Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JimmyC74

Recruitment strategy under the spotlight 

I have just looked at the summer ins and outs on the Sportsmole website

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/transfer-talk/feature/premier-league-transfer-ins-and-outs-summer-2022_487093.html

Apart from clubs spending more, generally they are managing to ship out unwanted players.  Also, clubs are loaning out more players -   we seem to have been slow in this area.

Brighton's business looks impressive.

Guest Kopfkino
3 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

And if true, which I’m inclined to doubt

Of course it’s true, they haven’t just made it up have they? It’s not the hardest one for them to do.

Its the last decade, the year we went up we signed GTF, Hammond, Was and Kevin Phillips. The first year up we signed Cambiasso, Upson, Huth, and Schwarzer. Inler after that, Evans too. We also signed a whole host of 28/29 year olds over the years - Slimani, Silva, Iborra, Okazaki, Benalouane, Fuchs, now Vestergaard.

What I’ve found most frustrating down the years is we’ve not signed many young players to develop rather than put straight in the team and we’ve had basically no success with it (maybe you can say Soyuncu)

19 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Of course it’s true, they haven’t just made it up have they? It’s not the hardest one for them to do.

Its the last decade, the year we went up we signed GTF, Hammond, Was and Kevin Phillips. The first year up we signed Cambiasso, Upson, Huth, and Schwarzer. Inler after that, Evans too. We also signed a whole host of 28/29 year olds over the years - Slimani, Silva, Iborra, Okazaki, Benalouane, Fuchs, now Vestergaard.

What I’ve found most frustrating down the years is we’ve not signed many young players to develop rather than put straight in the team and we’ve had basically no success with it (maybe you can say Soyuncu)

Gray, Justin, Fofana, Kaputska, Benkovic, Sowah, Iheanacho. Mixed success.

Guest Kopfkino
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Gray, Justin, Fofana, Kaputska, Benkovic, Sowah, Iheanacho. Mixed success.

Gray, Fofana and Iheanacho were signed to go straight into the team. Couple in there I forgot about tho tbf, was thinking Lawrence, Benkovic and Diabate was all that came to mind.

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Fair points. I just don’t believe everything I read without scrutiny. 

Presumably our stats for the last 7/8 years would be better m?

i’m struggling to see how we can replace fofana when our manager is on borrowed time and we don’t have a head of recruitment… which means one thing… safety purchases that we consistently get wrong. We are going to be asking every single prem club who’s available on loan and we will get a square peg for a round hole. 

It would almost be negligent for us to spend big money on a player that the next manager might not rate. I’m very torn on what i think should happen but i’m fearful.

There’s also the illusion from outside of leicester, we appear on a downward spiral and i’m not convinced players we would previously of attracted will want it. 

The championship is probably the safest bet, but in terms of a cb… there’s not a name that springs to mind. 

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

i’m struggling to see how we can replace fofana when our manager is on borrowed time and we don’t have a head of recruitment… which means one thing… safety purchases that we consistently get wrong. We are going to be asking every single prem club who’s available on loan and we will get a square peg for a round hole. 

It would almost be negligent for us to spend big money on a player that the next manager might not rate. I’m very torn on what i think should happen but i’m fearful.

There’s also the illusion from outside of leicester, we appear on a downward spiral and i’m not convinced players we would previously of attracted will want it. 

The championship is probably the safest bet, but in terms of a cb… there’s not a name that springs to mind. 

Or we really take back control of our recruitment and sign a player who fits our profile and model ……and then Brendan still picks Evans and Amartey until he is shown the door 😂

The Athletic article today ‘What’s gone wrong at Leicester City” states that we are and never were at risk from FFP, it specifically states

Leicester have made losses of £120million over the past three years after recording profits for the previous four years but were not actually that close to breaking the Premier League’s financial fair play (FFP) rules.

So what does UEFA’s FFP rules mean to us? Presumably not much unless we qualify for Europe? Which would obviously be the aim 

3 hours ago, Sly said:

I do wonder, if we have agreements in place for the likes of Denayer, Zegadou, Xaka and Januzaj, whilst we clean out the rest of the squad. 

As in the really in form Arsenal midfielder? 

30 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The Athletic article today ‘What’s gone wrong at Leicester City” states that we are and never were at risk from FFP, it specifically states

So what does UEFA’s FFP rules mean to us? Presumably not much unless we qualify for Europe? Which would obviously be the aim 

Just too much smoke and mirrors around the club regarding FFP & whether we have any money. What is true though, is we thought the likes of Youri, Cags & Praet would leave, giving us +60M to spend. On top of that we would take offers on Vesty, Soumare & Hamza, hence talk of having 5/6 new players coming in. The reality is non bar Hamza have left and that was only a loan. To add to this, our scouting and recruitment seem to be overtaken by clubs like Palace. I dont think anybody knows what's really going on.

• Like 2

Feels as though we have 72 hours for sales. If nothing happens then what a truly dreadful incompetent bunch we have…

Had ages to sort Tielemans, he’s made it clear he wanted to leave. 
Same with Soyuncu

Soumare wants to go to Monaco, why not just accept the money and move on…

If Rodgers isn’t going to play Praet, should’ve sold, even if a low price.

Then there’s the sanctioning of Vestergaard and Bertrand… good god. 

What a mess, someone needs to be made accountable for this, not good enough for a premier league club who aspire to get back into Europe. 

Edited by TMELcfc
  • Like 2

Can’t help we’ve made a complete mess of this window. I appreciate the whole getting rid of players before get some in. So why haven’t we loaned players out when it’s evident we can’t get a sale. For example Fulham wanted Vestegaard but they didn’t meet his wage demands, so why didn’t we loan him and just pay a quarter of his wages?

• Like 3