Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JimmyC74

Recruitment strategy under the spotlight 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I think this shows why Rodgers wouldn't be sacked anytime soon, unless we were in a relegation battle (which I highly doubt we will be). It would be a bit unjust from Top to sack him after saying that the squad would be improved when it obviously hasn't been. Doesn't mean BR can't do better with what he has, though. 

We are a team pushng to play a particular formation... one that we can only play with 1 player... if thats not a warning sign that you are going to be in a relegation battle I dont know what is. 

If we lose one of Vardy, JM or barnes for a significant period of time... we could be in huge trouble. 

27 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

That depends if you are about developing players or buying the finish article

Of course. We’re not buying the finished article as we can’t afford it. But young players with high ceilings should be our model and we have not been doing that. Look at a lot of the signings. They make no sense. 

1 minute ago, frany104 said:

Of course. We’re not buying the finished article as we can’t afford it. But young players with high ceilings should be our model and we have not been doing that. Look at a lot of the signings. They make no sense. 

Wes was one I guess, CDK would have been another. The Vestergaard and Bertrand are weird if understandble from a certain perspective, Perez less so, Praet, well? We do seem to have wondered off our standard path  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wes was one I guess, CDK would have been another. The Vestergaard and Bertrand are weird if understandble from a certain perspective, Perez less so, Praet, well? We do seem to have wondered off our standard path  :dunno:

Fofana and De Ketelaere were already players with a high profile and considerable value.The only player that we have signed recently who had passed under the radar is James Justin. We thought we had found two more with Daka and Soumare but they have yet to increase their value.

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

And if we keep them all fit for the season we've got a chance of fighting for Europe. Can easily go from one extreme to the other. 

I don't think we'll be anywhere near a relegation battle, tbh. We've got probably the 7th best starting 11 in the league, on paper. 

The problem is that we are relying on a player who has had several issues with his knees over the past few years to stay fit. Usually these types of injuries only get worse and not better and its been a real oversight by the club not to have recruited some decent wide players over the past few years. 

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

And if we keep them all fit for the season we've got a chance of fighting for Europe. Can easily go from one extreme to the other. 

I don't think we'll be anywhere near a relegation battle, tbh. We've got probably the 7th best starting 11 in the league, on paper. 

I think we’ve learnt over the last few seasons though that you do need a squad and not just an 11. Especially with the new 5 subs rule. 

Best case scenario is probably top 10 in my head at the moment. But i’m still hoping we make some good moves in the last few weeks to change that perception. 

The prem is a strange league, anyone can get sucked into that dog fight and i’ll never rule it out until points are on the board 

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Fofana and De Ketelaere were already players with a high profile and considerable value.The only player that we have signed recently who had passed under the radar is James Justin. We thought we had found two more with Daka and Soumare but they have yet to increase their value.

Don't disagree on their value, but they were players with massive potential, this is evident with the values being touted for Wes now. We don`t always have to buy bargains, just players with considerable upside

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Fofana didn't really have a big profile. Don't think he'd played for France u21 team before he'd signed for us? 

He cost over £30 million pounds , his potential was already known and St Etienne future proofed the deal with a sell on clause.  If we had picked him up for £10 million as an unsung teenager it would have been a coup. We will make money on him no doubt but it won't be a fortune.

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

Fofana

James Justin? Wasn't he bought under Rodgers?

Have we all written off Daka? He was never gpoing to immediately improve the first eleven due to Vardy.

They was yes and so was Castagne. 

But they have replaced Chilwell and Maguire in the line up Rodgers first took over which is below.

K Schmeichel
J Evans
W Morgan (c)
15 H Maguire
14 R Pereira 
21 Y Tielemans 
25 O Ndidi
B Chilwell
10 J Maddison
19 H Barnes 
J Vardy 

I'm not righting any players off but just saying players never seem to come in as a 'improvement' to the first 11. Just a replacement for someone leaving.

Edited by slymunn
Tidy up the formatting..which didn't work

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

That depends if you are about developing players or buying the finish article

You need to do both at times to push on. Cant always be a development team when you want to push for top 6/8 in the league.

There isn't many bought under Rodgers that have really developed in the 3 and a half years. 

3 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

image.thumb.png.e6a8da47f8da8d54e026361efe06fe37.png

Reading between the lines it's clear that Brendan got told he'd be able to at least make the odd signing or two... until he was told he couldn't even do that

It was probably conditional on getting into Europe imo which didn’t happen.

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Well we'd have know about qualifying for Europe at some point in May the latest, so that still wouldn't explain why it took our board all the way until pre-season to figure out we can't make signings

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

image.thumb.png.e6a8da47f8da8d54e026361efe06fe37.png

Reading between the lines it's clear that Brendan got told he'd be able to at least make the odd signing or two... until he was told he couldn't even do that

Well, if that doesn’t crack down your expectations a notch or 5, I’m not sure what will 

1 hour ago, slymunn said:

They was yes and so was Castagne. 

But they have replaced Chilwell and Maguire in the line up Rodgers first took over which is below.

K Schmeichel
J Evans
W Morgan (c)
15 H Maguire
14 R Pereira 
21 Y Tielemans 
25 O Ndidi
B Chilwell
10 J Maddison
19 H Barnes 
J Vardy 

I'm not righting any players off but just saying players never seem to come in as a 'improvement' to the first 11. Just a replacement for someone leaving.

Explained elsewhere why it's not easy to improve your first eleven.

53 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I wonder as well whether or not Glover being on gardening leave until September wasn’t expected, his not coming in preventing outgoing ability and thus signings also? That could be why up until the opening of the window transfer activity was expected.

1 minute ago, samarium62 said:

I wonder as well whether or not Glover being on gardening leave until September wasn’t expected, his not coming in preventing outgoing ability and thus signings also? That could be why up until the opening of the window transfer activity was expected.

Then again it was said that Congerton had already done the work for summer before he left for Italy, so Glover not being here shouldn't have been an issue

to me it seems more like the board dropped the ball a bit here

3 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Explained elsewhere why it's not easy to improve your first eleven.

I get that but in over 3 years most teams have managed to do so.

With the money spent you of thought that we would of signed a couple..or a right winger at least.

Edited by slymunn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I think this shows why Rodgers wouldn't be sacked anytime soon, unless we were in a relegation battle (which I highly doubt we will be). It would be a bit unjust from Top to sack him after saying that the squad would be improved when it obviously hasn't been. Doesn't mean BR can't do better with what he has, though. 

I'm now more convinced than ever that the club no longer view Rodgers as the man to take us forward. Even if that is the case, pur actions this summer don't make a huge amount of sense but anyway you pose what we might be up to makes little sense wither from our actions or going along with the narrative that we just need to move a handful of fringe players on.

I think we are in a horrible position where we don't want to have to pay him or, nor back him and hope we can keep our powder dry until next summer and hope along the way he leaves.

• Like 1