Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER....Goalkeepers

On 30/05/2022 at 10:06, Fox92 said:

I know he didn't play many games but Fulop was good for us in a tough period.

On 30/05/2022 at 10:59, Houdini Logic said:

Fulop was different class in that period. Such a shame Sunderland wouldn't let us have him permanently 

Agree with Fulop he really was a great keeper, after seeing him play a few times i thought finally we have another class keeper lets build from there but as you mention Keane went back on the initial agreement of £1m & demanded £3m which we said no to (big mistake but understandable). Keane effectively screwed his career from there as he went on loan to Stoke & never played leaving him in the wilderness until he went to Ipswich 2yrs later & that was only for the year.

To think he died at 32yrs old i remember raising a glass to him when i heard i was that impresed with his short Leicester contribution

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Agree with Fulop he really was a great keeper, after seeing him play a few times i thought finally we have another class keeper lets build from there but as you mention Keane went back on the initial agreement of £1m & demanded £3m which we said no to (big mistake but understandable). Keane effectively screwed his career from there as he went on loan to Stoke & never played leaving him in the wilderness until he went to Ipswich 2yrs later & that was only for the year.

To think he died at 32yrs old i remember raising a glass to him when i heard i was that impresed with his short Leicester contribution

Tragedy

My list I dished out was the Single thought IMO on pure allround GKeeping ability...

could never Split Banks & Shilton,both had their own weaknesses & strengths,if splitting hairs..

Both great shot-stoppers from all angles.Took highballs & cross/corners mostly with aplomb.Banks First season was shakey,then he Simply became THE- best, Both Cat like reactions,both went in Hands-first & won.

Commanded penalty area, no worries with under-the-bar or 6 yrd box challenges,

Bloody told/organised their Defence what they thought & should do...took no shit,

Captains of their Defence Set up,showingly Worked Close with their CBs ,including young or new ones...

Banks had his models he followed, but went that Step further, Shilton did learn from Banks & others, but took his skills higher &  further.

Both mentioned coincidently Yashin..

Wallington learnt from both, very underrrated,

though some said loudly that they thought up to his Middle career he was even a tadge better than both...

missed out on full Internationale because of the  Shilton/Clemence Double act..

Behind them IMHO, Flowers...All Four near to GK perfection...

Oh!! seen all, Let a Soft ball go through their legs, caught Flat footed,Drop crosses ,conceding soft goals..

But hey-ho, made up for it a 1000 fold,with outstanding, consistent displays,week in week out..

Thompson of L'pool said I Beat 2- 3 Good men,then First, there was Banks, then After.. Shilton, just plucking my Top crosses out of the air, no matter who in the end they played for..!!

Kasper, no Shame to be seen a tinge behind,but I would put in top for service, staying loyal so long,

Standing up when it Counted off-field, took no shit,

simply Completed, and One of the Top 3 reasons, we have seen our biggest 10 year spread of success.I

A stand out true  legend in his performances in overseeing / achieving our Historical most successful era of our club...

The Allround man & Goalkeeper makes him No1 extrordinaire...

He had to follow in his Fathers Unique slipstream ,may not of Lifted those same covetted trophies,

but stood on his own feet ,&  this top career was of  his own making..

IMO...more than grateful to Count as one of our own..

and besides bacon the crispiest & best thing to come out of Denmark to Leicester...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

My list I dished out was the Single thought IMO on pure allround GKeeping ability...

could never Split Banks & Shilton,both had their own weaknesses & strengths,if splitting hairs..

Both great shot-stoppers from all angles.Took highballs & cross/corners mostly with aplomb.Banks First season was shakey,then he Simply became THE- best, Both Cat like reactions,both went in Hands-first & won.

Commanded penalty area, no worries with under-the-bar or 6 yrd box challenges,

Bloody told/organised their Defence what they thought & should do...took no shit,

Captains of their Defence Set up,showingly Worked Close with their CBs ,including young or new ones...

Banks had his models he followed, but went that Step further, Shilton did learn from Banks & others, but took his skills higher &  further.

Both mentioned coincidently Yashin..

Wallington learnt from both, very underrrated,

though some said loudly that they thought up to his Middle career he was even a tadge better than both...

missed out on full Internationale because of the  Shilton/Clemence Double act..

Behind them IMHO, Flowers...All Four near to GK perfection...

Oh!! seen all, Let a Soft ball go through their legs, caught Flat footed,Drop crosses ,conceding soft goals..

But hey-ho, made up for it a 1000 fold,with outstanding, consistent displays,week in week out..

Thompson of L'pool said I Beat 2- 3 Good men,then First, there was Banks, then After.. Shilton, just plucking my Top crosses out of the air, no matter who in the end they played for..!!

Kasper, no Shame to be seen a tinge behind,but I would put in top for service, staying loyal so long,

Standing up when it Counted off-field, took no shit,

simply Completed, and One of the Top 3 reasons, we have seen our biggest 10 year spread of success.I

A stand out true  legend in his performances in overseeing / achieving our Historical most successful era of our club...

The Allround man & Goalkeeper makes him No1 extrordinaire...

He had to follow in his Fathers Unique slipstream ,may not of Lifted those same covetted trophies,

but stood on his own feet ,&  this top career was of  his own making..

IMO...more than grateful to Count as one of our own..

and besides bacon the crispiest & best thing to come out of Denmark to Leicester...

Lovely post in your inimitable style :appl:.

Banks was unfussy - never showboated. I'm not sure whether any other goalkeeper could have shown the intelligence and inventiveness to tip a ball over the bar to keep it away from the Brazilian forwards closing in for the expected rebound off his save from Pele. Hard enough to save - harder still to render harmless.

Banks was hero material - modest and unflashy. I never took to Shilton. He didn't need telling how good he was.

Wallington was my favourite of the three - a proper club legend, both for his loyalty and his expertise. He wasn't far behind the other two in ability.

Schmeichel has the best reactions of any City goalkeeper. To be able to come out of the shadow of his father, who I rate the best goalie I've seen, is some achievement.

As for Lev Yashin, I had the great privilege of standing behind his goal for one half of West Germany's semi-final World Cup victory against the USSR in 1966. He always wore an all black kit - well, he did at Goodison that day. He, Banks and a Uruguayan named Ladislao Mazurkiewicz (Polish father) were reckoned the best of their era.

• Like 1

Yashin was known as the black spider...& Sometimes Panther...

My first introduction to his game was over Pathe News.

But it was an older Mercer & Allison then Wallington who said something quite interesting ...

Yashin ,pulled off some of the greatest saves,seen to then a wider audience,but if you notice...

Banks, Shilton, Jennings, & Clemence, actually caught & Held a lot in their dives,( so did Wallington) Not just push-overs or push-byes...

Something a Teenage Shilton when speaking to him Pointed out over Banks, & a couple of other Top keepers.Saying thats my Target to improve that Part

even a tick further, the pre-thought of recognising angles. The ball in the hand,Stopped attackers further interest.....and he did...Later Wallington..

That Banks Save was unique, probably First Time such One Off Technic seen, but I believe we have seen, more times over the years its equal..

SHilton against W.Ham...Clemence  against Spurs & Arsenal, and others over the years...

Yashin pulled the Gks lot into the limelight, Banks turned it further,then Shilton & that generations Top 3-6 , rocketted GKs  Technik & nous even further.

Every 5 years period then produced world-wide, W.Class goalkeepers..

• Like 1

I'm going to go Kasper just because of the promotion, survival, winning the Premier league, FA Cup and 2 decent runs in Europe. His achievements with us make him our greatest ever Keeper and he will probably be remembered more for that once he has retired. The best Keeper we have had play for us though would probably have to be Banks followed by Shilton. Kasper skills wise would probably follow those in to third but they are 2 of the best to ever do it so no shame in that and he achieved way more with us so he's the greatest for us imo. 

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

But it was an older Mercer & Allison then Wallington who said something quite interesting ...

Yashin ,pulled off some of the greatest saves,seen to then a wider audience,but if you notice...

Banks, Shilton, Jennings, & Clemence, actually caught & Held a lot in their dives,( so did Wallington) Not just push-overs or push-byes...

Something a Teenage Shilton when speaking to him Pointed out over Banks, & a couple of other Top keepers.Saying thats my Target to improve that Part

even a tick further, the pre-thought of recognising angles. The ball in the hand,Stopped attackers further interest.....and he did...Later Wallington.

That's where modern goalkeeping has regressed and I'm not sure why parrying and deflecting is considered preferable.

Howyever, I recently saw a Premier side goalkeeper diving and catching. I can't remember who, but I certainly noticed it. It's a lot safer to do that.

Having done a bit of goalkeeping in my youth I know how difficult it is to avoid the ball bouncing out of your hands once you hit the deck. But the modern gloves are made to deaden the impact of the ball and to enclose it. So it should be easier to catch and hold.

As for Lev Yashin, I thought his nickname was 'something Cat' but I remembered Peter Bonetti was called 'The Cat'. Thanks for clearing that one up. 

For me Shilton is the greatest  English  goalkeeper of all time. Ron Greenwwod couldnt make his mind up between Shilton and Clemence for some reason and had he then Shiton would have collected dozens more caps.

Banks is remembered more nostalgically  for '66 and the Pele save but I think Shilton replaced him when he was about 18. He was at Leicester at the peak of his abilities so its got to be Shilts despite the Forest connection. He was an absolute perfectionist and for me only Peter Scmeichal would come close. 

I think my views on Shilton stem from big moments whilst playing for England with the goals conceded against Argentina in 86 and then his performance 4 years later against west Germany.  I'm always reminded of Jan Molbys comment on Shilton when taking penalties, 'He never moved before the kick was taken, he would start his dive when i was running back to the centre circle for the re-start'.:D

If you split Schmeichel's career up into 3 sections, 2011-2016 where we got promoted and wont the PL with him, 2016-2020 where his heroics in the champions league got us to a quarter final, 2020- now for his FA cup performance and his crucial saves in the europa conference league to get us to a semi final, each of them would have a case to be high up on that list. If you add them all together then Schmeichel is far and a away our greatest ever keeper and there is no debate.

Banks and Shilton's biggest career successes happened elsewhere.

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

That's where modern goalkeeping has regressed and I'm not sure why parrying and deflecting is considered preferable.

Howyever, I recently saw a Premier side goalkeeper diving and catching. I can't remember who, but I certainly noticed it. It's a lot safer to do that.

Having done a bit of goalkeeping in my youth I know how difficult it is to avoid the ball bouncing out of your hands once you hit the deck. But the modern gloves are made to deaden the impact of the ball and to enclose it. So it should be easier to catch and hold.

As for Lev Yashin, I thought his nickname was 'something Cat' but I remembered Peter Bonetti was called 'The Cat'. Thanks for clearing that one up. 

I started out as an old L.Half, then turned to Gkeeping...before totally Changing sport, but since a kid ,I was fascinated about/over The History of gks and

the traditional & elvoving technic matched with the mixed opinions....AND Football high Swift or Hanging ball taught & gave me a solid base in my chosen sport

of rugby

Through various First private contacts,then England Sports fraternity,I got to know,Banks & Shilton, the 60s-70s City squad Members Plus others...

Banks,Shilton,Jennings generation Handled the Diving catch, Plus going in Head hands First before thinking of going in feet first,though all did it occasionally.

To punch or Palm-off a save,was more difficult sometimes,with the earlier balls than Catching it, of Bloody Hurt more...

for all types of arm-hand saves, strong wrists were required,when hitting the deck .

After catching, there were slight variants,but in Nano seconds before Touching the deck, there would be a descion of a slight twist, in

wrist,arm or Full body, that would become Embedded & automatic. Wallington & Corrigan by the way had Bucket hands,also had lower arm strength.

Many a UK Goalkeeper would look at crickettets and their reactions with the smaller ball...

I have seen Top Amateurs easy Catch & hold the ball,but were lousy

in their Positioning and General timing to make the Next Big step...Bonneti was loved by everybody,but he could under or overshoot his attempts at punching...

WhereasJennings,Wallington Banks & Shilton just caught & gobbled up 99% of various crossed-in balls...

Another simple Thing to remember Banks was very rarely interviewed straight After a match, where Shilton & Clemence had a mic Stuck under their face...or took Post Match interviews...Both ( & other Gks) could be quite terse & Short sometimes,so the projected perspective would be different..

I seen Wallington intervied a few times, and he just seems to laugh at the questions.

One Funny incident was Alisson, Killing himself with laughter, when Joe Corrigan was pushed in Front of the Camera & asked a question,

and Allison said " It looked like the bear (joe),was going to eat the poor lad ( reporter)..!!

sometimes, maybe too often, fans forums take their opinions and the whole cannister, far too seriously...Technik

And  how to Enjoy the game und technic on show. With. 5-6 giving Off poor form, there are others showing Unique moments, that many a fan misses,

Simply because to their loss  they concentrate on the sole negative...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I started out as an old L.Half, then turned to Gkeeping...before totally Changing sport, but since a kid ,I was fascinated about/over The History of gks and

the traditional & elvoving technic matched with the mixed opinions....AND Football high Swift or Hanging ball taught & gave me a solid base in my chosen sport

of rugby

Through various First private contacts,then England Sports fraternity,I got to know,Banks & Shilton, the 60s-70s City squad Members Plus others...

Banks,Shilton,Jennings generation Handled the Diving catch, Plus going in Head hands First before thinking of going in feet first,though all did it occasionally.

To punch or Palm-off a save,was more difficult sometimes,with the earlier balls than Catching it, of Bloody Hurt more...

for all types of arm-hand saves, strong wrists were required,when hitting the deck .

After catching, there were slight variants,but in Nano seconds before Touching the deck, there would be a descion of a slight twist, in

wrist,arm or Full body, that would become Embedded & automatic. Wallington & Corrigan by the way had Bucket hands,also had lower arm strength.

Many a UK Goalkeeper would look at crickettets and their reactions with the smaller ball...

I have seen Top Amateurs easy Catch & hold the ball,but were lousy

in their Positioning and General timing to make the Next Big step...Bonneti was loved by everybody,but he could under or overshoot his attempts at punching...

WhereasJennings,Wallington Banks & Shilton just caught & gobbled up 99% of various crossed-in balls...

Another simple Thing to remember Banks was very rarely interviewed straight After a match, where Shilton & Clemence had a mic Stuck under their face...or took Post Match interviews...Both ( & other Gks) could be quite terse & Short sometimes,so the projected perspective would be different..

I seen Wallington intervied a few times, and he just seems to laugh at the questions.

One Funny incident was Alisson, Killing himself with laughter, when Joe Corrigan was pushed in Front of the Camera & asked a question,

and Allison said " It looked like the bear (joe),was going to eat the poor lad ( reporter)..!!

sometimes, maybe too often, fans forums take their opinions and the whole cannister, far too seriously...Technik

And  how to Enjoy the game und technic on show. With. 5-6 giving Off poor form, there are others showing Unique moments, that many a fan misses,

Simply because to their loss  they concentrate on the sole negative...

Do you remember the Joe Corrigan punt upfield that was returned with interest by Ronnie Boyce. This was a muddy Maine-rd  when Man City lost 5-1 to West Ham. Joe was well to the side of the goal. By the time he got back in place the ball had flown into the goal. This can be seen on YouTube. Very funny if you were not a Man City fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Do you remember the Joe Corrigan punt upfield that was returned with interest by Ronnie Boyce. This was a muddy Maine-rd  when Man City lost 5-1 to West Ham. Joe was well to the side of the goal. By the time he got back in place the ball had flown into the goal. This can be seen on YouTube. Very funny if you were not a Man City fan.

Always some interesting highlights,forgot, Not seen...Thanks YouTube Platform we can relive the Time & the moments....

Football, many sports, Westerns & Gangster films......while dunking ya Biscuits in ya tea with a sneeky splash of whisky...

What more is there to life

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, marcymarc666 said:

For me Shilton is the greatest  English  goalkeeper of all time. Ron Greenwwod couldnt make his mind up between Shilton and Clemence for some reason and had he then Shiton would have collected dozens more caps.

Banks is remembered more nostalgically  for '66 and the Pele save but I think Shilton replaced him when he was about 18. He was at Leicester at the peak of his abilities so its got to be Shilts despite the Forest connection. He was an absolute perfectionist and for me only Peter Scmeichal would come close. 

Peter Shilton, absolutely magnificent keeper, the 2nd best keeper of all time. I think everyone knows who the master was, is, and ever will be. No one will ever better the King.

19 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Banks 

Shilton

Schmeichel

close thread

Sorry..The impecable 3...

Banks

Shilton

Wallington...

Then

Schmeichel/Flowers..

Don t Close thread, but Keep it running.  The never Ending story...

Top Trophy-winning English clubs IMO have had Top Gks no doubt..

But since the 50s, Leicester IMHO have delivered more Top 1-2, 3-6, 6-8,G.keepers, across the First 3 (4) Leagues..

& Definitely over a longer span Top 1-3(4) , through any single period through Europe..

Banks,Shilton, & Wallington, ( Ian Andrews) covered 1959-1988,  Also to be noted All English.& England capped..

Now include a 10year Service,Title-winner from 'Dont Mess with me' Kasper Schmeichel...

1 hour ago, Gordon the Great said:

Peter Shilton, absolutely magnificent keeper, the 2nd best keeper of all time. I think everyone knows who the master was, is, and ever will be. No one will ever better the King.

Mmmm not sure that 'everyone knows' I've just asked members of my family including my dad who started watching city in the 50s and they all say Shilton !