Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Other clubs promote kids aged 17/18 into their first team squads

the issue we have is that our squad is so bloated.  Good pros like mendy can’t get in it.  

Yeah, there are quite a few who are obviously being excluded. Hopefully, we shift a few in January and get a few youngsters on the bench.

I would be wary of loans (for the kids) in January-- those so often don't work out.

We have gone from having an academy full of strong brutes with no technical ability to very lightweight but skillful players. If we can somehow get them ripped up bastards then we've got first team ready players coming in to the mix in Braybrooke, Alves, Maswanhise and Wormleighton.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

the issue we have is that our squad is so bloated.  Good pros like mendy can’t get in it.

But even when the chance arises we put no thought into it and just give the place to Lewis Brunt who's never going to make it at the top level.

38 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

But even when the chance arises we put no thought into it and just give the place to Lewis Brunt who's never going to make it at the top level.

Yeah. That kind of annoys me. It’s as if Brendan’s fulfilling contractual academy requirements without any real intent to develop youth. The whole youth in first team training being treated like training cones points to the same thing. At least KDH is in the team but it feels like the Championship loan, rather than Brendan, developed him. Fingers crossed we get a manager who wants to develop youth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We have gone from having an academy full of strong brutes with no technical ability to very lightweight but skillful players. If we can somehow get them ripped up bastards then we've got first team ready players coming in to the mix in Braybrooke, Alves, Maswanhise and Wormleighton.

Who is your tip to break through first?

6 hours ago, TMELcfc said:

Just in those few highlights, Braybrooke looked quality. And the speed / vision he showed for the goal. 
If he’s not going to get some minutes for us, I’d loan him out in January. 

It was brilliant, but cr.edit too to Maswanhise for his run and clinical finish.  I too noticed that for both of the Bradford goals there was no attempt to challenge the guy putting in the cross  -  an obvious thing for some of our players to be alerted to.

Hoping some of them get a chance during the world cup break friendlies, as the U23 fixtures appear to be minimal during that time period also. Guessing it's deliberate so that teams can still have decent sized training groups?

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

Who is your tip to break through first?

On talent and where they are in their development I'd say Braybrooke but you have to factor in things like options ahead of them in the first team where some areas we have less options or are weaker than in others, plus there's physicality considerations too for the likes of Braybrooke, Alves and Maswanhise etc. It's why Brunt will be nearer the first team currently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, deep blue said:

It was brilliant, but cr.edit too to Maswanhise for his run and clinical finish.  I too noticed that for both of the Bradford goals there was no attempt to challenge the guy putting in the cross  -  an obvious thing for some of our players to be alerted to.

Yep, which I sometimes think a short loan in League 2 for example, would be a good idea... tends to make these lads more aggressive in terms of pressing, being asked / managed through games through experienced league players. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

On talent and where they are in their development I'd say Braybrooke but you have to factor in things like options ahead of them in the first team where some areas we have less options or are weaker than in others, plus there's physicality considerations too for the likes of Braybrooke, Alves and Maswanhise etc. It's why Brunt will be nearer the first team currently.

This is what frustrates me. I know its not always possible but if Braybrooke was smashing it for West Brom or Luton right now... than maybe we would be thinking... we dont need to splash cash on a youri replacement and we can add that money to the rw budget. 

But instead, we will sign someone like Van De Beek who wont be any better than him and end up signing Ryan Fraser on loan  for rw 

• Like 1

From Rodgers' Press Conference 

How to identify academy players?

“With the greatest respect, if you only look at talent... I’m sure at local parks in Leicester, there are players who were amazing talents when they were younger. But being a professional, it’s about resilience. You always want a working talent. We had a great night with our Under-21s, where nine players were here from Under-8s. That shows the growth at the club. They have to keep growing and keep their attitude. The ones with the best attitude and to get over the upsets, and dealing with pressure… It’s more than talent.”

1 hour ago, davieG said:

“With the greatest respect, if you only look at talent... I’m sure at local parks in Leicester, there are players who were amazing talents when they were younger. But being a professional, it’s about resilience. You always want a working talent. We had a great night with our Under-21s, where nine players were here from Under-8s. That shows the growth at the club. They have to keep growing and keep their attitude. The ones with the best attitude and to get over the upsets, and dealing with pressure… It’s more than talent.”

Is there anymore context provided for this question and answer? Seems to be abstract with nothing of substance on his intentions with our academy players.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Is there anymore context provided for this question and answer? Seems to be abstract with nothing of substance on his intentions with our academy players.

Nope, one of the sub-sections in the Merc Press Conference Report between KDH & Mendy comments.  https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-press-conference-live-7671606

As you suggest a bit out of the blue comment with no reference to the actually question he was replying to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

If he wants academy players will resilience then that means league experience as far as I’m concerned. Brunt has the most I think.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

If he wants academy players will resilience then that means league experience as far as I’m concerned. Brunt has the most I think.

And yet he said Braybrooke needed to go on loan in the summer for his development and yet he's still here far too good for U23 level. This lad is often captain of England U18/19 level and there's simply no way there wasn't at least League One clubs in for him.

I spoke to Ian Burchnall who's manager at Forest Green Rovers and they enquired about a number of our academy players but are on the naughty list for how little game time they gave McAteer under a different manager. A real shame as Ian is a Leicester lad and very aware of our talent.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TommyK said:

Braybrooke looks a great talent. But he is still only 18 remember. He'll get his chance no doubt. 

Should be on loan this season and then ready to challenge thr 1st team here in 2023/24. He's ready for League One football at the bare minimum.

11 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Yeah. That kind of annoys me. It’s as if Brendan’s fulfilling contractual academy requirements without any real intent to develop youth. The whole youth in first team training being treated like training cones points to the same thing. At least KDH is in the team but it feels like the Championship loan, rather than Brendan, developed him. Fingers crossed we get a manager who wants to develop youth.

...they do tend to get developed away from the club!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

And yet he said Braybrooke needed to go on loan in the summer for his development and yet he's still here far too good for U23 level. This lad is often captain of England U18/19 level and there's simply no way there wasn't at least League One clubs in for him.

I spoke to Ian Burchnall who's manager at Forest Green Rovers and they enquired about a number of our academy players but are on the naughty list for how little game time they gave McAteer under a different manager. A real shame as Ian is a Leicester lad and very aware of our talent.

That loan was shite though. A waste of, what, a year of his development? The club should be blacklisted else other clubs will just do the same and excuse themselves via their old manager.

The Braybrooke thing is weird. I’m just assuming they think he’ll benefit more from the facilities at Seagrave, esp physically, and Papa John’s and international football will test him anyhow.