful with, because of all the money that has been spent, that young players aren’t missed out.

“But of course they need to be ready as well. It’s definitely something I will look to do. I’ve always done it throughout my career. I’ll always look to see if there are young players in our structure that can come in and help of course.”

City’s Under-21s take on Manchester United this Friday in their sixth Premier League 2 fixture. They sit seventh of 14 clubs as things stand, with two wins, a draw, and two losses recorded so far.

• Like 1

OS

Maswanhise Nominated For PL2 Player Of The Month

DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

Published 15 mins ago

1 MinuteReading time

Leicester City Development Squad forward Tawanda Maswanhise has been nominated for August’s Premier League 2 Player of the Month award.

- Tawanda Maswanhise in contention for PL2 honour
- He has scored in all four games for the Foxes in August 

The Foxes youngster has been in impressive form, scoring in all four PL2 fixtures during the month.

He has found the net in games against Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City, West Ham United and Blackburn Rovers.

A total of eight players have been nominated for the award, with the winner to be announced via the Premier League’s website and PL Youth Twitter page.

Full shortlist

Dominic Ballard (Southampton)
Thomas Cannon (Everton)
Mateo Fernandez (Tottenham Hotspur)
Abu Kamara (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Tawanda Maswanhise (Leicester City)
Oliver O’Neill (Fulham)
Sonny Perkins (Leeds United)
Max Thompson (Sunderland)

"George Hirst, who Rodgers said he wanted to see in pre-season, did not play in any of the summer friendlies before being loaned out to Blackburn. Attacking midfielder Callum Wright did play and impressed, but was sold to Blackpool on deadline day.

Tells you all you need to know. Says the right thing but ultimately takes no risks with his career. Might as well shut down the development squads whilst he's here.

Edited by BigGibbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

"George Hirst, who Rodgers said he wanted to see in pre-season, did not play in any of the summer friendlies before being loaned out to Blackburn. Attacking midfielder Callum Wright did play and impressed, but was sold to Blackpool on deadline day.

Tells you all you need to know. Says the right thing but ultimately takes no risks with his career. Might as well shut down the development squads whilst he's here.

Problem is, he can't have too much success coming from the youth setup, as it doesn't fit his rhetoric around a refresh in the transfer market.