Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesTez

Matt O'Riley

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

@Muzzy_Larssonyour presence is required!

Only been with us for 6 months but he's slotted in seamlessly, lovely player, technically great and a joy to watch, chips in with goals and assists too. He's only 21 so going to get better and can see him moving on from us for big money. Hopefully that's in a couple of years time though, would be amazed if he moved this window as we have champions league football to look forward to and with Rogic now having left he'll be the main man in the sorta number 10 position for us. Seems to have his head screwed on in that sense, he knocked back a new deal from Fulham to go to MK Dons to play regular football so I think he'll see his short term future here because we can offer that and it'll be best for his development to play regularly for the next year or two, doubt he'd have that guarantee at any EPL clubs just yet. Apparently it was a big boo boo for English clubs to have missed him as in terms of stats he was a no brainer, albeit at league 1 level at the time we signed him. Hopefully he breaks into the full Denmark squad soon and that'll increase his value even more.

May or may not be something in it as Rodgers was at two of our games in the flesh last season.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Tidy in possession, has good feet. 

Started well with Celtic but think he may have fallen out the team, not sure if this is because of injuries. 

Last sentence is entirely not true, he was rotated with Rogic since he arrived and if anything finished the season stronger and showed his best form then.

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Last sentence is entirely not true, he was rotated with Rogic since he arrived and if anything finished the season stronger and showed his best form then.

Fair enough, thought he hit the ground running well in his first two games.

Edited by SemperEadem

1 minute ago, SemperEadem said:

Fair enough, thought he hit the ground running well in his first two games.

He did but we had loads on injuries in midfield then so he was sort of flung in at the deep end and did very well. In those first few games he suffered with cramp as he wasn't used to the intensity we play at. The plan was always to rotate him with Rogic and that's what happened most of the season after that until the final clutch of games where O'Riley made the position his own and done very well. I don't know where folk are coming from with stuff about injuries and him being a crock, that's just made up lol 

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He did but we had loads on injuries in midfield then so he was sort of flung in at the deep end and did very well. In those first few games he suffered with cramp as he wasn't used to the intensity we play at. The plan was always to rotate him with Rogic and that's what happened most of the season after that until the final clutch of games where O'Riley made the position his own and done very well. I don't know where folk are coming from with stuff about injuries and him being a crock, that's just made up lol 

Honestly, I genuinely think what happened is that because he's an unknown quality and a young player he got assigned a bunch of randomly generated stats on Football Manager which is normal. 

ARM1968's son played a game of Football Manager where he was randomly assigned a high "injury proneness" (an actual 1 - 20 hidden attribute given to all players in the FM database), he scouted him and his scouts said he was likely to get injured in the game based off an RNG value. 

ARM1968 saw the name in transfer talk, asked his son if he's any good, his son said he's shit and he's always injured, ARM1968 passed this off as genuine knowledge on foxestalk and now everyone that doesn't want us to sign this guy because A. they've never heard of him and B. he's from Celtic has latched on to it and keeps repeating it. 

It's basically Internet misinformation 101.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jv1 said:

Sensible balanced article about our current situation

And I am going to replicate its style.

By posting single sentence paragraphs.

Having each on a new line.

Some short sentences.

And some longer ones too, with commas. 

Is it the sub-editor's day off?

But yes, all patently true and from the sidelines, near enough apparent.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The Soumare signing last summer was absolutely baffling. The RW slot was our priority (still is) and had been since 2018, yet Soumare was essentially our number one target when we already had three very good first choice midfielders. It was a signing we didn't have to make at all, as KDH's emergence proved.

Granted, we perhaps did need a midfielder but the profile the club wanted just didn't match up with Soumare's at all. Rodgers spoke about turning him into a box-to-box goalscorer when he's scored a solitary league goal in his career. He also mentioned his physicality, he's certainly big but his 20/21 stats show he's a high volume passer and ball carrier, not a an aggressive and physical player -  his defensive stats are shoddy (aside from interceptions).

We've spent £18m on him and probably between £3-4m on wages too, it was an unforced error. You can make similar arguments about Vestergaard, there was a need for a CB after Fofana's injury but did we have to spend £15m on a PL player in his late 20s? Absolutely not, weld have been no worse, actually lots better off loaning any number of average CBs.

The trouble with selling before buying it hinges very late on in the window when players are more expensive, harder to sign and don't have the same bedding in period.

Not sure who reputable but I read on the BBC gossip this morning Monaco were linked with a £15m move for him. Got to be all over that if true.

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Not sure who reputable but I read on the BBC gossip this morning Monaco were linked with a £15m move for him. Got to be all over that if true.

Definitely. we'll want to hold out for as much as possible but as all of our transfer business is contingent on selling I think we should take £15m and run rather than waste days quibbling over £2 or 3m

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

And as far O'Riley he looks a talent but Callum Wright is a similar player and obviously already at the club.

O'Riley scored 7, set 5 up in 26 League 1 games for MK Dons

Wright scored 9, set 4 up in 29 League 1 games for Cheltenham

I think O'Reilly has the better passing range which is more helpful as a midfielder when moving up the footballing pyramid than goal scoring ability.

Dont think he would come to us if tielemans stays though, his whole stick was that he left Fulham for game time, he also turned us down as a free agent to go to a lower league side for game time 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Definitely. we'll want to hold out for as much as possible but as all of our transfer business is contingent on selling I think we should take £15m and run rather than waste days quibbling over £2 or 3m

I'm sure (some at) the club are starting to think this way. If it's accepted that there needs to be a 'refresh' of players (and that's not to be achieved with colonic irrigation to those we currently do have) then we have to be thinking of 'short term pains for long term gains'

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Agreed. Although I thought so far they’ve only offered €15mil not £. Therefore I imagine we’re holding out for €20mil which would be closer to £15/17m more or less making our money back on him. And we know they’ve got the money having sold Tchouameni

22 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Agreed. Although I thought so far they’ve only offered €15mil not £. Therefore I imagine we’re holding out for €20mil which would be closer to £15/17m more or less making our money back on him. And we know they’ve got the money having sold Tchouameni

17.6m Euros is £15m so yeah they're a bit out and we know they have the funds but at this stage time is of the essence, we could potentially hold out for a lot more money bit it's going to take too long.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

I don't think many dispute the situation we're in and it's a good explanation of it from Percy, it's more this attitude that it was unavoidable when it clearly wasn't. If we learn lessons then fine but we've been here before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Of the three in terms of his strengths, style and the positions he takes up most definitely most similar to Maddison.

I could see us slotting him into RW. 

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Yeah. He’s made of glass apparently with little threads of bone running through him. Slight breeze and he shatters. Wait and see 🤣

This is exactly why we want him.

14 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't think many dispute the situation we're in and it's a good explanation of it from Percy, it's more this attitude that it was unavoidable when it clearly wasn't. If we learn lessons then fine but we've been here before.

With Congerton gone it would hopefully be a sign that club admit the mistakes of the signing the likes of Vesty and Bertrand. Two players that should never have been recommended and then signed off by the club. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I would be amazed if he left us this summer but even if he did that wouldn't be wise, he's not really a wide player at all.

I agree. He's clearly not a wide player but correct me if I'm wrong, he does seem to drift into wide right positions to utilise his left foot? 

From what I recall, he seems to create a fair bit from that part of the pitch. 

Edited by Scotch