Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JimmyC74

Recruitment strategy under the spotlight 

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, TommyK said:

We're not going to get relegated FFS. Even with the injuries we had last year we finished 8th. 

I don’t think we‘ll get relegated. I think we’ll end up somewhere between middle to upper league (I’ve gone 11th)

BUT don’t forget the sides around us have strengthened. We haven’t (yet)

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

As sick as it made me to say it, when my mate asked about how our summer was shaping up, I told him to consider a long shot relegation bet on us, if we don’t get some key deals over the line. 

Do i think we will, of course not. But do I think we could … yes. 

The premier league isn’t a league you can sit still for long in.  We clearly have a top squad but one that can be disjointed and relies on key areas working well.

The worry for me, is that our older stars perhaps drop off at the same time. if kasper, vardy and evans all have poor seasons we already significantly drop in quality.  

Then if we were to get 1 or 2 injuries (barnes, Mads or Fofana)  we could suddenly become a pretty soft team. 

If we don’t solve our defensive flaws we will be in a really difficult place. 

on paper the teams that have come up are going to be better than the ones that went down. 

I always keep the faith that the club know what they are doing behind the scenes. But just the thought of missing our top targets and scraping the barrel at the end of the window horrifies me. 

With such a shake up needed and one that’s proving to be harder than expected we need to get the next 2/3 deals absolutely correct! 

but then  other part of me, thinks that if our squad is healthy, we could push for top 5. A lot is yet to be seen and i’m hoping that Brendan can find a way to remind me we are a quality team and regain some optimism. Sevilla will be a really good indicator 

I don’t think we’ll get relegated under Rodgers next season but if the trend continues and we finish 3 places further back than last season it could be the start of an irreversible slide where we lose all our best players over 1-2 windows and struggle to replace them. 

We’ve got some huge windows coming up with contract expiries and retirements coming down the tracks. Ideally we need to start recruiting this window, unproven cheap players we can mould over a season or so, like James Justin. 

12 minutes ago, blue army 1988 said:

What do people believe the most; that Rodgers was talking about the refresh to keep fans happy or there is something gone on in the background that has stopped us from doing it?

...I  believe we are aware of the reasons behind our slow foray into the summer transfer market!!!

Wages to Revenue, squad size and the need to generate funds from sales.

Rodgers refresh was very much looking to change the squad as he found a lot of his players do not have the mindset of winners, where you can set aside previous achievements and look  to achieve them all over again. His thoughts (Rodgers) that some players may perceived winning the FA Cup as a pinnacle of their career, led him to say that we needed a shake up.

Has something happened behind closed doors to hamper any transfer dealings, I do not believe so, just the need to slowly unpick ans divest what we need and don't need, for the upcoming campaign.

Patience. I’m sure we will move 1 or 2 out, and if we retain the core of the first team and can replace the outgoings with better players we are in better shape than last season. Let other clubs do what they want. I’m not really bothered, it’s been proven time and time again that spending a load of money doesn’t guarantee anything in this league. Hopefully we won’t suffer true same injury problems this year, and no European football should keep our squad fresher than others that we want to be competing with in the league.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

We won't get relegated lol

If anything we will finish in the European places this Season. Teams in Europe will struggle with how quick the games come. 

We will sign players, money is there but we need to move out the fringe players who are on silly wages. I.e. Hamza. We can't afford to have loads of players outside the 25 man squad

Trust the club to do the right thing like they’ve done all these years. I’m glad they don’t read of likes of Foxestalk and twitter and change their strategy based on the few overly emotional fans, who’s unrealistic expectations created by the club’s good decisions and subsequent success. I would like those signings to come but we have a good team as it stands. Rogers need to sort set piece defending though  …

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  believe we are aware of the reasons behind our slow foray into the summer transfer market!!!

Wages to Revenue, squad size and the need to generate funds from sales.

Rodgers refresh was very much looking to change the squad as he found a lot of his players do not have the mindset of winners, where you can set aside previous achievements and look  to achieve them all over again. His thoughts (Rodgers) that some players may perceived winning the FA Cup as a pinnacle of their career, led him to say that we needed a shake up.

Has something happened behind closed doors to hamper any transfer dealings, I do not believe so, just the need to slowly unpick ans divest what we need and don't need, for the upcoming campaign.

Totally agree.

I’m so torn on the whole Rodgers comments over the years - his definition of winners in recent windows has been Bertrand (bit part player at Chelsea over 10 years ago) and Soumare who did win the league in France but seems to have his own personal issues and doesn’t scream winning mentality/work ethic.

I consider a winners mentality someone that encourages others through their own performances/leadership quality - think Henderson in current times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I, like most i guess search the net like crazy for any updates

Standing back though and taking holistic view of the situation I could list dozens of reasons why the board are not going to write a blank. or any other type of cheque 

I'm exactly the same.  Every morning scouring the internet.  It's emotive and we all want to get excited by a new signing or two.  The talk of a refresh,

rebuild or whatever didn't help with expectations.  We all know Rodgers was talking transfers not a refresh of mentality.  

But from the point of view of club stability I'd rather see us get some cash for players like Cags and Youri, Praet etc on the last year of their contracts, if as seems likely they won't extend/want to leave. That surely is the priority along with reducing the wage bill.  We have to trust the club know what they are doing.  

If that means we are treading water for a season before a proper refresh then so be it.  We aren't getting relegated and we'll still have a squad plenty good enough for the Prem.  We cannot afford another poor transfer window.  

The only position I see as critical is another CB because in the likely event of Evans picking up an injury our cover at the back is not good enough.  For a team that builds from the back I think it is critical the more creative players have confidence in the decision making of the defenders.  Also a creative MF if Youri leaves.  

• Like 1

If a team that won the PL can nearly get themselves relegated the season after, then this lot could have a damn good stab at it an'all, but it's also as much likely as it is us finishing top 4. In fact actually it's even less likely based on what this lot have achieved, but there is always that fear we are a club that do things to the extreme.

We showed a real flavour foe capitulation and sheer mental weakness last season, if we don't arrest that then maybe it could get worse. Without any signings it seems an alarming situation to be in, that we can surely all agree on.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If a team that won the PL can nearly get themselves relegated the season after, then this lot could have a damn good stab at it an'all, but it's also as much likely as it is us finishing top 4. In fact actually it's even less likely based on what this lot have achieved, but there is always that fear we are a club that do things to the extreme.

We showed a real flavour foe capitulation and sheer mental weakness last season, if we don't arrest that then maybe it could get worse. Without any signings it seems an alarming situation to be in, that we can surely all agree on.

I agree we need signings and I'm sure they will come. We don't have the space for signings at the minute. We need to move players on.

I'm not that alarmed, as with the current squad without any signings our starting 11 is as good as Anyone outside of 4 or 5 clubs. We need players no doubt but i'm sure we'll be fine. (I hope :ph34r:)

8 minutes ago, teblin said:

I agree we need signings and I'm sure they will come. We don't have the space for signings at the minute. We need to move players on.

I'm not that alarmed, as with the current squad without any signings our starting 11 is as good as Anyone outside of 4 or 5 clubs. We need players no doubt but i'm sure we'll be fine. (I hope :ph34r:)

I am. 

The squad that we currently have is worse than last season as Lookman was often a contender to start and we have, at present, lost his services. Theoretically, at least, we won’t achieve any more than we did last season without improving our options, which could get worse with the sale of Tielemans. 

The optimist in me says that we might have more consistency if we start the season with fewer injuries, but I’m nervous about how stale the squad looks. Recruitment isn’t just about bringing better players in, but the healthy ‘shake up’ that it gives to the existing personnel. There are quite a few who have uncertain futures with us and new players would give everyone a psychological lift and guard against complacency - or even apathy for those running down their contracts. 

I just hope that someone has a plan here or that whatever needs to happen to unlock everything happens soon. I fear a difficult season unless things change very soon. 

Trying to look on the positive side maybe the likes of Ben Nelson can step up and provide competition to Evans. 

we definitely need a creative RW - preferably on a permanent deal but maybe we are looking at the loan to buy market and this is the reason behind the delay.

Hopefully Rudkin earns his keep and over the coming days delivers on getting a few out the door to make space for some incomings.

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

If anything we will finish in the European places this Season. Teams in Europe will struggle with how quick the games come. 

We will sign players, money is there but we need to move out the fringe players who are on silly wages. I.e. Hamza. We can't afford to have loads of players outside the 25 man squad

Will this issue of silly wages carry on though? Its been building slowly over the past 5 years with plenty of chances to get it under control but its now starting to get a bit out of hand. 

Its something the club needs a reset on over the coming years.

Just now, Dames said:

Will this issue of silly wages carry on though? Its been building slowly over the past 5 years with plenty of chances to get it under control but its now starting to get a bit out of hand. 

Its something the club needs a reset on over the coming years.

If we can't do it this summer, it will sort itself out quite a bit next summer as the contracts of quite a few of these players we are trying to get rid of now end next summer

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

If we can't do it this summer, it will sort itself out quite a bit next summer as the contracts of quite a few of these players we are trying to get rid of now end next summer

We need to be careful tho, if we don’t compete this year and regress we could lose one of Fofana and Madders who are our real elite assets with a tangible value. Madders is at main risk with 2 yrs left of his contract and hopefully we can extend this year.

Edited by JimmyC74

17 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

True but will the club keep offering silly contracts to players that are deemed rotation/backup? Thats the big q.

I’m very surprised that a 15 million fee and 75k pw for Vestergaard didnt set alarm bells off considering he was only always mean to be a stop gap. 

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

I doubt we will sell any players tbf

11 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I think we're heading towards big trouble.  Nothing happens by the end of next week and we are.

chill
We want a CB we want Colwill apparently, Chelsea were not going to offer him up until replacements in now they look to have 3 with a possible 3rd being Presnel Kimpbembe i'd imagine we will see some talk on this soon.
We want a midfielder to replace Youri but Youri hasn't left so we are not going to replace until we know its certain he will go, be rather foolish to spend 30m to find out he's not actually required just yet.
We need a RW but probably looking to use money we make from Cags (if believed he's off) but we can't spend that until we have a buyer for Cags we also don't sell until we have his replacement lined up which is believed to be Colwill - & the circle continues

The 2nd midfielder we want could come from sales of Hamza, Mendy & Praet these granted seem to be taking a while to progress but in the case of Praet Torino say they want him but don't want to pay for him, its probably the same with Hamza WBA want him but again don't want to pay, should we just pull our trousers down?

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1