Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER....Goalkeepers

29 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Maybe strikers with Rowley, Vardy and Lineker? 

I did think striker, but I’m not sure either of Rowley or Arthur Chandler (probably one of those for 3rd) quite has the legacy of the other 2.  Some big names in centre mid as well but didn’t spend a lot of time here.

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Greatest Leicester keeper? 

Kasper Schmeichel. End of. 

-------------------------------------------------

But it's a question of semantics isn't it?

If by 'Greatest' you mean best player to play in that position for Leicester, in terms of skill and player quality then most people would think along the lines of Banks/Shilton. 

But if by 'Greatest' you mean a (somewhat) subjective measure of overall contribution, honours, longevity and impact at the club, then I think Kasper Schmeichel is going to be most people's choice. 

For example, if Leo Messi played a single game for Leicester then he would be our 'best' ever player, but he wouldn't come close to our 'greatest' ever in Jamie Vardy

-------------------------------------------------

And looking at this comparison it's kinda no contest, no matter which way you slice it. Longevity. Honours. Number of games. A mainstay and captain/vice-captain throughout the club's most successful era. 

And there's little point in even having players like Walker, Keller or Flowers as part of this conversation. 

KS comparison.png

In terms of contribution it is Kasper as number 1 but listing honours isn't a good comparison of players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

In terms of contribution it is Kasper as number 1 but listing honours isn't a good comparison of players.

Listing honours is one of the best ways of comparing Leicester players, if the debate is "Who is Leicester's Greatest ever keeper"? Which is exactly what this thread is.

• Like 3

Ian McGraw in the 40’s. He had to miss the 1949 cup final due to a broken finger he sustained earlier. Unfortunately he had the finger amputated a little later. He attempted a comeback but had to concede due to his injury. He was a very fine goalkeeper and also a very amenable man. I remember seeing him walking his dog in Gleneagles Avenue in the 60’s when I was walking to school.

• Like 1

Not sure Walker should be named in that list. Was no 1 keeper for 4 seasons and got relegated in 2 of them. Distinctly remember in the Adam's relegation season a period of a month or 2 where he seemed to be throwing the ball into his own net he became that bad! Very average keeper overall.

Edited by Gubbins

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

As someone who is not old enough to have watched Peter Shilton, is there a rational reason why I find him so irritating? 
Before I was told he’d played for us and was from Leicester, I’d have assumed he was born in Nottingham and supported Forest all his life. Will be interesting to see which team he dines out on next season. I have no problem with him having fondness for former clubs, but it was like we didn’t exist prior to 2014 for him.

No doubt the Forest connection and success has tainted your view. Was a teenage prodigy for us before going to Stoke in his early 20s

Bit of a what if but wondered if we should have kept Banks and sold Shilton. Fond memories though of Peter keeping out Spurs in a 1-0 win at White Hart Lane. There was a 1-1 draw at Upton Park where he defied the Hammers with wonderful performance. These games were 1967 and 1971. Mark Wallington did well to step up and had a long career with us and deserves remembering.  Kasper still the man though 

1 hour ago, kushiro said:

Strange how we didn't have any really legendary keepers in the 50 years before Banks arrived (though you could make a pretty good argument for Sandy McLaren in the 30s). But back in the Fosse era there were three names that should be part of a 'greatest ever' conversation:

Jimmy Thraves, the man whose actions led directly to the introduction of the penalty kick in 1891.

Walter Smith, whose departure to Man City in 1906 caused perhaps the greatest ever fan revolt over the sale of a star player.

Horace Bailey, the amateur who won an Olympic Gold in 1908. 

Their biographies in Of Fossils and Foxes are thoroughly informative and entertaining, as well as being beautifully written (as is every other entry in that astonishing book).

Since the 20s, we have had some well named press Followed GKs..obviously The Big K.Off Really was also the beginning of Media sharks...with

Banks & Shilton..

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

As someone who is not old enough to have watched Peter Shilton, is there a rational reason why I find him so irritating? 
Before I was told he’d played for us and was from Leicester, I’d have assumed he was born in Nottingham and supported Forest all his life. Will be interesting to see which team he dines out on next season. I have no problem with him having fondness for former clubs, but it was like we didn’t exist prior to 2014 for him.

He moved to Stoke, which was an entirely sideways step at the time for money, as they had wealthy owners. People on here have a go at Drinkwater or Mahrez for moving for the money despite joining clubs who were a clear step up in footballing terms, but with Shilton it was allegedly 100% about the money. He was then caught allegedly cheating on his wife in the back seat of some car.

Shilton was widely hated by Leicester fans throughout the 70s and 80s when he left the club and was always booed and given a tired time by fans. In comparison to Lineker for example who was always received well.

In more recent times, he just comes across as a very bitter old man on twitter. Still has a massive chip on his shoulder about the hand of god and is allegedly comes across as a bit of a royalist, flag-waving, immigrant baiting Brexiteer, Daily Mail reader (not saying all Brexiteers are like that but he allegedly comes across very much as *one of those* Brexiteers).

Very good goalkeeper, but I’ve always found him to be a really unlikeable character and a little embarrassed he is associated with our club so much. Probably a bit like Southampton or Liverpool fans feel a bit embarrassed about being associated with Matt le Tissier and Michael Owen these days.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

He moved to Stoke, which was an entirely sideways step at the time for money, as they had wealthy owners. People on here have a go at Drinkwater or Mahrez for moving for the money despite joining clubs who were a clear step up in footballing terms, but with Shilton it was allegedly 100% about the money. He was then caught allegedly cheating on his wife in the back seat of some car.

Shilton was widely hated by Leicester fans throughout the 70s and 80s when he left the club and was always booed and given a tired time by fans. In comparison to Lineker for example who was always received well.

In more recent times, he just comes across as a very bitter old man on twitter. Still has a massive chip on his shoulder about the hand of god and is allegedly comes across as a bit of a royalist, flag-waving, immigrant baiting Brexiteer, Daily Mail reader (not saying all Brexiteers are like that but he allegedly comes across very much as *one of those* Brexiteers).

Very good goalkeeper, but I’ve always found him to be a really unlikeable character and a little embarrassed he is associated with our club so much. Probably a bit like Southampton or Liverpool fans feel a bit embarrassed about being associated with Matt le Tissier and Michael Owen these days.

He was also applauded by others, so,so hated he wasnt....Excellent W.Class G.keeper...Commanded his area, & crosses, He,with  Clemence, & Jennings,Plus a well recogonised Corrigan, & Young Wallington,Plus others  gave the UK a Unique group of Great club,European, W.Class goalkeepers,Non payed for Media

niceties or Social etiquette....At that Time right upto now GKs were their own People & characters...

About his so called wife/Girlfriend antics....who are the fans to Jump on their high horses...60s until Now begann &  saw a lot of hotel,car-backseat, Dead-end alleys, Dark Disco/Night club corners antics...Celebs,& famous often succombed to Journalist downright lies...soapy-football- Fans lapped it up..

you didnt like him, I did...He and K.Weller got me on the LCFC physio's table at my most lowest ebb...( & Not Football related)

He could grate some People up the wrong way, But then FT also champion that pretty well. 

I knew him, because where he lived & his family, & through sport, Plus he got me the the then 1St Team & Reserves autographs,a Year before he got his,

First Team chance...

I Never understand this Righteous stand, for the sake of demeaning of other People who have Made it to the Top of their chosen Sports tree..

Why Not Enjoy the First & only reason they are thought high of in their position...What a miserable negative group of people we have In this modern society.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

He was also applauded by others, so,so hated he wasnt....Excellent W.Class G.keeper...Commanded his area, & crosses, He,with  Clemence, & Jennings,Plus a well recogonised Corrigan, & Young Wallington,Plus others  gave the UK a Unique group of Great club,European, W.Class goalkeepers,Non payed for Media

niceties or Social etiquette....At that Time right upto now GKs were their own People & characters...

About his so called wife/Girlfriend antics....who are the fans to Jump on their high horses...60s until Now begann &  saw a lot of hotel,car-backseat, Dead-end alleys, Dark Disco/Night club corners antics...Celebs,& famous often succombed to Journalist downright lies...soapy-football- Fans lapped it up..

you didnt like him, I did...He and K.Weller got me on the LCFC physio's table at my most lowest ebb...( & Not Football related)

He could grate some People up the wrong way, But then FT also champion that pretty well. 

I knew him, because where he lived & his family, & through sport, Plus he got me the the then 1St Team & Reserves autographs,a Year before he got his,

First Team chance...

I Never understand this Righteous stand, for the sake of demeaning of other People who have Made it to the Top of their chosen Sports tree..

Why Not Enjoy the First & only reason they are thought high of in their position...What a miserable negative group of people we have In this modern society.

I don’t think it’s “miserable” or a “righteous  stand” or some blight on modern society to only lionise people because they are rich and famous by happening to have the genetics and environment to be good at a sport and be unable to separate criticism of them as a character then them as a sportsman really.

I was agreeing with someone who said they don’t like Shilton as a character which I don’t particularly either. I wasn’t debating his ability as a goalkeeper, I can separate the sportsman from the character just fine. Like I can with Danny Simpson or Frank Worthington or Lenny Glover as well. But it’s not clever to be unable to separate the person from the player and say “why not just enjoy their sporting ability and pretend everything else about them doesn’t matter?” any time someone says they don’t particularly like them as a character and makes no criticism of them as a player. If anything that’s a far bigger blight on modern society and the exact attitude that has caused so many of the problems we have with modern football.

Edited by Sampson

5 hours ago, bovril said:

As martyn says above, Flowers should be above Keller in terms of ability. Keller was incredible in his first season but made too many mistakes in subsequent seasons. Still a great GK for us but not better than flowers and definitely not better than Kasper.

I would probably agree that in terms of 'greatest' it may be Schmeichel for what he's contributed to the club, though could also be Banks very easily. 

To be fair, I think I might give you Flowers over Keller. I personally think they were both better all round goalkeepers than Kasper, although in those days they didn't have to play with their feet like they do today, so difficult to compare that aspect of their game.  Kasper has been massive for us though, and a big influence, and from that point of view, possibly our greatest.

16 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

To be fair, I think I might give you Flowers over Keller. I personally think they were both better all round goalkeepers than Kasper, although in those days they didn't have to play with their feet like they do today, so difficult to compare that aspect of their game.  Kasper has been massive for us though, and a big influence, and from that point of view, possibly our greatest.

Schmeichel is a better all round goalkeeper than Keller for me because he doesn't make as many mistakes. I think Flowers might be the best I've seen watching Leicester. Very underrated goalkeeper.

• Like 1