Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

On 02/02/2023 at 06:15, BroughtonFox said:

He’s going to be out way into next season so surely if we offer him a new deal he takes it. Otherwise he’ll be jobless in the summer and won’t get a new club for a while :dunno:

I might be wrong but im not sure clubs can release players when they are recovering from long-term injury as i think they may have a duty (possibly just a moral call?) of medical care if the player sustains long-term injury while in their employment.

At academy level, it was certainly the case that any scholars who missed their 2nd year through injury were generally given a 1 year extension to their scholarship as approved by the EPL.

Hopefully, Alves will be given at least 1 further year on same terms while he is still convalescing as other clubs will probably not be willing to take on the risk or medical/rehab costs associated with his recovery 

• Like 1

Mercury

Given the recent success of City’s academy, it’s always worth keeping tabs on those doing well in the youth ranks ahead of a potential rise to the first team. One such name to remember is that of striker Josh King.

He’s just been called up to Scotland’s Under-16s for a tournament in Cyprus at the end of the month having made three appearances for City’s Under-18s over the past few weeks.

That comes off the back of an excellent scoring run with City’s Under-16s. Twice this season, against Liverpool and Aston Villa, he’s scored five goals in a game.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Sounds like there was a game bertrand and ricardo played in? 

Today's Press Conference

“He’s looked great, he’ll come into the squad. He played 70 minutes. Him and Ryan Bertrand played. Those two have been out for a long time, they got through the game. He’ll now come into the squad. That’s fantastic news for us.”

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Today's Press Conference

“He’s looked great, he’ll come into the squad. He played 70 minutes. Him and Ryan Bertrand played. Those two have been out for a long time, they got through the game. He’ll now come into the squad. That’s fantastic news for us.”

2 things…. 1) that’s sounds like a snub of bertrand (rightly so) almost just brushing past the fact that he’s also back 😂

2) After a long term injury i’m not sure ricardo should be back after just 70 mins. Why not give him another 70 for the under 21s before expecting him to get up to premier league speed. We just don’t learn. 

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

2 things…. 1) that’s sounds like a snub of bertrand (rightly so) almost just brushing past the fact that he’s also back 😂

2) After a long term injury i’m not sure ricardo should be back after just 70 mins. Why not give him another 70 for the under 21s before expecting him to get up to premier league speed. We just don’t learn. 

Do we know if he had any game time before the 70? Could be on for 10mins or so.

23 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

If he’s in the squad on Saturday, he is unlikely to feature unless Castagne has to come off injured or late on as we see out a comfortable win -so just the injury scenario ! 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If he’s in the squad on Saturday, he is unlikely to feature unless Castagne has to come off injured or late on as we see out a comfortable win -so just the injury scenario ! 

Thats exactly the problem. 

It used to be a measurement that you only made the bench if you were fit enough to play 90. With our luck castagne will be down after 5 minutes and Ricardo will be chucked on. 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Do we know if he had any game time before the 70? Could be on for 10mins or so.

Would have been mentioned. He stated that he'd play his first game for the under 21s prior to this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Under 18s have just kicked off away against Fulham

Weeks, Joseph, Lindsay, Ononaye, McAlinney, Grist, Richards, Lewis, Evans, Nyoni, Ali

Subs: Addai, Cook, Amartey, Thomas, King

In the off chance anyone as idiotic as me thought it was D Amartey and L Thomas on the bench… it’s not 

I read an interesting , but complex , report on muscle development and ACL loading. The theory is that strength in certain leg muscles lessons the loading on the ACL when twisting the knee. The prevalence of injury in soccer players is much greater than it was. Pitches seem to be part of the problem as planted feet grip the surface more strongly than before. Soccer players are much leaner than previously , their body fat ratio is closely monitored. Their legs are wiry but tight and its entirely possible that they have less resilience. Sammy Braybrook's father would know all about this of course. It seems to me we have a trade off though , leaner and faster against resistance to injury.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

I read an interesting , but complex , report on muscle development and ACL loading. The theory is that strength in certain leg muscles lessons the loading on the ACL when twisting the knee. The prevalence of injury in soccer players is much greater than it was. Pitches seem to be part of the problem as planted feet grip the surface more strongly than before. Soccer players are much leaner than previously , their body fat ratio is closely monitored. Their legs are wiry but tight and its entirely possible that they have less resilience. Sammy Braybrook's father would know all about this of course. It seems to me we have a trade off though , leaner and faster against resistance to injury.

Players need the fat they often don't have to stave off ACL injuries and the pitches, somehow, are making the problem worse? (Feet gripping the ground stronger than before makes no sense to me but I'm no sports scientist).

Brendan's overtraining players (mentioned regarding Tiernary at Celtic too) and especially players coming back from injury still needs looking into. It seems, although I've not compared, that we're getting more than our fair share.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Players need the fat they often don't have to stave off ACL injuries and the pitches, somehow, are making the problem worse? (Feet gripping the ground stronger than before makes no sense to me but I'm no sports scientist).

Brendan's overtraining players (mentioned regarding Tiernary at Celtic too) and especially players coming back from injury still needs looking into. It seems, although I've not compared, that we're getting more than our fair share.

Rugby Union players have far less ACL injuries. This inspite of the need to twist and turn. Different pitches and different physical make up. There has to be a trade off somewhere.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Rugby Union players have far less ACL injuries. This inspite of the need to twist and turn. Different pitches and different physical make up. There has to be a trade off somewhere.

Is our nutrition and are our pitches significantly different from other clubs with similar facilities is the question I'm asking myself.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/verletztespieler/wettbewerb/GB1

Looks similar to the rest of the big clubs save for Arsenal.

Obviously that doesn't include the youth players.

1 minute ago, Rain King said:

Going to the U21 match tonight at the training ground. Sure I've seen it mentioned before but does anyone know if they sell food there?

Loathe to spend on food at football prices but don't think I'm gonna have time to get anything after work before going straight there.

Last time I went there was a burger van at half time in the car park!

• Like 1