Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesTez

Matt O'Riley

Guest Col city fan
12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You know we aren't Man City and pump £40m on every player don't you? And if you come back and say, you don't have to spend money to buy quality... you have to spend money to buy proven quality. Otherwise you are gambling and they MIGHT not be better than the starting 11. 

I agree with people like Ward, it was nonsensical, so was Vest' when he manager isn't going to adapt his style to fit him in. But, we got screwed by the injury and we just don't know what was available at the time. 4

Don’t the figures at Man City show that they generally get it spot on with the financial aspect of transfers? I’m sure I read they’ve got Haaland and the fella from Leeds this summer and have actually made a net profit in terms of transfers in/out?

They seem to delve into the market exceptionally well, given the sums of dosh involved and often sell at a profit?

Or have I just made that up?

😂

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Don’t the figures at Man City show that they generally get it spot on with the financial aspect of transfers? I’m sure I read they’ve got Haaland and the fella from Leeds this summer and have actually made a net profit in terms of transfers in/out?

They seem to delve into the market exceptionally well, given the sums of dosh involved and often sell at a profit?

😂

Being able to spend and pay more than most clubs and being basically guaranteed to win things helps. Consistency in manager is massive, so having the best helps the most. Basket cases like Man U forever changing managers and direction means you just end up wasting money over and over again. 

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

😂

That's because Man City can add x amount to anyone sold, solely because they play for Man City. Much like Liverpool seem to do.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

You know we aren't Man City and pump £40m on every player don't you? And if you come back and say, you don't have to spend money to buy quality... you have to spend money to buy proven quality. Otherwise you are gambling and they MIGHT not be better than the starting 11. 

I agree with people like Ward, it was nonsensical, so was Vest' when he manager isn't going to adapt his style to fit him in. But, we got screwed by the injury and we just don't know what was available at the time. 4

Yes, obviously. Otherwise I think you agree anyway? Someone like Colwill has the scope to improve our first team and could push Evans down the pecking order. Bednarek obviously won't. It's hedging your bets, buying players with upside. We've not done it very well in recent windows. Soumare I can forgive more because he had the potential to be a first choice player based on many things but has turned out miles off it - and what do you know, another club appear to retain some of that faith in him and we're gonna end up getting our money back. Buying players like Vestergaard, Ward etc... is just dead money that's stopped us buying better first choice.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

AI transfer policy and player selection has been dreadful in the FM series for twenty odd years. Its comfortably the worst thing about the game and never seems to have been addressed. I'd say its probably a big part of what keeps me from playing these days. 

It's just way too easy to quickly assemble and maintain a near perfect squad while the AI flounders around signing muck. 

It is way too easy to surpass others on it I agree. I've found this years particularly easy. I don't feel like I have to do anything special to fly up the leagues.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yes, obviously. Otherwise I think you agree anyway? Someone like Colwill has the scope to improve our first team and could push Evans down the pecking order. Bednarek obviously won't. It's hedging your bets, buying players with upside. We've not done it very well in recent windows. Soumare I can forgive more because he had the potential to be a first choice player based on many things but has turned out miles off it - and what do you know, another club appear to retain some of that faith in him and we're gonna end up getting our money back. Buying players like Vestergaard, Ward etc... is just dead money that's stopped us buying better first choice.

I do partly agree, but you can’t always buy young players. Bertrand for instance fit exactly what we need at the time, the questionable part is contract length really. 

Sometimes it’s clear you need something else at that moment. 

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Being able to spend and pay more than most clubs and being basically guaranteed to win things helps. Consistency in manager is massive, so having the best helps the most. Basket cases like Man U forever changing managers and direction means you just end up wasting money over and over again. 

The point I’m trying to make is that this can be done correctly even when the sums of money are much bigger.

Man City are no Barcelona. It’s very rare that they push the boat out and sign crap. Like Barcelona did with Coutinho or Dembele

And when they sell players, it’s very rarely at a loss (or a big loss).

Man City have pots of dosh, yes, but their recruitment strategy is very well thought out.

Leicester’s has become very poor imo.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

😂

It helps to be mega rich and successful and not abide by any rules to get there

He's only just signed for Celtic 6 months ago, and Brendan wants him here 🙄. Maybe Brendan could have told his pal Congerton last year to look at him when he was at MK Dons.

These are the type of players old school Steve Walsh with his book of contacts would have signed for peanuts.

Celtic bought him this year for 1.5m and watch Brendan wanting to splash 20m on him, by the way he probably is decent up and coming player!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The point I’m trying to make is that this can be done correctly even when the sums of money are much bigger.

Man City are no Barcelona. It’s very rare that they push the boat out and sign crap. Like Barcelona did with Coutinho or Dembele

And when they sell players, it’s very rarely at a loss (or a big loss).

Man City have pots of dosh, yes, but their recruitment strategy is very well thought out.

Leicester’s has become very poor imo.

Grealish and Ake for £140m? Mendy, Danilo, Bravo, Nolito, Otamendi, Delph?

Pehaps you forget the dross as they don’t hang about for season after season. They just spend another £50m to replace them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Think that's down playing it a little to be fair, Al Mubarak - for whatever people think of their ethics - is an exceptional businessman. That and Txiki Begiristain is quite frankly a genius. 

Lots of clubs have shit loads of cash and still do absolutely terrible business. Look at how woefully imbalanced PSG's squad always is, how directionless United are in the market, even Juventus are prone to make howlers signing on reputation alone for a couple decades. 

And then you get to the absolute horror shows at the big two in Spain. What the absolute fvck are Barcelona playing at for Christ sakes. 

Man City are near faultless in the transfer market and its no mean feat. They might be playing with the money cheats on but they don't act like it. Give credit where its due. 

• Like 2

Celtic have also just signed Aaron Mooy so there’s likely less spots in midfield up for grabs.

Postecoglou loves Mooy from his Socceroos days where he was the best player on the park most games.

Guest Col city fan
27 minutes ago, ACF said:

Celtic have also just signed Aaron Mooy so there’s likely less spots in midfield up for grabs.

Postecoglou loves Mooy from his Socceroos days where he was the best player on the park most games.

Always used to be the Aussie skipper as well I think? Don’t know if he is anymore

Mooy is ok.. used to be very promising but is now very average.

As you say, Postecoglu loves him 

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Always used to be the Aussie skipper as well I think? Don’t know if he is anymore

Mooy is ok.. used to be very promising but is now very average.

As you say, Postecoglu loves him 

Not quite captaining but definitely seen as a leader.

Moved to Shanghai as the wages that were offered were life changing for him, way more than Brighton were going to pay. The times he was “promising” at Huddersfield, he was already 25!

The bloke can barely spell his own name, shocking with interviews, is a proper family man who just likes playing football. He is absolutely beloved here in Melbourne, he’s definitely lost a step but confident Ange will get the best out of him pre World Cup.

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, ACF said:

Not quite captaining but definitely seen as a leader.

Moved to Shanghai as the wages that were offered were life changing for him, way more than Brighton were going to pay. The times he was “promising” at Huddersfield, he was already 25!

The bloke can barely spell his own name, shocking with interviews, is a proper family man who just likes playing football. He is absolutely beloved here in Melbourne, he’s definitely lost a step but confident Ange will get the best out of him pre World Cup.

I always thought he looked at his best when he played for Melbourne City (I think?) when he absolutely ran the show at times. 

One of the best Aussie players in some time I guess?

9 hours ago, ACF said:

Mooy is so slow he makes Tielemans look rapid. 

He’s very similar in skill set to CDK, we missed the boat on CDK but we still have a chance with O’Riley. He’s the utility player that Brendan wants to replace Perez, can play anywhere (including this inside forward role that Brendan loves). If we can shift Perez, we’ll make a play for O’Riley. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

He’s very similar in skill set to CDK, we missed the boat on CDK but we still have a chance with O’Riley. He’s the utility player that Brendan wants to replace Perez, can play anywhere (including this inside forward role that Brendan loves). If we can shift Perez, we’ll make a play for O’Riley. 

I think you're right!