Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

League One & Two - 2022/23

3 hours ago, Tuna said:

Proper Derby bottle job they were comfortable in playoffs not long ago.

They are a funny (as in curious) club tbh. An absolute non entity of a town (technically a City but it is in no way a City. More in common with Loughborough their lover over in Nottingham) yet I think they think, based on home crowds (a fair enough assumption) that they are on a par status with Us or Wolves or even Norwich. 

When was the last proper famous player that Derby developed / produced? Tom Huddleston, 20 years ago?   Seth Johnson?  Kris Commons? Not exactly a hall of fame.

I think that sort of player says it all. Third tier club is about right. 

1 hour ago, cambridgefox said:

Hopefully they will lose heavily to Sheffield Wednesday .

Cambridge really finished the season well.

I assume you’re local?

Yes - moved to Cambridge from Leicester when I got married in 2006. Are you local? 

I used to post as CambridgeFox on other boards, but someone had already nicked that name here. ;)

Milton Keynes has been pretty much a waste of time. 20 years ago Wimbledon were a top 10 Championship team, MK haven't been anywhere near that and have spent more time in League 2 than the second tier. Crowd numbers are nothing special. 

All that upheaval and trouble for a generic lower league existence.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I would say derby are at their limit in league one? Not a big club and small town so I guess good season for them overall? 

Given all their financial limitations it has been pretty good.

1 minute ago, Golden Fox said:

Yes - moved to Cambridge from Leicester when I got married in 2006. Are you local? 

I used to post as CambridgeFox on other boards, but someone had already nicked that name here. ;)

😂 Thing is I don’t live in Cambridge.

15 miles North.Always lived here.

Apologies as I’ve said this loads before.The reason I support Leicester is because the first glittery badge I got as a kid in the Panini book was Leicester,I’m 52 now.As you know it’s not far,although Monday was a 12.45 home due to roadworks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

They are a funny (as in curious) club tbh. An absolute non entity of a town (technically a City but it is in no way a City. More in common with Loughborough their lover over in Nottingham) yet I think they think, based on home crowds (a fair enough assumption) that they are on a par status with Us or Wolves or even Norwich. 

When was the last proper famous player that Derby developed / produced? Tom Huddleston, 20 years ago?   Seth Johnson?  Kris Commons? Not exactly a hall of fame.

I think that sort of player says it all. Third tier club is about right. 

I mean, I would say Derby is lesser of the East Midlands Cities but it's population is bigger than Southampton and Norwich (and other good Cities such as Lincoln and York but those have lower league clubs).

In terms of football they are a founding member of the football league. I don't really pay much attention to players they produce but I would guess at Will Hughes being their last best. Neither Kris Commons or Seth Johnson started at Derby so I find it strange you suggested them, it's pretty common knowledge Commons went from Forest to Derby.

23 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I mean, I would say Derby is lesser of the East Midlands Cities but it's population is bigger than Southampton and Norwich (and other good Cities such as Lincoln and York but those have lower league clubs).

In terms of football they are a founding member of the football league. I don't really pay much attention to players they produce but I would guess at Will Hughes being their last best. Neither Kris Commons or Seth Johnson started at Derby so I find it strange you suggested them, it's pretty common knowledge Commons went from Forest to Derby.

City populations are often misleading, with council Districts not necessarily representative of a greater urban area.  Both Norwich and Southampton feel like regional centres and have an atmosphere that befits. Derby's 'feel' is much more Loughborough than it is, say, Sheffield. 

And bravo Derby! Will Hughes! ....I mentioned Kommons btw to be fair and give them a chance of at least being associated with a decent player, not necessarily one from their academy. 

Basically, they are a Preston. A Huddersfield. Albeit the glory years a generation sooner. But you've got to be at least 60 to recall The Rams being any good. A proud old club from the days football was rooted in northern heavy manufacturing towns. The world has moved on. I think they are largely done.