Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CrispinLA in Texas

Recruitment Strategy

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

https://theathletic.com/2768692/2021/08/13/why-leicester-wanted-vestergaard-and-what-he-will-add-to-rodgers-team?source=user-shared-article

Then several weeks later Rodgers defends Vestergaard by saying he didn't expect him to have had to play much which goes against the need for a supposed experienced defender they weren't in the market for and one who they said would be a " starter ".

You missed the crucial point of him stating Evans being out for the foreseeable future, which is entirely different to the scenario you said and is what I suggested.

The fact he’s shit is something else entirely, a young player could have been shit also. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

You missed the crucial point of him stating Evans being out for the foreseeable future, which is entirely different to the scenario you said and is what I suggested.

The fact he’s shit is something else entirely, a young player could have been shit also. 

Haha I've not missed anything, I've just responded that I remembered at the time of signing Vestergaard that Rodgers said we wanted a younger defender prior to Fofana's injury. However with Fofana now out and Evans out he needed a starter so went with Vestergaard.

Then several weeks later he defended Vestergaard with this, which goes against the statement he wanted a defender who could immediately come in and start games. So what did he want? An experienced defender capable of starting games but didn't expect/want him to play as much as he did? It just added to the baffling decision to sign him.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-jannik-vestergaard-rodgers-6100044

Now we have all found it easy, to sit in from the outside, & criticise steps taken...

Without knowing what was available,who was ready to come & sign, what were the Real Funds available,who was assesed to be available,

and would be prepared and would hit the ground running.....What are/were The politics that go on between Owners,management-groups,Recruitment group &

Rodgers...Was Vestergaard,&  Bertrand the only ones we could get at such  Short time...

Being this Forum wasnt savvy to any of the above, then assumption/presumption grab the easy headlines...Unless there are any upfront ITKs who can Open the

Book for us...I prefer the @Babylon approach..

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Haha I've not missed anything, I've just responded that I remembered at the time of signing Vestergaard that Rodgers said we wanted a younger defender prior to Fofana's injury. However with Fofana now out and Evans out he needed a starter so went with Vestergaard.

Then several weeks later he defended Vestergaard with this, which goes against the statement he wanted a defender who could immediately come in and start games. So what did he want? An experienced defender capable of starting games but didn't expect/want him to play as much as he did? It just added to the baffling decision to sign him.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-jannik-vestergaard-rodgers-6100044

“The Vestergaard signing made no sense given he came in because our youngest defender got injured  if it was Evans out for 9 months I could understand but Rodgers said they went from considering another young defender if they had the funds before Fofana got injured, to scrapping that and going for experience. It was a panic buy and poor strategy. The most unsuitable signing I've seen us make since the Sven era.“

Rodger clearly stated in your link, the purchase of an older player was due to the two injuries. The injury changed the plan and is exactly what I’ve been saying about you can’t just have a strategy of buying young players. The situation dictates.

Anything after that, Rodgers coming up with excuses or trying to lift expectations off players shoulders etc is something else and nothing really to do with our strategy. He was just a shit signing. 

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

“The Vestergaard signing made no sense given he came in because our youngest defender got injured  if it was Evans out for 9 months I could understand but Rodgers said they went from considering another young defender if they had the funds before Fofana got injured, to scrapping that and going for experience. It was a panic buy and poor strategy. The most unsuitable signing I've seen us make since the Sven era.“

Rodger clearly stated in your link, the purchase of an older player was due to the two injuries. The injury changed the plan and is exactly what I’ve been saying about you can’t just have a strategy of buying young players. The situation dictates.

Anything after that, Rodgers coming up with excuses or trying to lift expectations off players shoulders etc is something else and nothing really to do with our strategy. He was just a shit signing. 

But as he then goes on to say, he didn't expect Vestergaard to play as much in those opening 8 weeks, so either he didn't think Evans would be out for very long or he still saw Vestergaard as a back up even with only 2 other CB's available and therefore completely contradicts his comments we needed an experienced player who could start games immediately.

It was a dreadful signing I agree and I also agree that strategy sometimes is dictated by circumstances but Rosgers has muddied the water on this one big time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Mad that a couple of wins at the end of the season changed you from as strongly Rodgers out as I've seen, to defending him with the same passion that Camile Vasquez has been defending Johnny Depp.

My question would be why did we sign two bang average players that have achieved nothing if we're looking for experienced heads. They don't know the club, they don't have experience of really achieving anything in the game. It was incredibly poor recruitment whichever way you look at it. About the best I can say about them, is that Bertrand looked like a competent set piece taker.

Hopefully we learn lessons and look to our academy if there is an injury rather than signing the first player that gets drawn out of a hat. Imagine that being a strategy, signing a player on a 2/3 year contract because one of your players are out for a couple of months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

But as he then goes on to say, he didn't expect Vestergaard to play as much in those opening 8 weeks, so either he didn't think Evans would be out for very long or he still saw Vestergaard as a back up even with only 2 other CB's available and therefore completely contradicts his comments we needed an experienced player who could start games immediately.

It was a dreadful signing I agree and I also agree that strategy sometimes is dictated by circumstances but Rosgers has muddied the water on this one big time.

Or he bought a shit player and made excuses afterwards, not for the first time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Mad that a couple of wins at the end of the season changed you from as strongly Rodgers out as I've seen, to defending him with the same passion that Camile Vasquez has been defending Johnny Depp.

My question would be why did we sign two bang average players that have achieved nothing if we're looking for experienced heads. They don't know the club, they don't have experience of really achieving anything in the game. It was incredibly poor recruitment whichever way you look at it. About the best I can say about them, is that Bertrand looked like a competent set piece taker.

Hopefully we learn lessons and look to our academy if there is an injury rather than signing the first player that gets drawn out of a hat. Imagine that being a strategy, signing a player on a 2/3 year contract because one of your players are out for a couple of months.

I’m defending him by saying he signed shit players?

I’m arguing against the notion that every signing has to be a young player, nothing else. 

The strategy in theory is fine, the execution was not. They are two different things 

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I’m defending him by saying he signed shit players?

I’m arguing against the notion that every signing has to be a young player, nothing else. 

The strategy in theory is fine, the execution was not. They are two different things 

Whilst I agree that adding a bit of experience could always be deemed a positive move.

I think the big disdain for the Southampton two comes down to the obvious -

Bertrand’s legs had gone probably 2 years at least prior.

Vestegaard being bought to play in a high line is madness and you actually have to pity him a little bit.

There are experienced CB’s for example that have a better football brain and a turn of pace who could be played in a high line and not get rinsed week in, week out which was happening to poor Janik.

27 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Whilst I agree that adding a bit of experience could always be deemed a positive move.

I think the big disdain for the Southampton two comes down to the obvious -

Bertrand’s legs had gone probably 2 years at least prior.

Vestegaard being bought to play in a high line is madness and you actually have to pity him a little bit.

There are experienced CB’s for example that have a better football brain and a turn of pace who could be played in a high line and not get rinsed week in, week out which was happening to poor Janik.

Can I just clarify I am not attempting to suggest in any way or form that they are good signings. They have been shite.

I am merely saying in both cases signing experienced players made sense, young players don’t always fit what you need at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stadt said:

Prior to Rodgers' and Congerton's arrival the only players we'd signed permanently from within the Premier League were cheap or free.

14/15

Albrighton, 24, free

Schwarzer, 40, free

15/16

Huth, 30, £3m

16/17

-

17/18

Iheanacho, 19, £25m

Maguire, 24, £14m

Jakupovic, 32, £2m

18/19

Ward, 25, £12m

Evans, 30, £3m

19/20 

Perez, 26, £30m

20/21

Vestergaard, 29, £16m

Bertrand, 31, free

Adding wages into the equation the recent "PL proven" players have been terrible mistakes. Prior to Wrong-a-tons arrivals the other PL sighings were high upside (Iheanacho, Maguire) or cheap & experienced (Evans, Huth). We've still bought well from Europe over this length of time but the more involved BR has been in the recruitment the worse it's been.

Perez was the first one was it not?

Maguire, Iheanacho, Evans etc… were signed under Shakey and Puel

EDIT - ignore me. Re read your post lol 

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Haha 1