Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER...uncapped players

Muzzy Izzett for England :ph34r: I heard something once he was going to get a call up after the world cup 1998 and be part of Hoddle's setup. However Hoddle got sacked, Keegan stepped in and just didn't seem to fancy Muzzy. In the end Muzzy got approached by Turkey and opted for them instead.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Marc Albrighton, possible the first Englishman to ever score two goals in the champions league, win the fa cup and premier league, but still be considered not good for the national side. Typical theme with England where as always it comes down, you have to play for the right clubs, Mason Greenwood for example even before he got nicked, he was good young average player who probably would be the same at any premier league club but because he was playing for Man United he was considered to be a top player. When at the time there was other English strikers who were finding the net on a regular basis can't get near at the time. 

Sorry but he's not. Albrighton, while so good for us, is just a limited winger.

His best goalscoring return is no more than 5 goals in a season.

As for first Englishman to ever score two goals in the CL, win the league and FA Cup? What? What about players such as Lampard and Sol Campbell.

Greenwood played for England once. I can't think of strikers who were "finding in the net on a regular basis" at that time but the likes of Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings have both played for England more often than Greenwood.

People are obsessed with this "only get picked if you're top 6 side" but take Chilwell and Maguire, as examples, both got picked for England when they were here. Mings gets picked every game for England, doesn't play for a top 6 side and he's shit.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Marc Albrighton, possible the first Englishman to ever score two goals in the champions league, win the fa cup and premier league, but still be considered not good for the national side. Typical theme with England where as always it comes down, you have to play for the right clubs, Mason Greenwood for example even before he got nicked, he was good young average player who probably would be the same at any premier league club but because he was playing for Man United he was considered to be a top player. When at the time there was other English strikers who were finding the net on a regular basis can't get near at the time. 

“Two goals in the champions league”

very niche club to get in that

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry but he's not. Albrighton, while so good for us, is just a limited winger.

His best goalscoring return is no more than 5 goals in a season.

As for first Englishman to ever score two goals in the CL, win the league and FA Cup? What? What about players such as Lampard and Sol Campbell.

Greenwood played for England once. I can't think of strikers who were "finding in the net on a regular basis" at that time but the likes of Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings have both played for England more often than Greenwood.

People are obsessed with this "only get picked if you're top 6 side" but take Chilwell and Maguire, as examples, both got picked for England when they were here. Mings gets picked every game for England, doesn't play for a top 6 side and he's shit.

I’m pretty sure both Frank Lampard and Sol Campbell made an appearance or two for England…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

I’m pretty sure both Frank Lampard and Sol Campbell made an appearance or two for England…

Ooops didn't see the part where he put "but". I was too raging.

Other than that I still stand by my point.

Edited by Fox92

5 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Muzzy Izzett for England :ph34r: I heard something once he was going to get a call up after the world cup 1998 and be part of Hoddle's setup. However Hoddle got sacked, Keegan stepped in and just didn't seem to fancy Muzzy. In the end Muzzy got approached by Turkey and opted for them instead.

This. Yes I guess he technically was capped and played in a World Cup semi final no less, it’s criminal a player of his talent was capped when players like Guppy, Gray and Drinkwater got at least one cap. In fact it’s more criminal that players like Chilwell and Maguire became mainstays! Those guys are good but Muzzy was consistently excellent. 

5 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Would be been a bit of egg on Hoddles face after selling him a couple of years before. His form at the time though probably did warrant a place.

5 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Would be been a bit of egg on Hoddles face after selling him a couple of years before. His form at the time though probably did warrant a place.

I'm pretty sure it was after the League Cup semi final win over Villa that he celebrated by running towards the Kop with a Turkish flag, basically saying, I've made my choice.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

This. Yes I guess he technically was capped and played in a World Cup semi final no less, it’s criminal a player of his talent was capped when players like Guppy, Gray and Drinkwater got at least one cap. In fact it’s more criminal that players like Chilwell and Maguire became mainstays! Those guys are good but Muzzy was consistently excellent. 

To be fair if he had have got them England call ups its extremely unlikely he'd have been with us after relegation. It was unlikely anyway, but his stock would have been even higher.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I'm pretty sure it was after the League Cup semi final win over Villa that he celebrated by running towards the Kop with a Turkish flag, basically saying, I've made my choice.

Read this earlier from October 99

Quite interesting 

Izzet now hopes to become Leicester's ninth England international - but was not he once in line to play for Turkey?

"Euro 96 was coming up, I had just got in the Leicester team and someone asked me if I was interested. I was young and naïve, but then they mentioned national service."

In the event it would only have been a few months which he could have served at the end of his career, but Izzet would rather play for England. "I was born here [in Mile End], I don't speak Turkish. I don't have any relatives there. I've only been once, to Bodrum with my mates."

The link is more with Cyprus. His grandparents - who still call him Mustapha - lived there before moving to London while Izzet's father was still a toddler. His mother is English and he was brought up in the East End spending his early years in Vallance Road, previously home to the Kray twins.