Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

Felt a bit sorry for Brunt as he has never played at right back before, is much more of a left sided player, and since he joined us has either been a centre back or left back

Thought McAteer made some good late runs into the back post throughout the game, and ended up being involved in the goal as a result of one of those runs

Both need to get out on loan, though I expect both players will end up playing around the League 1 / 2 level once they leave us

Very disappointed Braybrooke didn't get off the bench, and that Maswanhise wasn't at least in the match day squad

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I've never been convinced by Brunt when I've seen him, and today confirmed my misgivings about him. No where near the level, and McAteer will never play higher than league one, and that may be stretching it a bit too. For me we have 3 players from the under 21s who have a chance. Braybrooke, who I think has a great chance, and should have played today in my opinion, and how he never got any minutes at all, was a real shame.  Wormleighton, I really like. This boy loves a tackle, and is aggressive and  fearless, I'm just hoping he don't get that knocked out of him by the coaches, that is a worry.  The other is of course Alves, who to be honest, hasn't set the under 21s alight, but is full of natural talent, that again I feel may be being stifled by the coaches.  Certainly he needs to be passing and releasing the ball more, but he has to be allowed to express himself too. Other than those three I don't see any of the others currently in the 23s making the step up to a premier league level. 

All our academy players get dismissed by some on here. Chilwell, Hamza, Barnes, Thomas and now even KDH. If these young players read this forum , and some probably do, they must think that LCFC was a bad choice. Let's have a little patience. If these players take a bit of time to improve so be it. We do not want one season wonders.

• Like 1

Difficult to say much based on today. I thought they both Burnt and McAteer worked hard and were not bad at all but look a way off the level we need right now. Both didn't look technically the most gifted but the pitch wasn't the best. Both need to be loaned out as I can't see them really many appearances this season unless we get even more injuries.

What I did think today underlined what I've felt for a while in regards to our youth set up and that we simply need to look at the whole coaching approach. Have we got the best coaches we could get for eg? How does the playing ethos of the youth teams compare to that of the first team?

Seems a lot of things we could possibly improve on. We don't seem to have a regular supply of youth team players who can step up. Just one every now and then. Maybe that's the same for most clubs but I do feel we could better here.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Felt a bit sorry for Brunt as he has never played at right back before, is much more of a left sided player, and since he joined us has either been a centre back or left back

Thought McAteer made some good late runs into the back post throughout the game, and ended up being involved in the goal as a result of one of those runs

Both need to get out on loan, though I expect both players will end up playing around the League 1 / 2 level once they leave us

Very disappointed Braybrooke didn't get off the bench, and that Maswanhise wasn't at least in the match day squad

he still hasn't played right back he was on the right of a 3, only Rodgers could managed to play a back 3 of CBs that all want to be on the left

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

he still hasn't played right back he was on the right of a 3, only Rodgers could managed to play a back 3 of CBs that all want to be on the left

Definitely played as much more of a right back / right back wing

image.png.8b84d1e202fd53fce6e72fe813d655cb.png

image.png.0f811a0d22b23f4fff9cc374bcfbd121.png

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Definitely played as much more of a right back / right back wing

image.png.8b84d1e202fd53fce6e72fe813d655cb.png

image.png.0f811a0d22b23f4fff9cc374bcfbd121.png

we had so much of the ball he was pushed up higher and wide but we played a 343, Brunt was the defender bringing the ball out Cags didn't seem interested in doing so on the other side

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

we had so much of the ball he was pushed up higher and wide but we played a 343, Brunt was the defender bringing the ball out Cags didn't seem interested in doing so on the other side

I still think it was more of a 442 / 424 with Brunt at right back

Still Brunt was playing nowhere near where he has on a pitch before

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

All our academy players get dismissed by some on here. Chilwell, Hamza, Barnes, Thomas and now even KDH. If these young players read this forum , and some probably do, they must think that LCFC was a bad choice. Let's have a little patience. If these players take a bit of time to improve so be it. We do not want one season wonders.

Chilwell was always highly rated, and it could be seen early that he had a great chance. Barnes too. Both benefited from loans out where they thrived. Thomas was thrust into the first team very early and done very well, but he has his limitations, but is young enough to get better. KDH for me always looked like he had something, but staggeringly was quite late getting his loans out, but again he thrived and it was the making of him. That said  his reliance on his left foot is a drawback, because at top level clubs are looking to find any weakness that opposing players have, and I suspect that its now other clubs have become aware of him, that he is becoming less effective. He still gives us more drive and energy than anyone else though, and that's why i would continue to play him.

If Braybrooke,  Wormleighton and Alves who I spoke of in my previous post do make it, then that isn't a bad ratio of success. The vast majority of young lads will either end up in the lower leagues or in non league, and that's fine, at least they were good enough to be given a shot at the big time, it's no disgrace if it doesn't happen for them. 

The only one of our graduates who has not continually improved is Barnes. He has plateaued and is now a good player but probably will remain at this level. The others will get better incrementally and become very good players but it will take time and we have to be patient. We need them to succeed anyway with our lack of funds. Chilwell was replaceable at less cost by Justin which was one of Rodgers's few real successes.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

The only one of our graduates who has not continually improved is Barnes. He has plateaued and is now a good player but probably will remain at this level. The others will get better incrementally and become very good players but it will take time and we have to be patient. We need them to succeed anyway with our lack of funds. Chilwell was replaceable at less cost by Justin which was one of Rodgers's few real successes.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The problem is without madders our attack is so one dimensional (Barnes) he's getting targeted by teams slot more and this has stifled his play and I think shot his confidence a bit. 

Play with madders and a right winger (if we ever buy one) and I think we will see him take it up a level as there will be more space for him on the pitch

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. The problem is without madders our attack is so one dimensional (Barnes) he's getting targeted by teams slot more and this has stifled his play and I think shot his confidence a bit. 

Play with madders and a right winger (if we ever buy one) and I think we will see him take it up a level as there will be more space for him on the pitch

You could well be right but my real point is our graduates are becoming more and more important to us as we appear to be finding it very difficult in the transfer market.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

You could well be right but my real point is our graduates are becoming more and more important to us as we appear to be finding it very difficult in the transfer market.

Can't disagree with that

6 hours ago, smudger63 said:

Chilwell was always highly rated, and it could be seen early that he had a great chance. Barnes too. Both benefited from loans out where they thrived. Thomas was thrust into the first team very early and done very well, but he has his limitations, but is young enough to get better. KDH for me always looked like he had something, but staggeringly was quite late getting his loans out, but again he thrived and it was the making of him. That said  his reliance on his left foot is a drawback, because at top level clubs are looking to find any weakness that opposing players have, and I suspect that its now other clubs have become aware of him, that he is becoming less effective. He still gives us more drive and energy than anyone else though, and that's why i would continue to play him.

If Braybrooke,  Wormleighton and Alves who I spoke of in my previous post do make it, then that isn't a bad ratio of success. The vast majority of young lads will either end up in the lower leagues or in non league, and that's fine, at least they were good enough to be given a shot at the big time, it's no disgrace if it doesn't happen for them. 

...you can see the pattern!!!

The players go out on loan and thrive, they get positive coaching and a belief in themselves.Thomas is stalling, KDH is struggling as Rodgers does not endorse him. Barnes is very much hit and miss, being coached by our backroom staff really not something to shout about.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you can see the pattern!!!

The players go out on loan and thrive, they get positive coaching and a belief in themselves.Thomas is stalling, KDH is struggling as Rodgers does not endorse him. Barnes is very much hit and miss, being coached by our backroom staff really not something to shout about.

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he us struggling and is not performing at his best, there are too many games where he is nowhere near when he broke into the team!!!

Rodgers uses him for energy and workrate, he does not bring much more to the table otherwise. 

No about Rodgers, not endorsing him?

10 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

absolute rubbish. If you can’t look past the last 3 games then it’s you that needs to improve not him. 

He’s not in good form, it’s as simple as that. The difference with barnes and someone like maddison is that barnes essentially is either instructed to, or has built his game around running at players, cutting in and shooting. He essentially does the same thing everytime… but when he’s on it, that results in goals. When he’s not… well it’s much more noticeable because every failure is essentially giving the ball away. 

He’s not going to get credit in the bank for all the through balls he sends for vardy or the work rate to defend. we have to take those bad performances and understand that on another day he scores 2.  

the lad is the only goal threat other than the striker when maddison is out and there’s a lot on his shoulders in the regard, but we should be grateful to have someone like him. Most clubs would love to have him 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

absolute rubbish. If you can’t look past the last 3 games then it’s you that needs to improve not him. 

He’s not in good form, it’s as simple as that. The difference with barnes and someone like maddison is that barnes essentially is either instructed to, or has built his game around running at players, cutting in and shooting. He essentially does the same thing everytime… but when he’s on it, that results in goals. When he’s not… well it’s much more noticeable because every failure is essentially giving the ball away. 

He’s not going to get credit in the bank for all the through balls he sends for vardy or the work rate to defend. we have to take those bad performances and understand that on another day he scores 2.  

the lad is the only goal threat other than the striker when maddison is out and there’s a lot on his shoulders in the regard, but we should be grateful to have someone like him. Most clubs would love to have him 

I understand your position and I agree he is still a major goal threat. At the very top though you need cunning and a sharp brain and Harvey , to me anyway , lacks those qualities. He is 25 now and I don't expect him to change much.

20 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I understand your position and I agree he is still a major goal threat. At the very top though you need cunning and a sharp brain and Harvey , to me anyway , lacks those qualities. He is 25 now and I don't expect him to change much.

Why would you want him to change? He's a top player playing in tbe best league in world. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Soyuncu’s side was pressed far higher than Brunt’s. It was clearly a tactic of Gillingham’s to encourage the ball to go to Brunt as they left space for him. Tbf it worked well for the first 45 minutes when Brunt didn’t push forward.

31 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I don't , as long as he gets double figures every season , he is doing his job and I am happy. I am just commenting on why he frustrates so many on here. They expect him to be a more complete player than he is . So does Rodgers.

20 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Thought they both did well,  Brunt got more comfortable as the game went on.

Think Brunt would have just love having a start, I bet he would have played anywhere.

7 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Barnes is biggest problem is that we don’t have any suitable cover. When he’s having a bad day, we literally have no options to bring on and for most players when you’re having a bad game, it doesn’t tend to improve.  Having lookman last year was so refreshing as you just had that option to freshen things up that we lack. 

one thing i’m sure of though, whatever winger we bring in… their output  won’t be as good as barnes.