Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

Much as I hate Rodgers, I can understand why none of these lads are selected as they are just not physically strong enough yet. Seeing Braybrooke & Wormleighton last night, they looked like they have just started secondary school & Thomas still looks feeble, he just has not filled out.

The lads have ability but in the Premier League strength & a phisicality are a must

• Like 1

The stars have to align for Rodgers to play youth players. What’s the point in building Seagrave for £100m if we have a manager who’ll never give them a chance ?

Even 5 minutes here and there does wonders.

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Calling the manager for not blooding a youngster in the last 5 minutes against Leeds is just odd.

When you have won one game in 10, its not thr time. At the moment in our position its about points, and nothing more. 

I'd happily criticises him for not blooding them in loads of games of the last few seasons. 

But now is not the time.

Agree about Leeds but he had an opportunity against forest and didn't take it. He also had the league cup game to bed a couple of young players in and didn't.

He approach to the youth players must be getting called out behind the scenes as it isn't good enough.

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Calling the manager for not blooding a youngster in the last 5 minutes against Leeds is just odd.

When you have won one game in 10, its not thr time. At the moment in our position its about points, and nothing more. 

I'd happily criticises him for not blooding them in loads of games of the last few seasons. 

But now is not the time.

He would have needed to bring one of them on with kel as only three ‘changes’ allowed.

so probably taking KDH off with barnes 

I don’t think he felt we were comfortable enough to do that.  The spectre of that spurs game plus other late equalisers hangs heavy over us 

• Like 2

From an article from The Merc mainly about Joe Wormleighton making the bench against Leeds, although this bit is about academy players in general:

"City's academy is on a successful streak at the moment. The club are now up to 194 consecutive matches in which there has been at least one academy graduate in the matchday squad, a run that goes back to December 2018."

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-leeds-joe-wormleighton-rodgers-7734218

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-leeds-joe-wormleighton-rodgers-7734218

'Tenacious' Leicester City starlet given greater drive to become starter
Joe Wormleighton became the latest youngster from the academy to make it into a senior matchday squad after appearing on the bench for the win over Leeds on Thursday

ByJordan Blackwell
19:48, 21 OCT 2022
0_Joe-Wormleighton.jpg
Joe Wormleighton was on the bench for Leicester City's win over Leeds (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

Joe Wormleighton should have an even greater desire to make himself a starter at Leicester City after he was given his first opportunity in the senior squad.

The 18-year-old right-back was on the bench for City in their 2-0 win over Leeds on Thursday night, injuries opening up a spot for an academy youngster to take. Wormleighton is just the latest local lad to get a taste of a first-team matchday.

Growing up in Whetstone, Wormleighton was one of five homegrown City players in the squad on Thursday night, alongside Harvey Barnes, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Luke Thomas, and Sammy Braybrooke. It’s been a quick rise for the right-back, who did not even make his first Under-21s start until February this year.

Formerly a winger, he has the attacking attributes to make it as a modern-day full-back, while he’s shown a willingness to get stuck in defensively too. City boss Brendan Rodgers said: “It was just to give him the experience. We work closely with the Under-21s and it’s important they feel they get the reward for doing well.

“Joe’s a local boy, he loves Leicester City, he’s come through the ranks here. He’s very tenacious as a defender. He’s working on his lines of pass.

“He’s a young guy that is so committed to learning. He’s trained with us quite a few times and I’ve always liked him, and when we speak to Ben [Petty], our Under-21s coach, he’s reinforced how well he’s been doing.

“It’s a nice opportunity when there’s a space on the bench to bring him in, give him a feel for the preparation and intensity of the game. He’ll go away hopefully feeling better for that and hopefully with more drive and ambition to be a starter at some point in his career here.”

City's academy is on a successful streak at the moment. The club are now up to 194 consecutive matches in which there has been at least one academy graduate in the matchday squad, a run that goes back to December 2018.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

'Tenacious' Leicester City starlet given greater drive to become starter
Joe Wormleighton became the latest youngster from the academy to make it into a senior matchday squad after appearing on the bench for the win over Leeds on Thursday

ByJordan Blackwell
19:48, 21 OCT 2022
0_Joe-Wormleighton.jpg
Joe Wormleighton was on the bench for Leicester City's win over Leeds (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

Joe Wormleighton should have an even greater desire to make himself a starter at Leicester City after he was given his first opportunity in the senior squad.

The 18-year-old right-back was on the bench for City in their 2-0 win over Leeds on Thursday night, injuries opening up a spot for an academy youngster to take. Wormleighton is just the latest local lad to get a taste of a first-team matchday.

Growing up in Whetstone, Wormleighton was one of five homegrown City players in the squad on Thursday night, alongside Harvey Barnes, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Luke Thomas, and Sammy Braybrooke. It’s been a quick rise for the right-back, who did not even make his first Under-21s start until February this year.

Formerly a winger, he has the attacking attributes to make it as a modern-day full-back, while he’s shown a willingness to get stuck in defensively too. City boss Brendan Rodgers said: “It was just to give him the experience. We work closely with the Under-21s and it’s important they feel they get the reward for doing well.

“Joe’s a local boy, he loves Leicester City, he’s come through the ranks here. He’s very tenacious as a defender. He’s working on his lines of pass.

“He’s a young guy that is so committed to learning. He’s trained with us quite a few times and I’ve always liked him, and when we speak to Ben [Petty], our Under-21s coach, he’s reinforced how well he’s been doing.

“It’s a nice opportunity when there’s a space on the bench to bring him in, give him a feel for the preparation and intensity of the game. He’ll go away hopefully feeling better for that and hopefully with more drive and ambition to be a starter at some point in his career here.”

City's academy is on a successful streak at the moment. The club are now up to 194 consecutive matches in which there has been at least one academy graduate in the matchday squad, a run that goes back to December 2018.

I'm glad the club are aware of Wormleighton's talent, sometimes as fans we can be way off it with academy players (well I can anyway 😂) but this lad just goes about his business really well. It's why I think out of all of them including Braybrooke (who I think will play PL football regularly) and Alves (World at his feet if he progresses as expected) I think has the best chance of making it here, I don't see a weakness in his game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm glad the club are aware of Wormleighton's talent, sometimes as fans we can be way off it with academy players (well I can anyway 😂) but this lad just goes about his business really well. It's why I think out of all of them including Braybrooke (who I think will play PL football regularly) and Alves (World at his feet if he progresses as expected) I think has the best chance of making it here, I don't see a weakness in his game.

This was posted in the comments

BE
bendebeau12 HRS AGO

This not the time to be ''blooding'' young talent.

If, and we all wish if, we get out of a fight for survival, then i would hope that the management would start to introduce these young guys into the starting squad. But only when we are safe and can start looking forward. At the moment we are looking backwards, throwing a scared look over our shoulders. Get into mid-table, comfortable and we can start to look to the future with these players from the academy. So' let's not talk of bringing them in to the ''cauldron'' of PL football. In the final words of Gladiator, ''NOT YET, NOT YET.''

I've replied

davieG3 MIN AGO
Reply to bendebeau - view message
This is always the cry, this is not the time. The problem is it's never the right time no matter where we are in the table we're always looking for points as the cliché goes - points means money. Surely the criteria should be "are they good enough, do they have the physical and mental attributes to play"?
  • Like 4

Under 18s are playing at home vs Crystal Palace, currently 1-1 at half time

Reece Evans scored, Amani Richards assist

image.png.ad6cf627b55b4b296f0cbbc5c9b021e0.png

Subs: Tyler Weeks, Bobby Amartey, Toby Onanaye, Yassin Toure, Cheyenne Loureiro

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Under 18s are playing at home vs Crystal Palace, currently 1-1 at half time

Reece Evans scored, Amani Richards assist

image.png.ad6cf627b55b4b296f0cbbc5c9b021e0.png

Subs: Tyler Weeks, Bobby Amartey, Toby Onanaye, Yassin Toure, Cheyenne Loureiro

Wanya Marca's brother on the bench. I wonder when Trey Nyoni will get moved up, he'd the star of the U16's.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

This was posted in the comments

BE
bendebeau12 HRS AGO

This not the time to be ''blooding'' young talent.

If, and we all wish if, we get out of a fight for survival, then i would hope that the management would start to introduce these young guys into the starting squad. But only when we are safe and can start looking forward. At the moment we are looking backwards, throwing a scared look over our shoulders. Get into mid-table, comfortable and we can start to look to the future with these players from the academy. So' let's not talk of bringing them in to the ''cauldron'' of PL football. In the final words of Gladiator, ''NOT YET, NOT YET.''

I've replied

davieG3 MIN AGO
Reply to bendebeau - view message
This is always the cry, this is not the time. The problem is it's never the right time no matter where we are in the table we're always looking for points as the cliché goes - points means money. Surely the criteria should be "are they good enough, do they have the physical and mental attributes to play"?

Not just that, but an academy talent coming through and actually doing well could lift the mood among the fans as well as the players and coaches at Seagrave.

If they're good enough, chuck them on. For example, Alves could be dynamite if he's released on the right-hand side and allowed to play his game.

6 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Not just that, but an academy talent coming through and actually doing well could lift the mood among the fans as well as the players and coaches at Seagrave.

If they're good enough, chuck them on. For example, Alves could be dynamite if he's released on the right-hand side and allowed to play his game.

Alves needs to be more consistent at under 21 level first. I know he's not been helped by being played out of position at times, but he had a really poor start this season, and just seems to be finding a bit of form again now. Hopefullly he can go on from here, but he still has a way to go before we can start screaming "get him in the first team". I would welcome Braybrooke being given a chance off the bench though at times, and think he could have been given a chance against Leeds after 70 minutes, for KDH, who was out on his feet, and should have been subbed off but wasn't.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Alves needs to be more consistent at under 21 level first. I know he's not been helped by being played out of position at times, but he had a really poor start this season, and just seems to be finding a bit of form again now. Hopefullly he can go on from here, but he still has a way to go before we can start screaming "get him in the first team". I would welcome Braybrooke being given a chance off the bench though at times, and think he could have been given a chance against Leeds after 70 minutes, for KDH, who was out on his feet, and should have been subbed off but wasn't.

Agreed

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

I would welcome Braybrooke being given a chance off the bench though at times, and think he could have been given a chance against Leeds after 70 minutes, for KDH, who was out on his feet, and should have been subbed off but wasn't.

.....how many times have we seen this, it is dangerous and could have a big impact on the team and player down the line!!!

Braybrooke is a player who seems to get better as the game wears on, The oppositions are either tiring or dropping off and allowing him the space and time to play. He comes to life in these situations and he is always driving the team forward never letting up and not giving the opposition a chance to rest. 

You just know that he will be a great influence on the team, he just needs to be introduced to it, first.

• Like 1

Anyone going tonight? 

Hoping for a slightly better game than Fulham lol 

Hoping Braybrooke gets some game time as there's plenty of time between now and a bench spot on Saturday, and obviously didn't feature in the squad yesterday.

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Anyone going tonight? 

Hoping for a slightly better game than Fulham lol 

Hoping Braybrooke gets some game time as there's plenty of time between now and a bench spot on Saturday, and obviously didn't feature in the squad yesterday.

Is it going to be on the website?