Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

14 hours ago, ACF said:

Feel a little bit out of the loop Academy wise.

Obviously we have Sammy and Alves pushing on but being hampered by injuries.

Who else would be next to push through? Who are the ones to watch for?

Reece Evans, Jahmari Lindsey, Logan Briggs, Trey Nyoni are my stand outs. 

Since Heskey 30 years ago nearly , our academy has produced only one top ranked player in Chilwell. To be honest he has yet to prove he is really that good. Barnes , while often effective is below top class. KDH is very solid player with the potential to step up. Is that what you would expect from all the hundreds of young players who go through our academy? I don't really think so.

8 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Since Heskey 30 years ago nearly , our academy has produced only one top ranked player in Chilwell. To be honest he has yet to prove he is really that good. Barnes , while often effective is below top class. KDH is very solid player with the potential to step up. Is that what you would expect from all the hundreds of young players who go through our academy? I don't really think so.

It wasn't until we won the league, perhaps even after that before we could stand a chance of attracting the best potential even now it's hard to compete against the Super 6 who vacuum up all the best players both from home and abroad at a very early age.. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

It wasn't until we won the league, perhaps even after that before we could stand a chance of attracting the best potential even now it's hard to compete against the Super 6 who vacuum up all the best players both from home and abroad at a very early age.. 

Maybe that is true. Yet we are among the highest paying clubs in the PL and therefore in Europe. We have new and very expensive training facilities. What is it about us that is unattractive to ambitious young players?

32 minutes ago, AjcW said:

What's that now, about... 72 goalkeepers on the books? lol 

The one thing we're crying out for is a 16th choice youth keeper :D

Reminds me as a kid on FM just relentlessly signing players in the same position despite only being able to play one or two at a time haha.

Best of luck to the lad battling with the others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Maybe that is true. Yet we are among the highest paying clubs in the PL and therefore in Europe. We have new and very expensive training facilities. What is it about us that is unattractive to ambitious young players?

We’re not one of the Super6 who by default are more attractive to ambitious young players for many reasons.

Barnes is that level. 

• Like 3

Frog Island, the local cut on canal turn..

Ahhh Rodney,don’t worry ,.this time next year…!

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

We’re not one of the Super6 who by default are more attractive to ambitious young players for many reasons.

The very occasional player makes the grade , otherwise we are spending a great deal of time and money on players who either do not become professional footballers and are released or are sold to lower league clubs for very little money like Josh Knight . We need to improve our strike rate markedly to avoid spending huge amounts of money in the transfer market. Especially as we are receiving very meagre returns on our surplus players.

• Like 1

Define top class player? If your debating whether an England international, champions league winning player is top class then it’s pretty tough criteria to be meet.

I can’t remember the last time we didn’t have an Academy graduate in our starting 11.

We had the likes of Andy King and Jeff Schluup who won the PL with us.

Harvey Barnes goals and assists is as good as anyone in the PL outside the genuine world class players.

We had Calvin Bassey who went to Ajax for 20 odd million from rangers.

How many clubs in the country are genuinely doing much better? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Define top class player? If your debating whether an England international, champions league winning player is top class then it’s pretty tough criteria to be meet.

I can’t remember the last time we didn’t have an Academy graduate in our starting 11.

Harvey Barnes goals and assists is as good as anyone in the PL outside the genuine world class players.

I suppose its related to accepted value , not necessarily the same thing as ability. King and Schlupp were not highly valued and Bassey left us for little money. Barnes is highly valued at the moment but he will need to sustain his form more consistently to maintain that. Andy King is a player I admire greatly but he was mainly on the bench when we won the PL. The accepted starting line up had no academy graduates.

Edited by An Sionnach

6 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The very occasional player makes the grade , otherwise we are spending a great deal of time and money on players who either do not become professional footballers and are released or are sold to lower league clubs for very little money like Josh Knight . We need to improve our strike rate markedly to avoid spending huge amounts of money in the transfer market. Especially as we are receiving very meagre returns on our surplus players.

Totally agree…Coaching people & system are not being challenged.

Therefore potential youth are not being challenged…They have become nameless souls on a broken conveyer belt…

I normally don’t go down this line…but the old day Reserves produced players,the platform had oppo fans & local fans alike,looking at and taking interest in each others reserves.I would guess,our reserves attracted more supporters .

And we followed players even ,if they were passed on to, div 2,3,4 clubs..but we produced more 1st teamers who had their highs & stayed on a decent level,or just didn’t make,the cut,but brought memories to the first team experience…

more decent careers were created..The FA.youth cup was an event,and the managers had more nous on their younger charges…

These academy coaches,seems more “ jobs for the boys” instead of hard responsibilities towards end product…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

None…the games are not of what one expects…read my posts on the old time reserves..just above your post..

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

...probably if we look to bring in flair players as opposed workman like type players we might see a change to what we produce!!!

They can't all be flair players but we do recruit certain types of players.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Andy King is a player I admire greatly but he was mainly on the bench when we won the PL

Because we were in the Championship for so long and even League 1 were never going to get potential PL players at that time. We've only been in the PL  since 2014 and even then we didn't look like we were going to stay there. I'm sure it takes longer than the time we've ben in the Pl and I guess even then you could discount the 1st 2/3/4 years. So were talking about recruiting u10s and developing them into PL standard players. I think we need to wait a few more years yet to judge success. 

Of course there's always room for improvement. 

19 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

I am suprised, as I respect you as a forum poster, that you don't belive Barnes to be at the level of Chilwell. I believe it has more to do with the competition on the wing, compared with full back at international level. 

Irrespective what does that have to do with the academy? 

What are your general expectations for the academy?

Why do you think it exists? 

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Under 18s have just gone 1-0 up at home vs West Brom

Freddie Cookie goal, Mirsad Ali assist

Weeks, Joseph, Lindsay, Amartey, Grist, Cook, Richards, Lewis, King, Nyoni, Ali

Subs: Addai, McAlinney, Ononaye, Thomas, Evans

Is that a relation to Daniel?

28 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

I am suprised, as I respect you as a forum poster, that you don't belive Barnes to be at the level of Chilwell. I believe it has more to do with the competition on the wing, compared with full back at international level. 

Irrespective what does that have to do with the academy? 

What are your general expectations for the academy?

Why do you think it exists? 

Ideally, It "should" exist to enable us to develop the most talented players within our allowed catchment area to their maximum potential in the hands of the most technically gifted coaching team.

They would then hopefully progress to our 1st team to minimise our need to buy players or.......become a source of future transfer revenue. 

At times, certainly in the past when i watched it in action, it seemed to exist simply as a way to "prevent" other clubs (Forest, derby, Cov etc...)  from poaching talented local youngsters from within the LCFC catchment as there was always a sense of embarrassment if ever a 'Local' boy went on to become successful at another club as it was seen as our recruitment team "missing out". 

The expression "Fishing with Dynamite" was often used around Belvoir Drive as our Academy scouts seemed to just "hoover" up all the stand-out youngsters in the hope that one of them might prove to be "the one" in the hands of our Academy coaching staff. If you throw a lighted stick of dynamite into a lake, there is a pretty fair chance you will catch at least one fish......it doesn't make you a genius or even a good fisherman!

Of course, that all falls down if you don't actually have the calibre of Youth coaches to develop the players to their maximum potential.....which is why i always find it more significant that Chilwell, Barnes and KDH were so keen to secure loan moves rather than play for Beaglesholes U23s.....and that they developed better as players AWAY from our U23s Academy system than they ever did WITHIN it

• Like 1