Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

OH Leuven Thread 2022/23

There is no benefit to either group, they just don’t want to show half points in the standings, so they round up. But when teams are tied after the playoffs, first tiebreaker is to remove any half points added pre-playoffs.

Points halving was introduced bc they wanted to make the playoffs more exciting and starting from zero points was deemed unfair (once qualified all remaining matches for that team during regular season would be irrelevant). Note that the teams specifically asked to keep the halving when discussing the new format… but every season at the start of the playoffs the team in the lead is complaining.

• Like 1

Just a quick note regarding the results under Brys: I agree that it should/could have been more this season, and that he's probably not good enough to get us to where we want to get, but the results this season have clearly been better in all departments compared to last year. With one game to go (for now), six goals more scored, twelve (!) less conceded and four points more than last year. And if we hadn't been unlucky with injuries for Schrijvers and more importantly Maertens, we probably would have just qualified for the Europe Playoffs. 

Main problem is mostly lacking quality in depth in the squad. We should have some better finances to work with next season in regards to that, as we'll start receiving TV money and will probably realize at least one big outgoing transfer (Keita, possibly Patris). 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Just a quick note regarding the results under Brys: I agree that it should/could have been more this season, and that he's probably not good enough to get us to where we want to get, but the results this season have clearly been better in all departments compared to last year. With one game to go (for now), six goals more scored, twelve (!) less conceded and four points more than last year. And if we hadn't been unlucky with injuries for Schrijvers and more importantly Maertens, we probably would have just qualified for the Europe Playoffs. 

Main problem is mostly lacking quality in depth in the squad. We should have some better finances to work with next season in regards to that, as we'll start receiving TV money and will probably realize at least one big outgoing transfer (Keita, possibly Patris). 

I think Leicester should be looking at Patris.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Leicester should be looking at Patris.

Should’ve been looking at Keita as well but I expect he will go to Antwerp permanently and they potentially sell him on for a profit

Patris one we should definitely look to get whichever league we are in next season

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Should’ve been looking at Keita as well but I expect he will go to Antwerp permanently and they potentially sell him on for a profit

Patris one we should definitely look to get whichever league we are in next season

Still not sure if Antwerp can actually afford that 10m clause.

He's good and getting better every week, so I'm happy to see him for another year next season. ;) 

Looked like the miracle was going to happen for five to ten minutes, with us only needing a goal in Charleroi-Genk. But then Zulte went behind again and it was over. :(

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

He's good and getting better every week, so I'm happy to see him for another year next season. ;) 

Looked like the miracle was going to happen for five to ten minutes, with us only needing a goal in Charleroi-Genk. But then Zulte went behind again and it was over. :(

Overall thoughts on your season? You started brilliantly but toiled in the middle. I do feel from a far that you are ticking over nicely though but a breakthrough season is needed soon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Overall thoughts on your season? You started brilliantly but toiled in the middle. I do feel from a far that you are ticking over nicely though but a breakthrough season is needed soon.

...today's game was typical of the season!!!

An inability to close out the game and could easily have blown the win. Pretty frustrating watching a team which seems capable to reach top four constantly sabotaging themselves.

Results and standings after week 34

STVV 0-1 Antwerp
Charleroi 2-2 KRC Genk
Club Brugge 7-0 KAS Eupen
Anderlecht 2-3 KV Mechelen
KAA Gent 1-2 KV Oostende
OH Leuven 3-2 Standard
KV Kortrijk 2-4 Union
RFC Seraing 1-1 Westerlo
Zulte Waregem 2-3 Cercle Brugge

P     TEAM PTS GP W L D GF GA GD
1 KRC Genk  75 34 23 5 6 78 37 41
2 Union  75 34 23 5 6 70 41 29
3 Antwerp  72 34 22 6 6 59 26 33
4 Club Brugge  59 34 16 7 11 61 36 25
5 KAA Gent  56 34 16 10 8 64 38 26
6 Standard  55 34 16 11 7 58 45 13
7 Westerlo  51 34 14 11 9 61 53 8
8 Cercle Brugge  50 34 13 10 11 50 46 4
9   Charleroi  48 34 14 14 6 45 52 -7
10   OH Leuven  48 34 13 12 9 56 48 8
11   Anderlecht  46 34 13 14 7 49 46 3
12   STVV  42 34 11 14 9 37 40 -3
13   KV Mechelen  40 34 11 16 7 49 63 -14
14   KV Kortrijk  31 34 8 19 7 37 61 -24
15   KAS Eupen  28 34 7 20 7 40 75 -35
16 KV Oostende  27 34 7 21 6 37 76 -39
17 Zulte Waregem  27 34 6 19 9 50 78 -28
18 RFC Seraing  20 34 5 24 5 28 68 -40

End of the regular season.

KRC Genk, Union, Antwerp and Club Brugge will battle in the Champions Playoffs:
1st place wins the league and qualifies for the 3th qualifying round of the Champions League
2nd place qualifies for the 2nd qualifying round of the Champions League
3th place qualifies for the 2nd qualifying round of the Conference League
4th place will face the winner of the Europe Playoffs. The winner of this game also qualifies for the 2nd qualifying round of the Conference League.

KAA Gent, Standard, Westerlo and Cercle Brugge will compete in the Europe playoffs:
1st  place will face the 4th placed team of the Champions Playoffs. The winner of this game qualifies for the 2nd qualifying round of the Conference League.

For Charleroi, OH Leuven, Anderlecht, STVV, KV Mechelen, KV Kortrijk, KAS Eupen, KV Oostende, Zulte Waregem and RFC Seraing the season ends tonight.

KV Oostende, Zulte Waregem and RFC Seraing have been relegated to the 2nd division

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm a glass half full kind of person, especially considering the last few games. We lost Maertens for about 8 weeks through injury, which pretty much collided with our poor run of form. Ever since he's back and fully fit, we've been playing really well again. I think that without his injury, we would have played top eight with ease.

There a very good base to build on towards next season as well. At the back Mendyl, Pletinckx and Ricca were new signings, so it's unlikely they'll leave already. Patris is the only one who will probably go, hopefully for decent money, as there's a lot of clubs interested apparently. Young, tall, fast, solid technicals: A perfect modern right back. 

In midfield, all of the important players signed a contract extension. Keita (currently on loan at Antwerp) is the only one who might go but the fee will be steep and would give us a nice war chest to go shopping with.

Up front, Thorsteinsson has been great in his first season. Opoku will also probably stay for another year (the whole work permit story), only Tamari will probably leave as he's end of contract. I'm not going to miss him, great dribbler and improved a lot defensively but just not decisive enough in front of goal. Yesterday was symptomatic, had an easy tap in but kicked over the ball and had a free header but completely missed that one as well. Had a clear way to square it for Opoku in the second half for an easy tap in but decided to shoot himself. That kind of stuff. 

Given a few solid additions, I do believe we can have a very good next edition.

21 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...today's game was typical of the season!!!

An inability to close out the game and could easily have blown the win. Pretty frustrating watching a team which seems capable to reach top four constantly sabotaging themselves.

That's quite harsh. Standard's second goal in added time was a lucky shot from distance, we literally gave nothing away apart from that. Don't forget that they came off the back of three wins in a row, including one over league leaders Genk. 

• Like 3