Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JimmyC74

Recruitment strategy under the spotlight 

23 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Now there is a very good question.  Currently,  it appears Ric is doing more work than the lot of them put together!

I suspect that are playing Cluedo (or Clueless) trying find out who was, why and how on earth the green light was given to bring in the Hampshire 2.

Unless….Ric IS the recruitment department..   :huh:

Monday “1st job Ric, a new CB as Jannick is crap, Wes is eyeing Chelsea”

Tuesday: “Very nice but that’s a left footed right winger Ric, try again”

Wednesday: “No, same, left-footed right winger”

Thursday: Sign, “Repeat after me Ric C-e-n-t-r-e b-a-c-k”

Friday: “This is why we ended up with Jannick last time…”

• Haha 1

On 26/07/2022 at 14:21, Bluearmyfox28 said:

So I have received some information from a friend that is also friends with someone that works very high within the club. I have contemplated for the past few days to share this as I know sometimes “inside information” can get you shot down on this forum. But basically I am going to explain the clubs financial stance. Take it with a pinch of salt if you wish and before anyone asks, no I am not ITK I simply have just been told some information that’s came from someone within the club that it affects the most.

A lot of this information is kind of echoing parts that we already know.

The club are struggling massively financially with regards to FFP and our wages. Transfer budgets are not a issue, it is simply our wage budget is way to high than what we are bringing in without European football. 

IF the club does not manage to offload anyone, the high possibility is that we will not be seeing anyone coming in this window. The club was under the impression that players such as Perez, Hamza, Soumare, Vestegaard etc would be relatively easy to offload for a decent price. The problem the club are finding themselves in is the interest is there & the obvious answer would be to bite the bullet and take less to clear yourself out of the mess. However by doing this the club hurt themselves short term as the fee’s they will be receiving are well below the asking price, which is the current problem they are having. The team have built a good reputation of getting the most out of clubs with regards to selling players and do not want that ruining all in one window. Teams are trying to force the clubs hand into selling for ridiculously low prices as they are aware of the trouble the club is in, for example Torino with Praet.

As things stand, even a contract extension for Youri (unless on the same wage) is not possible as it will put them further in trouble with FFP. Also will help people understand why a player like Cags has not had a new contract offered as its simply not possible & the reason why there is numerous links with players like Kasper.

The likelihood of a big money sale is also well within the realm of possibility so that some transfer budget can be converted over to wages to secure the stability of the club, hence the links to players like Barnes & Maddison.

From what I can gather, if we manage to sell some players don’t expect big name signings in to replace as the club will simply be putting themselves in the same situation as they are currently in. IMO it appears the club have been banking on top 7 football in order to not be in a FFP crisis.

It doesn’t finish there either. IF the club does not manage to offload a few of the big earning squad players, the likelihood of a big overhaul next summer is a real possibility with the likes of Kasper being out of contract & the club losing them for nothing to simply clear themselves out of this mess.

Like I say take it with a pinch of salt if you wish, just thought I would share as there is a lot of confusion currently regarding what is happening behind the scenes.

No idea how much truth is in this, but we do seem to get ourselves in a pickle by negotiating too hard.  Just cut the losses and offload if the offers are there.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Whatever the ins and outs of the finances at the club, I’m struggling to recall us having more boring transfer windows than the this and last summer’s.

New players may not work, but it gives us fans a buzz seeing someone new in a blue shirt. Simply looking forward to seeing how they’ll play, how they’ll gel, how they’ll develop etc. 
This transfer window, in that respect, has been an absolute fookin bore fest thus far and I think is indicative of how the club has gone over the past year or so.

There needs to be some sort of buzz at LCFC to get money paying fans back talking again and really looking forward to the forthcoming season. 
I’m excited, as always, about the Prem starting up again, but not so much for Leicester given our lack of ANY transfer activity.

Even if we don’t get anyone IN, just to know we’ve sold a couple would give us some hope that they can be replaced with better over time.

Edited by Col city fan

I think we should just stick with what we’ve got and see how it goes.

Would be awful to lose a first team player like Fofana/Maddison just to spend it on dross like Bednarek. Rebuild next summer when we have more wages to play with.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shane said:

I think we should just stick with what we’ve got and see how it goes.

Would be awful to lose a first team player like Fofana/Maddison just to spend it on dross like Bednarek. Rebuild next summer when we have more wages to play with.

Agree, this squad on paper is good enough to push for a European slot and the straight battle between us and West Ham I think we pip as they will be having the extra European fight to those odd little places miles away, it would be the same if roles reversed the 2 clubs just not deep enough to cope on all 4 fronts.

If no one leaves we have 10 players out of contract next summer with 4 of them starters, Kasper it’s known he wants a new challenge so he goes but huge wage freed, will replace.

Evans / Vardy I think will get extension on lower wages

Tielemens he will walk again probably good wages freed up, will replace but could it be Praet with a younger midfielder as back up Braybrooke?

Then

Cags, does he want to go or a victim of wage issues so can’t offer better deal? Would be happy for him to stay if he can get his head back in the game and offer accepted from freed wages, if not will replace

Then

Amartey, Hamza, Bertrand, Perez and Mendy frees a huge weekly wage for players who won’t appear much this season so if used to bring in just 2 quality signings coupled with blooding 1 or 2 U21/23s surely we are in a better position for the hopefully European campaign 23/24

So next summer we will need to replace 2 maybe 3 positions but also have 5 non starters to get 2 (3) quality that should start, ie RW

Obviously we are going to have to manage the Maddison, Fofana, Barnes enquiries next season if they have another good season but these will be big numbers coming in for big replacement signings if required.

Long and short of it, whilst it looks like we are stagnating due to lack of movement we do have a very good squad and 7 of those 10 most would probably say yeah they can go anyway.

• Like 1

Something is definitely up with the club. We probably won't catch wind of it till later in the season, but something isn't right.

It could be any or all of:

- Gambled too much on getting Champions League / Europe and qualification for neither has cost us. Add in the training ground, the stadium plans, not selling a player last season and Covid and the King Power group over extended themselves. The issue with this theory is that if that was the case, I'd expect King Power to desperately look for any revenue stream, e.g. selling Stadium naming rights and so on.

- Are preparing for a new manager. Rodgers has done great for us, but he is an expensive manager. The typical manager in the league lasts 18 months, so Rodgers has done brilliantly to stay in charge for so long. Perhaps the club thinks he has taken as far as he can and it's time for a new manager to come in and rebuild again? Or they think that this is a possibility so don't want to support him too much. As an example look at Ragnick at Man U in January. They didn't sign any players for him as they wanted to wait for Ten Hag in the summer. Ours is a very different scenario, but it's not unheard of for this to happen.

- Are preparing for Martyn Glover our new Head of Recruitment to start before signing big name players. We hired a very well thought of Head of Recruitment that doesn't start till October, so maybe this is a case of waiting till he's in and figuring out what is needed, as signings may need to fit in with a new manager (see above) or overall club philosophy.

No doubt come the end of the window we will make some signings. No doubt we will have another season loan move like Under and Lookman in the past. And probably there will be at least one out and one in, and it will require the dominos to start falling at the very end of the window. We've seen this before with Soyucnu, Drinkwater / Silva and Slimani in the past so it's not that impossible for it to happen.

But all that said, not selling or signing ANY players by the time the Community Shield starts is weird - there's no two ways about it! I am not panicked for the season, we still have a good team and decent squad. But something isn't right...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Something is definitely up with the club. We probably won't catch wind of it till later in the season, but something isn't right.

It could be any or all of:

- Gambled too much on getting Champions League / Europe and qualification for neither has cost us. Add in the training ground, the stadium plans, not selling a player last season and Covid and the King Power group over extended themselves. The issue with this theory is that if that was the case, I'd expect King Power to desperately look for any revenue stream, e.g. selling Stadium naming rights and so on.

- Are preparing for a new manager. Rodgers has done great for us, but he is an expensive manager. The typical manager in the league lasts 18 months, so Rodgers has done brilliantly to stay in charge for so long. Perhaps the club thinks he has taken as far as he can and it's time for a new manager to come in and rebuild again? Or they think that this is a possibility so don't want to support him too much. As an example look at Ragnick at Man U in January. They didn't sign any players for him as they wanted to wait for Ten Hag in the summer. Ours is a very different scenario, but it's not unheard of for this to happen.

- Are preparing for Martyn Glover our new Head of Recruitment to start before signing big name players. We hired a very well thought of Head of Recruitment that doesn't start till October, so maybe this is a case of waiting till he's in and figuring out what is needed, as signings may need to fit in with a new manager (see above) or overall club philosophy.

No doubt come the end of the window we will make some signings. No doubt we will have another season loan move like Under and Lookman in the past. And probably there will be at least one out and one in, and it will require the dominos to start falling at the very end of the window. We've seen this before with Soyucnu, Drinkwater / Silva and Slimani in the past so it's not that impossible for it to happen.

But all that said, not selling or signing ANY players by the time the Community Shield starts is weird - there's no two ways about it! I am not panicked for the season, we still have a good team and decent squad. But something isn't right...

You always articulate what a lot of want to say in a sensible and rationale manner mate.

I would add that clearly the club expected more interest in the likes of Youri/Cags.

Which is why I sadly feel there is something in the Madders to Newcastle links, I’m not saying we sell him to Newcastle but if an offer of a certain amount comes in, we’re taking it PLUS with Madders and his chronic hip problems would it be deemed too risky to make him our highest paid player when he’s one injury away from being early season Madders forever?

15 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

There is always a sense of desperation on here when real football life turns out to be nothing like "Football Manager". This is real money we are talking about and ridiculous amounts of it.

We’ve sold nobody and bought nobody. That isn’t normal. People arnt expecting football manager levels of transfers, it’s obvious we need a couple of additions and that’s what’s causing the desperation. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, frany104 said:

We’ve sold nobody and bought nobody. That isn’t normal. People arnt expecting football manager levels of transfers, it’s obvious we need a couple of additions and that’s what’s causing the desperation. 

I wouldn't say we are desperate (well not all of us anyway!) But we are the only club in all of the top 5 leagues not to have made a single transfer in. The window still has time to run, but that is a very strange turn of events for our club.

1 minute ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

So if we sell a player to free up a squad place, which player and which position do we strengthen first?

Depends on who leaves really

Any of Kasper, Fofana, Maddison, or Barnes leave we need to replace them straight away (maybe not Kasper if we put faith in Iversen for a bit)

If it is someone like Vestergaard, Soumare, Praet etc. you go for a right winger

• Like 2

Anyone else not bothered if we make transfers in? I would rather we use the extra funds/wage bill to:

1. Reduce our wage bill/income ratio to a reasonable amount so we dont get into this situation again.

2. Consolidate our current squad by tying down on key players on improved contracts. Signing 1 player wont do much if we lose the likes of maddison on a free a couple years later.

• Like 2

The club is being perceived to be weak that is why the vultures are circling. They are all testing us. if the big boys start pecking away at our best players it’s gonna get really unnerving for the next few weeks!

not good for Rogers as he tries to prepare the squad. Doesn’t seem like we are getting anyone in. 

1 minute ago, cruzFOX said:

The club is being perceived to be weak that is why the vultures are circling. They are all testing us. if the big boys start pecking away at our best players it’s gonna get really unnerving for the next few weeks!

not good for Rogers as he tries to prepare the squad. Doesn’t seem like we are getting anyone in. 

No one who gets 80m for Maguire is weak.

We have always got good deals for our players Mahrez 65m, Chilwell 45m.