Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCJoe96

Women’s Euro 2022 - Hosted in England

Really looking forward to this. 

Pleased to see the ladies game getting the investment and attention. 

Mostly been positive apart from the odd sexist remarks on social media. Saw one guy say "we'll never know how good they are until they play against men" FFS. How stupid can you be!

Come on England! It's coming home....

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Really looking forward to this. 

Pleased to see the ladies game getting the investment and attention. 

Mostly been positive apart from the odd sexist remarks on social media. Saw one guy say "we'll never know how good they are until they play against men" FFS. How stupid can you be!

Come on England! It's coming home....

Ha ha I know, I’ve spoke to one bloke who said “I just can’t watch women play for some reason” yet he’ll go and watch low low level non league, then there’s those who have never watched the womens game before yet are all of a sudden experts on how to improve it. I even know one chap that wouldn’t let his daughter play because he thought it was unlady like WTF lol I didn’t realise he lived at downton abbey lol I think some feel threatened by it, but they really need to go and watch a couple of games and see what it’s about, might change their viewpoint.

But I can’t wait, tried to get tickets but left it too late, however I’m confident that they’ll do it. 

COME ON ENGLAND

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Ha ha I know, I’ve spoke to one bloke who said “I just can’t watch women play for some reason” yet he’ll go and watch low low level non league, then there’s those who have never watched the womens game before yet are all of a sudden experts on how to improve it. I even know one chap that wouldn’t let his daughter play because he thought it was unlady like WTF lol I didn’t realise he lived at downton abbey lol I think some feel threatened by it, but they really need to go and watch a couple of games and see what it’s about, might change their viewpoint.

But I can’t wait, tried to get tickets but left it too late, however I’m confident that they’ll do it. 

COME ON ENGLAND

yeah the guy who said "we don't know how good they are becaue they don't play against men" - what a tit. By his argument, we will never know how good Serena Williams was. Or Jessica Ennis. Or Shelly Ann Fraser Price. Or Flo Jo. 

My sons started the tournament shrugging the "i'm not interested in women's football" and am sorry to say seemed to have some of the hard wired sexism but I've been at pains to stress that the commitment, dedication and hard work these girls have put in is no different to the men.

They're fully into it now and have even opted to stay at home tonight to watch England rather then go to the Sevilla match.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

yeah the guy who said "we don't know how good they are becaue they don't play against men" - what a tit. By his argument, we will never know how good Serena Williams was. Or Jessica Ennis. Or Shelly Ann Fraser Price. Or Flo Jo. 

My sons started the tournament shrugging the "i'm not interested in women's football" and am sorry to say seemed to have some of the hard wired sexism but I've been at pains to stress that the commitment, dedication and hard work these girls have put in is no different to the men.

They're fully into it now and have even opted to stay at home tonight to watch England rather then go to the Sevilla match.

Yes, those that I mentioned are the minority, most people I speak to have really got into it and are loving the good attacking football we’ve been playing and enjoyed the tournament as a whole.  

On 27/07/2022 at 11:02, Finnegan said:

It's just a ridiculous idea. 

I'm not massively in to tennis but men and women play on the same size court, right? At the Olympics, the women aren't running the 80m they do the same sprints as the men? Women's field hockey is one of the most prominent women's sports relative to the men's event, don't they play with the exact same set up as the men? Genuine question, I'm not being facetious. 

More goals in women's football isn't a problem that needs to be solved it's just a consequence of the game being a little different. People celebrate the differences of women's tennis, it's often said that the rallies are longer and more tactical because there's less emphasis on power, right? Some people say they prefer watching it for that reason? 

Just leave women's football be, accept that there'll be some differences and stop seeing it as a problem. 

I know they've brought the boundaries in for women's cricket compared to the men's game, not sure if it still the case. The only sport I can think of where the dimensions are altered.

No need, as you say, to reduce goal sizes. The bigger issue is the disparity in resources within the women's game.

On 27/07/2022 at 11:02, Finnegan said:

It's just a ridiculous idea. 

I'm not massively in to tennis but men and women play on the same size court, right? At the Olympics, the women aren't running the 80m they do the same sprints as the men? Women's field hockey is one of the most prominent women's sports relative to the men's event, don't they play with the exact same set up as the men? Genuine question, I'm not being facetious. 

More goals in women's football isn't a problem that needs to be solved it's just a consequence of the game being a little different. People celebrate the differences of women's tennis, it's often said that the rallies are longer and more tactical because there's less emphasis on power, right? Some people say they prefer watching it for that reason? 

Just leave women's football be, accept that there'll be some differences and stop seeing it as a problem. 

More goals isn't the problem you're right, but if we're thinking about this in terms of making the game more accessible and in the idea of fairness. Football goals are different to say hockey goals, it seems that it's very much in the mind of creating it around what the size of the keepers are. Whereas with hockey is more catered to the size of ball. Average premier League goalies gonna be what mid 6'2 to about 6'5 you'd think, your average lady goalie is probably within the 5 foot range. 

29 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

More goals isn't the problem you're right, but if we're thinking about this in terms of making the game more accessible and in the idea of fairness. Football goals are different to say hockey goals, it seems that it's very much in the mind of creating it around what the size of the keepers are. Whereas with hockey is more catered to the size of ball. Average premier League goalies gonna be what mid 6'2 to about 6'5 you'd think, your average lady goalie is probably within the 5 foot range. 

I would imagine in time the taller girls that love football will be attracted to be keepers. In same way most boys that are keepers are tall on average. I suspect that girls that play netball or basketball tend to be taller than their peers? Agility is also a requirement obviously. Kevin Poole had a good long career and not the tallest so always exceptions.

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I would imagine in time the taller girls that love football will be attracted to be keepers. In same way most boys that are keepers are tall on average. I suspect that girls that play netball or basketball tend to be taller than their peers? Agility is also a requirement obviously. Kevin Poole had a good long career and not the tallest so always exceptions.

Yeah that's true, but you have the case of your taller women not being as tall as your taller men, so it would make sense to adjust the goals accordingly. Goalies will genuinely be outliers when it comes to height, so it probably wouldn't need a drastic change, but it seems logical to me. 

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Yeah that's true, but you have the case of your taller women not being as tall as your taller men, so it would make sense to adjust the goals accordingly. Goalies will genuinely be outliers when it comes to height, so it probably wouldn't need a drastic change, but it seems logical to me. 

I thought this when I first watched the womens game. I wonder what the women members of keepers union think. 

5 hours ago, Corky said:

I know they've brought the boundaries in for women's cricket compared to the men's game, not sure if it still the case. The only sport I can think of where the dimensions are altered.

No need, as you say, to reduce goal sizes. The bigger issue is the disparity in resources within the women's game.

Golf too

Its always been beyond me why women play off Red Tees (I have no idea what they play off in major tournaments) when the handicap system is implemented to even out the game anyway. 

I think this game is bigger than just a womens final or Englands final. This persists hoodoo against Germany needs to be banished once and for all. Who knows maybe it will inspire the mens team to go on and win a trophy too! Cmon England!

• Like 1