Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

We clearly had no intention of sending him out on loan anyway otherwise he wouldn't have played today.

No way are you sending someone down to Brighton the day before deadline day if you've got options lined up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

That Appiah looks absolutley wank 😂

Biggest mystery of the season in the u23's

Plays every game, looks about 30, sticks out like a sore thumb for all the wrong reasons.

First thing he does when he gets the ball is launch it down the right flank and hope for the best.

Not built for football that lad! 

Just now, AjcW said:

Biggest mystery of the season in the u23's

Plays every game, looks about 30, sticks out like a sore thumb for all the wrong reasons.

First thing he does when he gets the ball is launch it down the right flank and hope for the best.

Not built for football that lad! 

Good example of how not to trust a football fan opinion on ability. A fair few after his very first appearance v Notts County this summer were saying what a find. 

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Good example of how not to trust a football fan opinion on ability. A fair few after his very first appearance v Notts County this summer were saying what a find. 

Typical debut hype that isn’t it. It’s only later in the season when you read the opinions of those who watch these games (like me) that you get a true read of it. 

He just looks a bit too bulky for me, great example is what has happened with Anthony Joshua taking his strength training too far and ends up sluggish for it and getting beaten over and over! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

I don’t really get why people think young players should be restricted to a single position. Player develops more learning a variety of positions. Acclaimed academics such as Ajax and Bayern constantly change a players position. 

...this is not to emulate the Ajax system,  this is just some convoluted nonsense that has been put in place by the people charged to over see our academy.

Just take a look at other teams and you can see a structure in their play, we do not have this as we have players seemingly thrown together to make up a team.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...this is not to emulate the Ajax system,  this is just some convoluted nonsense that has been put in place by the people charged to over see our academy.

Just take a look at other teams and you can see a structure in their play, we do not have this as we have players seemingly thrown together to make up a team.

Don’t care if it’s by chance, good for the lad in a barely competitive game to learn a role. 

On 30/01/2023 at 17:04, The_Rorab said:

So I decided in my frustration at the fact we're just utterly dross at loans and sending players out on loan to look at the 19 other Prem clubs to see how many youth players they have out on loan comparative to us. I've made some judgement calls on players as to whether they count (anyone above 24 I've not counted and anyone that I'd consider far more of a first team squad player before the loan I haven't counted.)

Arsenal: 15 players loaned out

Aston Villa: 16 players loaned out

Bournemouth: 12 players loaned out

Brentford: 10 players loaned out

Brighton: 21 players loaned out

Chelsea: 24 players loaned out

Crystal Palace: 16 players loaned out

Everton: 12 players loaned out

Fulham: 17 players loaned out

Leeds: 11 players loaned out

Liverpool: 18 players loaned out

Man City: 19 players loaned out

Man U: 11 players loaned out

Newcastle: 9 players loaned out

Nottm Forest: 15 players loaned out

Southampton: 13 players loaned out

Tottenham: 4 players loaned out

West Ham: 10 players loaned out

Wolves: 17 players loaned out

Other than notable outlier Spurs with their 4, and I guess maybe Newcastle with 9, there's no club below 10 loans this season.

Let's move onto us.

Leicester: 6 players loaned out, of those currently only 4 are still loaned out and 2 of them are Eppiah and Hirst who are 24 and 23 and who I don't think have any future at the club.

Albeit I haven't exactly dissected every loanee on other teams to see if I think they're probably loans that aren't for the sake of development versus just getting them out, but it's horrific reading imo - and anyone who says things like oh well there has to be interest in our youth players for us to loan them out is frankly ridiculous imo unless you're saying that basically all 19 other Premier league clubs magically all had teams interested in their players and we just for some unknowable reason didn't.

Questions imo have to be asked of our club (I mean, other than the hundreds of other reasons that questions have to asked of our shambles of a club rn) - why are we not loaning out players and not really blooding any of them either? They're just sitting in the U21s, until they're aged out and then that's that for most of them when at nearly every other club they'd be getting league football to test their mettle and see if they have what it takes.

Hell, most of our youth products are only where they are because of loans - KDH and Barnes got their chances with us directly because of stellar loan spells. Hamza, Liam Moore, Chilwell and Schlupp back a while back had loans before we blooded them in. Only Thomas has jumped straight into the first team and honestly I think the jury is still out as to whether he's good enough yet for a place in a Prem team.

It just screams of the same vibe that runs through the club at the moment, that we have no idea what we're actually doing, and are just puttering along mindlessly hoping it all magically resolves itself - that Top will wave his magic wand and fix the multiple glaring issues at the club.

In all honesty I don't know if I would want to join us as a youth player at this point in time - we just seem to collect players, never play them until they're at least 22 if we ever do, rarely loan them out, if they're a striker ignore them to play midfielders up front, and probably give them a long-term injury or two.

What a GREAT post...!  :appl:

Well researched and the points you make are absoiutely spot-on.....and should be equally concerning to all who run the club if they are actually paying any attention to this?.

JR runs the Academy from top to bottom and absolutely nothing gets sorted without his say so

The buck stops with him and no one else

Guess the Academy costs a few million quid to run each year but Barnes , KDH , Braybrooke etc values totally dwarf those costs ( plus past revenue from Chilly , Jeff etc ) so some will say what is the problem 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramadaone said:

JR runs the Academy from top to bottom and absolutely nothing gets sorted without his say so

The buck stops with him and no one else

Guess the Academy costs a few million quid to run each year but Barnes , KDH , Braybrooke etc values totally dwarf those costs ( plus past revenue from Chilly , Jeff etc ) so some will say what is the problem 

It is a great and hugely cost effective academy that lacks ambition essentially.