Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Remembering When Tony James Saved City From The Drop

I met him when I was about 12. He was hanging around outside a hair salon (probably dating one of the girls). I was starstruck at the time as I'd never met anyone who was famous and asked for his autograph which he said yes, but I didn't have any paper or a pen so I think he wrote it on a piece of ripped paper out of his car 😂 . Seemed nice bloke from what I can remember, had plenty of time for me and my friends, well he had to wait for her to knock off work anyway. 

2 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

I met him when I was about 12. He was hanging around outside a hair salon (probably dating one of the girls). I was starstruck at the time as I'd never met anyone who was famous and asked for his autograph which he said yes, but I didn't have any paper or a pen so I think he wrote it on a piece of ripped paper out of his car 😂 . Seemed nice bloke from what I can remember, had plenty of time for me and my friends, well he had to wait for her to knock off work anyway. 

He used to live around the corner from me in Aylestone. Always stopped and chatted about City if asked. Nice bloke.

My favorite top!

used to love Tony James.

I Remember being on the pitch after that game feeling like a proper hooligan even though I was too scared to even pick a blade of grass let alone break anything! Incredible game.

My friends and I used to go down before away games to try and get autographs.James used to drive a Volvo. Looked quite old too actually. I remember before an away game  he drove literally up to the main  doors at Filbert street and got out. David Kelly lambasted him shouting “ you can’t park there you Pri*k! He blocked the coach from getting through to take the players to the game. David Kelly was a bit of a joker/ clown back then and he used to walk around with his jogging bottoms/ shell suit bottoms pulled up just below his knees like he just stepped off the beach at cleethorpes, or something..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rain King said:

Was the 3rd game I'd ever been to but the first one I remember.

Sitting in the Double Deck with my Dad.

Don't remember much of the match, the noise and watching the pitch invasion at the end stick out as memories.

Funny as this was also my 3rd ever game (I do remember my 1st game but not the 2nd).  I was in the East stand so was able to participate in the post match pitch invasion.   Great memories.

The build up was huge for weeks. 

I seem to remember us losing something like 5 - 2 at Swindon - then there was the Hare Krishna Riot at Ipswich where we lost 3 - 2 - I took a Fulham supporting mate to this game and he was amazed by the size and vocal support of our fans as well as the constant threat of disorder even though a number of fans were wearing fancy dress - I remember a particularly good Postman Pat costume. 

We'd probably averaged about 10,000 all season but there was over 19,000 for this Oxford game and the sense of relief was palpable ........... never again we said!  

I was listening to the scores on my short wave in Oklahoma and the reception was lousy.  I managed to hear through the crackles that James had scored but that WBA were playing against 10 men. All very nerve wracking!

First time i'd seen Filbert Street full. Walking up to my seat and seeing the whole kop rammed was a moment i'll never forget. Still to this day an all time moment in my personal lcfc history.

Couldn't get my head around seeing pens 1,2 and 3 jampacked, littered with blue tickertape and balloons. it was a fecking glorious sight for a kid who's first two seasons going down Filbert St with my old man often yielded less than 10K attendance.

Tony James. Tony chuffing bloody brilliant James.

All in the past and irrelevant now though, bigger fish to fry - 30 years later I'm sat here angry we let that charlatan Rodgers get away with our reserves only finising 8th last season.

I remember it well as it was my first season down at City. Was sat near the front of the Double Decker so had a great view of the goal. 

One thing that I never understood about the old West Stand (pre Carling Stand) at Filbert Street and for some reason always sticks in my mind when I think about that game. Why did the stand have Wembley style stairs and a players balcony?