Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER....Goalkeepers

Depends what you're going on.

In terms of ability I'm guessing it has to be Banks, who I'd love to have seen play, but in terms of contribution to the club it has to be Kasper.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Greatest Leicester keeper? 

Kasper Schmeichel. End of. 

-------------------------------------------------

But it's a question of semantics isn't it?

If by 'Greatest' you mean best player to play in that position for Leicester, in terms of skill and player quality then most people would think along the lines of Banks/Shilton. 

But if by 'Greatest' you mean a (somewhat) subjective measure of overall contribution, honours, longevity and impact at the club, then I think Kasper Schmeichel is going to be most people's choice. 

For example, if Leo Messi played a single game for Leicester then he would be our 'best' ever player, but he wouldn't come close to our 'greatest' ever in Jamie Vardy

-------------------------------------------------

And looking at this comparison it's kinda no contest, no matter which way you slice it. Longevity. Honours. Number of games. A mainstay and captain/vice-captain throughout the club's most successful era. 

And there's little point in even having players like Walker, Keller or Flowers as part of this conversation. 

KS comparison.png

Agree this. Banks and Shilton were great keepers. For what Kasper achieved with/for us then he is no 1 for me.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, stevejpos said:
  1.  Gordon Banks
  2.  Peter Shilton
  3.  Kasper Schemichel
  4.  Mark Wallington
  5.  Kasey Keller
  6.  Tim Flowers
  7.  Kevin Poole
  8.  Ian Andrews
  9.  Ian Wallker
  10.  Paul Cooper

As someone who is not old enough to have watched Peter Shilton, is there a rational reason why I find him so irritating? 
Before I was told he’d played for us and was from Leicester, I’d have assumed he was born in Nottingham and supported Forest all his life. Will be interesting to see which team he dines out on next season. I have no problem with him having fondness for former clubs, but it was like we didn’t exist prior to 2014 for him.

5 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

In terms of ability, then for me it is

Banks

Shilton

Wallington

Keller

Flowers

Kasper

As martyn says above, Flowers should be above Keller in terms of ability. Keller was incredible in his first season but made too many mistakes in subsequent seasons. Still a great GK for us but not better than flowers and definitely not better than Kasper.

I would probably agree that in terms of 'greatest' it may be Schmeichel for what he's contributed to the club, though could also be Banks very easily. 

Can any other position on the pitch compare with that top 3? In their own right 3 legendary keepers, a World Cup winner, a European champion and the keeper behind the greatest achievement the sports seen.

• Like 1

Keller definitely gets a bit retrospectively overrated I think. My memory of him is as an erratic and error prone keeper who was however excellent on his day.Definitely put him behind the likes of Flowers, Cooper and even Walker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yes said:

Can any other position on the pitch compare with that top 3? In their own right 3 legendary keepers, a World Cup winner, a European champion and the keeper behind the greatest achievement the sports seen.

Don’t forget our other World Cup winning Goalkeeper, though he did win it two years before he joined us.

Robert Ron Zieler 

• Haha 1

Strange how we didn't have any really legendary keepers in the 50 years before Banks arrived (though you could make a pretty good argument for Sandy McLaren in the 30s). But back in the Fosse era there were three names that should be part of a 'greatest ever' conversation:

Jimmy Thraves, the man whose actions led directly to the introduction of the penalty kick in 1891.

Walter Smith, whose departure to Man City in 1906 caused perhaps the greatest ever fan revolt over the sale of a star player.

Horace Bailey, the amateur who won an Olympic Gold in 1908. 

Their biographies in Of Fossils and Foxes are thoroughly informative and entertaining, as well as being beautifully written (as is every other entry in that astonishing book).

• Like 3