Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

10 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Problem is, he can't have too much success coming from the youth setup, as it doesn't fit his rhetoric around a refresh in the transfer market. 

Possibly, but I think it's more that he won't play a talent until they're undeniable like KDH. He puts his own career progression ahead of every other consideration and is very conservative so no potentially good enough youth (a la Wright/Maswanhise) will ever get the chance to prove it under him.

There’s no reason why Maswanhise shouldn’t make the bench this weekend based on his form, the first team form and the obvious need for a bit of pace and energy in forward areas. 

Let’s see if “I like investing in youth” Brendan has it in him. 

Just now, Aleksz said:

There’s no reason why Maswanhise shouldn’t make the bench this weekend based on his form, the first team form and the obvious need for a bit of pace and energy in forward areas. 

Nailed on Perez and Albrighton as his wing options off the bench or starting.

4 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

We will see tomorrow when the u21 side is named. 

30 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

spoilers: He wont

2 hours ago, Aleksz said:

...he could play on Friday and get 10 minutes on Saturday!!!

Anyone know if the schedule for the PL Euro cup has changed? 

Bought tickets for Porto but they've not been printed along with the other games I'm going to (PL2 games) and they've also all gone off sale on the website.

5 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Surely Alvez is ready for prime time? Can’t baby them forever! Heck rooney was launched onto the scene at 16 and never looked back. Cmon mr Rogers use the jewels that we have at our disposal otherwise what is the point of having them?

The u23 boss seems to have decided to try and stifle him by playing him as a central midfielder and look to be killing his love of the game bit by bit.

9 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Surely Alvez is ready for prime time? Can’t baby them forever! Heck rooney was launched onto the scene at 16 and never looked back. Cmon mr Rogers use the jewels that we have at our disposal otherwise what is the point of having them?

...football brain, physicality and a burgeoning skillset,  that was what a 16 year old Rooney was bringing to the table!!!

Alves struggling in U21s at the moment, looking frustrated although he is working hard, just hasn't the physicality to impose himself and his confidence is taking a hit.

I am still not sure where he would be best played, the consensus is as a #10, but I  do not feel that is the right spot for him, and perhaps a wing position ( for the time being) where beating a man helps to bolster his confidence. Perhaps played as an inverted winger with the onus of coming inside and shooting,  might move him on a bit.

At the moment he is stagnating where he is being asked to play.

• Like 1

I always find the 'not strong enough' thing strange when you look at the tools at our desposal to make these lads stronger.

So much natural talent, you'd think you could dedicate 60/70% training time to strength and conditioning and focus on the tactical side once that is cracked? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I always find the 'not strong enough' thing strange when you look at the tools at our desposal to make these lads stronger.

So much natural talent, you'd think you could dedicate 60/70% training time to strength and conditioning and focus on the tactical side once that is cracked? 

I believe you need to be careful about how you strengthen a 16 year old who is still growing.

As for his current role I don't know but in the modern game any creative player cannot be seen as a luxury and  also needs to know how to defend and win the ball back so that is what could be happening to him. You only have to look at how Maddison has developed the defensive side of his game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, davieG said:

I believe you need to be careful about how you strengthen a 16 year old who is still growing.

As for his current role I don't know but in the modern game any creative player cannot be seen as a luxury and  also needs to know how to defend and win the ball back so that is what could be happening to him. You only have to look at how Maddison has developed the defensive side of his game.

I don't think anyone's complaining that, perhaps, the coaches are trying to improve that part of his game. But it seems like all his creativity and flair have been kicked out of him.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I don't think anyone's complaining that, perhaps, the coaches are trying to improve that part of his game. But it seems like all his creativity and flair have been kicked out of him.

I think it’s more a case of playing the full defensive role as a proper DM so not to go wandering off but win and pass. Team discipline is also important.

A documentary I watched on flair players made a point of how most of them can be coached in every aspect of the game except for creativity and dribbling. Many who succeed at the pro level harness this ability since they were playing on the streets. 
we had one of these his name was Mahrez!

I agree a certain amount of dedication, arrogance, ambition and willingness has to come from the player.

It would be a huge shame if Alvez was being molded into a different type of player.

If our academy doesn’t know how to cate for these types of gifted players maybe we should loan him to Barca’s academy for a few years?

5 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

how most of them can be coached in every aspect of the game except for creativity and dribbling

Isn't that what's happening then? He's not going to lose his natural creativity and dribbling by being coached in defensive techniques, as I said above a creative player also needs to know how to defend. One of the biggest moans by LCFC fans for Mahrez was his lack of defensive work covering the full back.