Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluebazooka

George Hirst

22 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

If they generate 10m in sales next summer (as per reported buy options) will you still be saying it makes no sense?

But if we need money and moreover need space on the wage bill then why take the risk? We know they aren't going to be worldbeaters, just get rid surely?

Guest Kopfkino
13 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

And if it doesn’t, he’s shit at Blackburn and Hamza at Watford, and we’re lumbered with paying 60k pw to two championship standard players for the next three years what then?

A possible outcome doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense. It makes sense to try to protect your asset values.

It doesn’t make any sense to run a business and just write off assets and then expect to be able to finance purchasing new ones. It would make no sense if it was Bertrand rather than two players still of a good age going to play at their level.

Fans can’t have it every which way. You see people whinging all the time about not being able to get money for our fringe players or how do Liverpool manage to sell unwanted players for so much. Well you can’t even begin to contemplate doing that if you don’t try to protect their values and worry about their potential cost.

Depending on whether we have a pure cash problem or just an accounting problem, 10m for those two potentially turns into a 20m player next season if it’s just an accounting issue.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

But if we need money and moreover need space on the wage bill then why take the risk? We know they aren't going to be worldbeaters, just get rid surely?

Because two clubs have agreed to pay us a fee for either if they do well and they want them. Presumably they’re playing at a level that everyone thinks they’re suited to and that’s a possibility. 

Why does the wholly risk averse approach and worrying about them being shit have to win out? Every transfer decision has risk so what point do we stop worrying about the risk? Fofana could have been a 35m player that didn’t adapt to the PL.

If you’ve got no money, you need more revenue streams - players playing and hopefully proving their value can help with that.  They don’t need to be worldbeaters they just need to show value at their level.

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

With Him under contract till 2025 I wonder if he will get a chance ? 

Take whatever Ipswich offer imo

Struggled in the Championship, although I will admit he didn't really get too many chances or starts, but even in League One it takes him a while to get going

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

On 01/09/2022 at 15:32, An Sionnach said:

When revert to a big central striker , and we will, he may still have a future with us.

No he doesn't , he will be gone,gone, gone. Arguably the most disastrous decision he will ever make coming to us. 

Just now, moore_94 said:

Take whatever Ipswich offer imo

Struggled in the Championship and even in League One it takes him a while to get going

It depends on our situation up front. If we want him as a starter, he will come good and score goals... it will be one that might hurt us watching him do it for Ipswich. 

If he is expected to come off the bench after vardy has run out of steam thenid suspect that he wont get into games and would be bad to have around.  I think the talent is at a championship level and is a skillset we dont have with his aerial strength. 

If we bring in a manager who likes 2 up top, I could really see him linking up well with Vardy, Daka or Kel. Because his strength and hold up play is decent.  But... in all honesty, if its possible... I think Opoku would be even better. 

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It depends on our situation up front. If we want him as a starter, he will come good and score goals... it will be one that might hurt us watching him do it for Ipswich. 

If he is expected to come off the bench after vardy has run out of steam thenid suspect that he wont get into games and would be bad to have around.  I think the talent is at a championship level and is a skillset we dont have with his aerial strength. 

If we bring in a manager who likes 2 up top, I could really see him linking up well with Vardy, Daka or Kel. Because his strength and hold up play is decent.  But... in all honesty, if its possible... I think Opoku would be even better. 

The problem is it would probably take him about 10 games before he started contributing consistently if his seasons with Portsmouth and Ipswich in League One are anything to go by

For a side that will probably be looking to chase promotion we shouldn't be carrying someone like that along just in the hope he starts scoring

At most the only reason I could possibly see us keeping him is if it was to be a Plan B off the bench for the last 20 minutes in games, but then that is what he was used for at Rotherham and Blackburn in the Championship and he didn't do anything for either of them

15 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

With Him under contract till 2025 I wonder if he will get a chance ? 

im fairly sure we will see 2-3 of the development  promoted to the first team squad, I was just hoping one of them wasn’t him 😃

Any news on how Alves and Braybrooke are progressing? Are they likely to be ready for next season?

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

The problem is it would probably take him about 10 games before he started contributing consistently if his seasons with Portsmouth and Ipswich in League One are anything to go by

For a side that will probably be looking to chase promotion we shouldn't be carrying someone like that along just in the hope he starts scoring

At most the only reason I could possibly see us keeping him is if it was to be a Plan B off the bench for the last 20 minutes in games, but then that is what he was used for at Rotherham and Blackburn in the Championship and he didn't do anything for either of them

He is absolutely not the guy for a last 20 min save the day job. As mentioned thats what his last clubs tried with no success at all. 

Im not sure he necessarily needs 10 games, he just needs to be put in from the start and shown trust and support from his manager.  At Blackburn he, was in and out which is why it never worked for him. 

At Ipswich, after the first time he got back to back games... he started scoring.  Essentially, a manager who will let him have the first 3 games would probably get him firing. If he's had a full pre-season with us he might even start on form. So as I said earlier, if he was alongside someone else who would also be contributing goals, he would have a bit of time to adjust to our play. 

I think its fair to remember, he missed most of pre-season last year and the Blackburn manager even publicly stated he arrived out of fitness, it was always going to be hard for him to catch up and take the spot.  

I think if he is scoring or looking good in pre-season, then we should consider the move from there.  The thing is, im not sure its just a purple patch either, when he gets going, he doesnt start to slow down. At Portsmouth, Ipswich and even in PL2 for us, he became unstoppable.  I have this little feeling that we will sell him for 1mil and he'll be in the top 5 scorers next year. 

Edited by Lambert09

Honestly just don't see the point, if he's happy to rot on the bench and come on for 10 mins every so often then sure, but he's an unproven player at Championship level, and scored 6 goals in league 1. He offers a bit of height I guess, but Daka will score far more goals than Hirst will in the championship, and if we gave him a chance and we got promoted, he would never get a game anyway. He's a League 1/Lower championship player and I fully believe we will be fighting at the top end of the table if we get the right manager in. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MPH said:

im fairly sure we will see 2-3 of the development  promoted to the first team squad, I was just hoping one of them wasn’t him 😃

Any news on how Alves and Braybrooke are progressing? Are they likely to be ready for next season?

So you would take two players that have had massive injuries, made 0 appearances in men’s football over someone who has played fairly regularly over last 2 seasons?

we don’t know if Braybrooke and Alves will be as good as they were for the u’23’s let alone in a championship team.. none of us have really seen if they will cut it as pro’s.

at least Hirst has some sort of track record. 

1 hour ago, Fansincethe80s said:

So you would take two players that have had massive injuries, made 0 appearances in men’s football over someone who has played fairly regularly over last 2 seasons?

we don’t know if Braybrooke and Alves will be as good as they were for the u’23’s let alone in a championship team.. none of us have really seen if they will cut it as pro’s.

at least Hirst has some sort of track record. 

what I’m saying is that Top et all will hope to not have to replace every player who is leaving yet will want yo lower the wage bill and promoting development squad players is one way of doing that.