Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCJoe96

Women’s Euro 2022 - Hosted in England

1 minute ago, Ian Nacho said:

Surely it’s a tad unprofessional to be dancing around the pitch wearing scarves and hats when you’ve won fvck all?

Nah some of my happiest memories as a kid are the celebrations and laps of honour in the various Play-Off/League Cup Semi Finals.

Got to enjoy it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, filbertway said:

You reckon the goal sizes are fine then?

We haven't conceded a single goal like that this tournament so far. If it's based on genetics as you say surely both teams are just as likely to score a goal like that and it's a level playing field. Doing things like shrinking the pitch size and goal would make it much harder for women's football to grow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, filbertway said:

You reckon the goal sizes are fine then?

38 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

We haven't conceded a single goal like that this tournament so far. If it's based on genetics as you say surely both teams are just as likely to score a goal like that and it's a level playing field. Doing things like shrinking the pitch size and goal would make it much harder for women's football to grow.

Its a difficult one.

In the past 10 years or so, the standard of goalkeeping in the womens game is better but still playing catch up but the standard of general play is a lot better in my view, at a faster trajectory than keeping especially as players are striking the ball with a lot more pace and accuracy at goal.

That said, defending is generally better too.

In the mens game they are always developing the ball to help strikers and therefore create more goals/ entertainment.

Perhaps in the womens game the solution is in ball design rather than the size of the goal while keeping catches up? I dunno. I guess that also creates a difference between mens and womens game too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Oh no, the goals are too big, there's more goals going in. It's too exciting! Let's make the goals smaller so we can have as many nil nils as the mens game, that's bound to get more people interested! 

I see what you are saying, but the argument is it will reduce thrashings for the lesser teams and make for more tighter matches. They can be more exciting then seeing a team win 4/5 nil. 

40 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's just a ridiculous idea. 

I'm not massively in to tennis but men and women play on the same size court, right? At the Olympics, the women aren't running the 80m they do the same sprints as the men? Women's field hockey is one of the most prominent women's sports relative to the men's event, don't they play with the exact same set up as the men? Genuine question, I'm not being facetious. 

More goals in women's football isn't a problem that needs to be solved it's just a consequence of the game being a little different. People celebrate the differences of women's tennis, it's often said that the rallies are longer and more tactical because there's less emphasis on power, right? Some people say they prefer watching it for that reason? 

Just leave women's football be, accept that there'll be some differences and stop seeing it as a problem. 

There are differences in some Olympic events javelin is lighter and so is the shot put. It isn’t ridiculous, it is a valid discussion in my view. 

I however don’t think the goals should change, because over time the standard will pick up anyway. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

50 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

No-one really mentioning the Swedish keeper is 39 and Chelsea let her go because they thought she was past it. I got more Shilton vibes than make the goals smaller vibe 

And the Russo goal might be an error but it's a forced error. She's caught flat footed because she's obviously not expecting a back heel attempt from an absurd angle. Keepers are caught off guard like that at all levels of the sport regardless of sex. 

Rob Green didn't have the same excuse.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And the Russo goal might be an error but it's a forced error. She's caught flat footed because she's obviously not expecting a back heel attempt from an absurd angle. Keepers are caught off guard like that at all levels of the sport regardless of sex. 

Someone once made an excellent point about goals or moments in sport. 

Everything single goal is unique on their own merit regardless of playing level. Now the probability of that increases with better players but we’ve all seen a video online of an incredible goal on a Sunday morning. Russo’s was ridiculously unique and totally unexpected. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TJQuik said:

It is a level playfield, but it makes a mockery of the game when you see so many goals float in. I don't think the pitch needs shrinking as that doesn't affect performance. Making the goals smaller when women are clearly smaller on average would help make games more competitive and stop people just being able to put the ball in the corner to score.

This isn't me taking the p*ss it's a genuinely easy solution and would help improve the game. If you start making goals 9 feet tall and 30 feet wide, you'd see the same thing. No training or extra ability in the world will make you be able to grow extra inches and stop these goals from going in.

49 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The Russo goal was Vardy like genius, it would have caught almost any keeper out. Man or woman. I doubt you'd find any keeper holding her accountable for that one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

The argument around smaller goals is flawed in that it will make the woman’s game less inclusive at the grassroots level as they can’t use the same goals as men. 

That's the first decent argumment i've heard. 

I wonder if there'd be a market for somethhing that can be easily attached to and detached from posts/crossbars to help bring them in easily.

It just seems a massive shame to me that these players can work and improve themselves, but if teams are switched on enough, they can just keep floating high shots towards the goal and likely score.

I'm sure people would be arguing for smaller goals in the men's game if the same thing was happening because the goals were a foot higher.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Why not allow men to play in goal for all teams? Allow it as the only position that can be allowed. Only issue I could see is that there might be a physical mismatch when handling crosses, rushing out etc...

Or we could just… let the women go in goal and enjoy the game regardless?

For me part of why I’ve enjoyed this tournament so much is that it’s more direct and the style of play is different. 

I don’t feel like it’s gone the same way as post-Guardiola men’s football where everything is obsessed with technical ability and being able to make short passes and have close control, often to the detriment of the spectacle of the game.

The technical ability, certainly of England, is still very high while still allowing for more direct play. I think it’s been refreshing to watch, in comparison to the England men’s team for example.

• Like 1

Incredible work from some of the men on here on how to make the women's game better. Perhaps if our forefathers hadn't shit themselves and banned it for 50 years maybe it'd be far more advanced than you're desperate for it to be.

Someone has already answered the point about goals: Access. reduce goal sizes and you immediately reduce access. Not only is football glorious because of it's simplicity, but also access. One ball, two goals, grass pitch, away you go. Clubs and resources barely stretch financially as it is, without having to swap out goals between men and women games.

The women's game is advancing year on year on year, and it'll only get better. The fact it's having to catch up so much is society's fault, so let it do what it can. I hate the comparisons to the men's game (especially scoring charts/England goals etc etc) but good lord people are extremely precious aren't they?

Let the game evolve, let it grow. Goalkeepers will get better, outfield players and coaching will get better, attendances and fanbases will grow, female players will become more prevalent and bigger role models. Winning on Sunday will go a massive way to doing that, and they also have next year's World Cup to capitalise on it as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

Or we could just… let the women go in goal and enjoy the game regardless?

For me part of why I’ve enjoyed this tournament so much is that it’s more direct and the style of play is different. 

I don’t feel like it’s gone the same way as post-Guardiola men’s football where everything is obsessed with technical ability and being able to make short passes and have close control, often to the detriment of the spectacle of the game.

The technical ability, certainly of England, is still very high while still allowing for more direct play. I think it’s been refreshing to watch, in comparison to the England men’s team for example.

Exactly right.  The idea of men in goal in women's football is just ridiculous and it's a solution to a barely existent problem - how many goals are floated in over the keepers' heads?  It happens, but it's rare.  I've been watching women's football for more than 20 years at all levels and it just isn't a big issue.

In men's football I only watch Leicester's matches these days - I just have no interest in watching obscenely overpaid muppets rolling around the floor or screaming abuse at referees.  I want to watch good football played for the love of the game and in a positive spirit.  I get that from women's football, and if you spend any time around the women's game you soon find that it's a wonderfully inclusive and welcoming place to be.  I hope it goes from strength to strength.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Incredible work from some of the men on here on how to make the women's game better. Perhaps if our forefathers hadn't shit themselves and banned it for 50 years maybe it'd be far more advanced than you're desperate for it to be.

Someone has already answered the point about goals: Access. reduce goal sizes and you immediately reduce access. Not only is football glorious because of it's simplicity, but also access. One ball, two goals, grass pitch, away you go. Clubs and resources barely stretch financially as it is, without having to swap out goals between men and women games.

The women's game is advancing year on year on year, and it'll only get better. The fact it's having to catch up so much is society's fault, so let it do what it can. I hate the comparisons to the men's game (especially scoring charts/England goals etc etc) but good lord people are extremely precious aren't they?

Let the game evolve, let it grow. Goalkeepers will get better, outfield players and coaching will get better, attendances and fanbases will grow, female players will become more prevalent and bigger role models. Winning on Sunday will go a massive way to doing that, and they also have next year's World Cup to capitalise on it as well.

This and this quoted again for emphasis.

• Like 1