Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER....Goalkeepers

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I don’t think it’s “miserable” or a “righteous  stand” or some blight on modern society to only lionise people because they are rich and famous by happening to have the genetics and environment to be good at a sport and be unable to separate criticism of them as a character then them as a sportsman really.

I was agreeing with someone who said they don’t like Shilton as a character which I don’t particularly either. I wasn’t debating his ability as a goalkeeper, I can separate the sportsman from the character just fine. Like I can with Danny Simpson or Frank Worthington or Lenny Glover as well. But it’s not clever to be unable to separate the person from the player and say “why not just enjoy their sporting ability and pretend everything else about them doesn’t matter?” any time someone says they don’t particularly like them as a character and makes no criticism of them as a player. If anything that’s a far bigger blight on modern society and the exact attitude that has caused so many of the problems we have with modern football.

Because they are no worse than the average Joe Bloggs, & it gets tiresome,when after nearly every comment,

there is a throwaway..but.!!!

that Overshadows the debate & waterdowns many a good initial posts...

Everything Else Really doesn't matter or ignoring off-field character ,is the only way to share and Qualify an opinion when judging that persons

chosen proffesion/career at this level, on those lets say normal character failings,

eg,Arrogance,self-opinionated,Political-stance,greedy, Run Off Affairs, Plus many more...

Obviously putting someone in career/life's danger, deliberate abuse & misuse ,mental or physical are the obvious No,Nos,then character is rightly challenged.

& Until one at least One knows these People it is, & stays a cheap shot...

I got near pefection, but Close to Godlyness became too much to carry, :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Listing honours is one of the best ways of comparing Leicester players, if the debate is "Who is Leicester's Greatest ever keeper"? Which is exactly what this thread is.

It's not a good way to compare any player.

Some of our best ever players won nothing but worse players have won more for being part of a squad. Inler won the Premier League but you wouldn't put him above Izzet.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Some of our best ever players won nothing but worse players have won more for being part of a squad. Inler won the Premier League but you wouldn't put him above Izzet.

I would add the previso that minimum of 100 appearances. Hence Kante would not get in. Muzzy would qualify therfore. 

• Like 1

Kasper Schmiechel for his wonderful leadership after the tragedy of October 2018, Gordon Banks for his impeccable reading of the game, positioning and agility (I had the pleasure of watching him play for us) and Peter Shilton for his brilliance. I remember watching him train at Belvoir Drive when we used to be allowed in as kids and he would stay back for extra training. He was totally obsessive and a perfectionist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I would add the previso that minimum of 100 appearances. Hence Kante would not get in. Muzzy would qualify therfore. 

I would normally agree with you but Kante has to be one of our greatest ever. He was unreal that season and was a huge reason we won the Premier League. Typing that out still feels surreal so every one of those that played regularly that season is an all time great, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Corky said:

Kasper is a fantastic big game player, Banks and Shilton probably greater reputations (didn't see them play) but Schmeichel's ability in pressure games is huge.

Yes and I think considering the term 'big game player' gets used so much, it's still an underappreciated quality.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

I would normally agree with you but Kante has to be one of our greatest ever. He was unreal that season and was a huge reason we won the Premier League. Typing that out still feels surreal so every one of those that played regularly that season is an all time great, in my opinion.

Quite prepared to allow an exception to the rule as you made a good case

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Wallington was a very good keeper but Banks and shilton have to be the best to that point.  Kasper is the best since then and has to be right up there for Leicester. 

Kasper has it because what we've won but better than Flowers no.

Kaspers shot stopping is second to none of them. Distribution is awful. Defending his box dont even rate it on the scale.

For what hes achieved he's top. But performance hes fourth at best.

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Kasper has it because what we've won but better than Flowers no.

Kaspers shot stopping is second to none of them. Distribution is awful. Defending his box dont even rate it on the scale.

For what hes achieved he's top. But performance hes fourth at best.

Flowers was a good keeper too but not infallible either. We will just have to disagree. I’m not saying schmeichel was the best ever as it’s nigh on impossible to compare across generations but for all he has achieved his leadership and some incredible saves he is right up there. 

Flowers was only really the starting keeper for us for about 15 months and had a slow start in that time even and was hardly amazing with his distribution or coming off his line either. But there were massively different expectations for keepers back then.

Most keepers were judged on their shot stopping ability and that was about it. You didn’t need to come off your line or do anything other than boot it as far up field  as you could when the ball came your way.

Flowers was great for the second half of that final season under MON and that first 2 or 3 months under Taylor, but he was far from infallible and only played about 50-odd league games for us. Schmeichel has had more match winning performances for us than Flowers even has total games for us.

And even despite that, anyone who genuinely thinks prime Flowers was better than prime Schmeichel is wearing some seriously rose-tinted nostalgia goggles 

Also, while I agree Schmeichel is no longer that great at commanding his box as he once was, saying it “doesn’t even register on a scale” is such bullshit because you’re comparing Schmeichel now when he’s past his peak to other players at their peak.

Look at the PL stats for goalkeeping at claiming high balls in our title winning season and Schmeichel is right up there in the top 4 or 5 in the league and I don’t remember him making any big collection errors in our title winning season. So much of that season is seered on our brains that we’d all remember if he did . He’s gradually fallen down that list every season.

While I agree Schmeichel is no longer amongst the best in the division at commanding his area or claiming his crosses - during his peak in our title winning season he absolutely and objectively was a great commander of his area and great at coming from crosses and claiming high balls.

More commanding of his area during his peak than Flowers was us without a single doubt in my mind, but because he’s still playing people only talk about their last game so talk about the ageing Schmeichel of 2022 not the Schmeichel of 2016.

Edited by Sampson

Never saw Banks and Shilton never tickled my fancy.

They both played 300 plus games but Wallington was a Leicester icon and not so far off in ability. I Never thought he would be surpassed.

That Kasper has done so makes me fear for the future, will some bastord waltz in 30 years time and replace Jamie Vardy?

I dont like this precedent of replacing legends

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fox92 said:

For sure. But Kasper isn't even an example of a crap player who played in a great squad that won stuff, so this argument doesn't really work. 

And again, you're using that word 'best'. This debate is about 'greatest' not 'best' Leicester goalkeeper. 

15 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Presumably, although the topic subject doesn't state it, we are talking about goalkeepers who have only played for Leicester City?

That being the case there is only one No. 1; Gordon Banks

Gordon was brilliant for us and England. Shame he had a bit of below average game in 63 Cup final after his marvellous match in the semi. I thought Peter S was nearly as good and Mark W gave years of consistent service. As said elsewhere Kasper deserves plaudits for THAT whole season and saving performance in the Cup final.