Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

52 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Eye opening. Fulham looked so organised and classy. 

So much better on the ball than us. We had huge gaps between the midfield and popov 1st half. Once the 1st went in it was like watching the 1st team fall apart.

Fulham excellent on the ball. They cut some lovely balls back into great areas in the box. Not sure our keeper could do much with any of the goals. They worked them all so well.

We were miles off the levels they set.

6 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Are there any appearances/performance data available anywhere for the u21s? Hard for the casual fan (me) to keep track of who's doing well and who's not etc.

Easy, just read this thread.   

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

So much better on the ball than us. We had huge gaps between the midfield and popov 1st half. Once the 1st went in it was like watching the 1st team fall apart.

Fulham excellent on the ball. They cut some lovely balls back into great areas in the box. Not sure our keeper could do much with any of the goals. They worked them all so well.

We were miles off the levels they set.

Well Rodgers did say he wanted the youth teams to play like the 1st team, so that the transition is seamless. Looks like he got his wish.

• Haha 3

So we have maybe the best training complex in the UK, and were told the players have nowhere to hide anymore, and therefore it will be onwards and upwards for our club.......it doesn't feel like it at the moment.  I know these things take time, but from the outside I don't see any joined up thinking, maybe it will come and I am just too impatient to see it. 

As for the development of the academy, I'm not (100%) convinced with our current manager, he has propensity to over hype his own ability as the 'harbinger of youth development' and maybe this has blindsided some at the club.  I know it is easy to overreact to a 0-7 hiding but I just hope the academy doesn't become a 'white elephant' and it will produce the conveyor belt of talent for our club, and therefore stop us spending money on players like Vest 'n' pants, Bertrand et al.  

Maybe too many people have become complacent at the club, and the loyalty the owners could mean many of them are too comfortable, sometimes a good shake up is needed!

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-fulham-jannik-vestergaard-7687877?fbclid=IwAR0l2B2ZXBdiKKdGO0zrWXOTin3NIc3HPUjVaLDQhnR8r8C0DXUoCQJ8em0

Leicester City youngsters thrashed as forgotten man returns
Latest Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive as Jannik Vestergaard plays 90 minutes and scores an own goal in the under-21s' 7-0 defeat against Fulham

ByLuke PawleyMidlands Football Writer
21:23, 10 OCT 2022

Leicester City under-21s were thrashed 7-0 at home to Fulham on Monday evening.

First team defender Jannik Vestergaard played the full 90 minutes and scored an own goal as the development squad suffered the heavy defeat. The first goal came after 20 minutes when Fulham winger Martial Godo saw his low cross turned into the net by Vestergaard. The visitors then scored twice more before the break to hold a 3-0 lead at the halfway point.

Oliver O'Neill then scored twice in the first seven minutes of the second half to complete his hat-trick, leaving City 5-0 down after 52 minutes. Fulham added another two before full-time to rub salt into the Leicester wounds.

Vestergaard completed the match in the centre of a back three alongside former Aston Villa FA Youth Cup winner Paul Appiah and 18-year-old Tom Wilson-Brown. The under-21s are allowed to play five overage outfield players, plus an overage goalkeeper, which explains why Vestergaard was able to play in the game.

The result leaves the youngsters 10th in the Premier League 2 Division 1 table, with eight points from their opening eight games. Tonight they suffered their fourth defeat of the season, having picked up two wins and two draws. They sit above Man United and Tottenham in the table, though, which shows supporters not to read too much into results.

While development of players is of course the key focus, Leicester put a lot of weight on results as players prepare for life in the first team - where they need to develop a winning mentality to thrive in the Premier League. The youngsters will look to put this learning curve behind them with an EFL Trophy trip to Sheffield Wednesday next Tuesday. They then host Arsenal under-21s in the league six days later.

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2848205/one-of-those-nights-petty-admits

One Of Those Nights, Petty Admits
DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

Ben Petty gave an honest assessment of the Leicester City Development Squad’s display after a heavy defeat to Fulham.

Leicester City U21s 0 Fulham U21s 7
Foxes Under-21s Beaten By Fulham

Three goals down by half-time at LCFC Training Ground, the Foxes youngsters were unable to stop the relentless Cottagers in the second half, conceding four more times, with a hat-trick from Oliver O’Neill, a brace for Luke Harris and Oliver Sanderson’s strike contributing to a 7-0 scoreline.

Speaking in the aftermath of the game, Petty admitted to LCFC TV that the team did not quite know what had hit them and never recovered from the early setbacks.

“We’re pretty shellshocked,” City’s coach acknowledged. “I definitely wasn’t expecting that performance, especially after the two great away performances at Chelsea and Bradford. We just spoke to the players there about the highs and lows of football.

I have to remember that it’s a very young side with four scholars. I need to make sure that they get the right experience, because we think they are really good players.

Ben Petty LCFC TV
“We’ve had that in the space of six days. Winning at Bradford on penalties and a great performance and then serving up a dismal display tonight, if I’m honest, and finding it difficult against a very good Fulham side.

“I have to remember that it’s a very young team with four scholars. I need to make sure that they get the right experience, because we think they are really good players. They found it tough tonight.”

Lacking the more experienced Under-21s players, captain Lewis Brunt was originally named in the starting XI before having to be replaced by Brandon Cover, while neither Sammy Braybrooke nor Oliver Ewing were present in midfield. Wanya Marcal-Madivadua remains absent and both Kasey McAteer and Paul Appiah had to be brought off at the break.

The 45-year-old explained: “Without Lewis [Brunt] and Sammy [Braybrooke], and Kasey [McAteer] and Paul [Appiah] getting knocks, it was one of those nights where nothing really went for us.

Petty: We Found It Difficult
Ben Petty speaks to LCFC TV after Leicester City's Development Squad were beaten by Fulham Under-21s at LCFC Training Ground.

“We lost Lewis in the warm-up unfortunately. With the Development Squad, you’ve got to be very cautious sometimes and there was no point in risking Lewis or Kasey at half-time. They are just niggles and hopefully will only be a couple of days to a week.

“But they’ll get assessed and we’ll get them back on the pitch as soon as possible. I think, at this level, we’re talking about developing young players, it’s not for risking them with injury.”

Leicester’s heaviest defeat of the campaign by some distance, it leaves the team 10th in Premier League 2 Division 1, remaining on eight points from as many games, with two weeks until the next league fixture and eight days before they play in the Papa Johns Trophy.

Petty added: “We’ve got to take it on the chin. It’s a massive disappointment but we’ll recover well and go again. We’ll be back in sync for Sheffield Wednesday next week I’m sure.”

https://www.lcfc.com/news/2847428/foxes-under-21s-beaten-by-fulham

Foxes Under-21s Beaten By Fulham
DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

Leicester City's Development Squad fell to a 7-0 defeat by Fulham Under-21s at LCFC Training Ground on Monday evening.
Leicester City U21s 0 Fulham U21s 7
Petty: We Found It Difficult
Three first-half goals put the away side into a commanding position, before Ollie O'Neill scored twice more to complete his hat-trick and a comprehensive away triumph was completed by Luke Harris and Oliver Sanderson.

Two changes were made from the team that faced Bradford City in the Papa Johns Trophy in midweek as Sammy Braybrooke and Iestyn Hughes were replaced by Brandon Cover and Denmark centre-back Jannik Vestergaard, who was handed minutes as part of a back three.

Tawanda Maswanhise placed the first shot on target into the arms of Michael Allen, who was quick to get down, while Harris' left-footed fierce strike had to be palmed away by Chituru Odunze.

From their next attack, the Cottagers opened the scoring. Martial Godo's low cross was met by Vestergaard, who could only divert into his own net. The defender then had to be alert to block Harris' powerful drive, but Fulham doubled their advantage from the resulting corner.

O'Neill's corner was headed in at the back post by Harris after Connor MacAvoy flicked the ball on. The same pair were involved again soon after, with skipper O'Neill flicking on to Harris to strike narrowly wide. 

The away side continued to remain in the ascendancy, with a cross from Luciano D'Auria Henry poked past the post by O'Neill, who was on the scoresheet on 34 minutes, meeting Harris' through to convert past Odunze. 

At the other end, Joe Wormleighton's deep cross was expertly controlled by Maswanhise, but Fulham's 'keeper stood tall to keep out his effort on goal. Henry Cartwright's resulting corner was headed on by Vestergaard, with Maswanhise waiting at the back post, though the forward could not beat Allen. 

Two half-time substitutions saw the introductions of Terell Pennant and Hughes for Kasey McAteer and Paul Appiah and the home side did start brightly as Pennant's shot deflected into Allen's path.

But Leicester were masters of their own downfall and when Will Alves gave away possession, Fulham capitalised. Godo's cross was headed in at the back post by O'Neill on 49 minutes. 

O'Neill completed his hat-trick just three minutes later, firing home from a tight angle on the left. 

Chris Popov's free-kick curled over the crossbar in a rare sighting of goal for the Foxes youngsters and that would be his last involvement, replaced by Kian Pennant for the final half an hour in Seagrave. 

With just over a quarter of an hour to go, O'Neill set up Sanderson to tap in a sixth from close range as the Cottagers were clinical in forward areas. 

City battled on until the end, though when Kian Pennant's mazy run through the midfield set up a chance to take aim, it was wayward and off target, as was Cover's effort from a Maswanhise cross.

A seventh goal arrived with 79 minutes on the clock, Harris flicked in first-time from Henry's cross to complete the scoring.

Major moment – First-half goals
Conceding three times in the opening 45 minutes was a setback that City were unable to recover from, going further behind with four second-half goals as they pushed to try and get back into the game.

Where do we stand? – 10th position
City sit 10th in Premier League 2 Division 1, on eight points from eight games, ahead of playing Arsenal in their next league match at LCFC Training Ground on Monday 24 October (7pm kick-off). 

Coming up – Sheff Wed (A)
The young Foxes must turn attention back to the cup next week.

Leicester's final group game in the Papa Johns Trophy is next up on Tuesday 18 October (7pm kick-off), away to Sky Bet League 1 side Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. A win could see the Foxes progress into the knockout stages. 

The details...

City: Odunze; Appiah (Hughes 45'), Vestergaard, Wilson-Brown; Wormleighton, Cover, Cartwright, McAteer (c) (T. Pennant 45'); Alves, Maswanhise; Popov (K. Pennant 63').

Sub not used: Doherty.

7 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Im actually on the u21 coaching set up and what I will say is we lacked intensity and aggression in our game. We didn't lack the desire, you can see that. It's a test for me. A position I haven't been in before but I won't shy away from it. It's a wonderful group. Great characters. We played well in spells but clearly we can't keep conceding like this at this level because you'll be punished. I've got no doubt we will turn it around. 

Thanks Brendan for the update

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure 'one of those nights' explains away playing hoofball, switching formation FOUR times in the first half and ending the game with your best talent (Alves), having to collect the ball from the edge of his own area to get anything going.

Training Ground Guru have released their Academy Productivity Rankings for 21/22

We were ranked 18th for 20/21, and have dropped to 21st for 21/22 - 13th of Prem teams

How many players in the Top 6 English leagues were at some point in our academy before they turned 18 basically

If the players were at multiple acadamies then points are split

This is only players who are classed as English on Fbref, so Schlupp for example is excluded

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1