Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
trugerkem

First game attended

23 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Boxing Day 1994. Aged 9. Liverpool at Filbert Street. We lost 2-1. I was hooked.

Steve Thompson hit the post with a penalty and scored the rebound which was subsequently disallowed as no other player had touched the ball.  Remember his head dropping quite badly after that and he was gone soon after.

First Filbert Street 'sneak in' West Ham at home March 1984 in Gordon Milne era in the old first division/top flight, we won 4-1! First official v Ipswich in the old second division/tier in September 1987 towards the end of Bryan Hamilton's brief tenure. Steve Moran scored for us, Jason Dozzell for Ipswich. 

As a young lad I went to see Leicester v Liverpool in 1986. I’m ashamed to say I was supporting Liverpool. We (Leicester) won 2-1. 

I soon realised the error of my ways, starting following my local team and by the late eighties/early nineties I was going home and away 

3-1 home win over Swindon 1970.

Basically an afternoon that changed my life.

This 10 year old had never seen a crowd so huge & was instantly hooked on cheering on the blue boys. The memory of excitement, atmosphere & sheer size of the whole occasion of your first match never leaves you.

• Like 2

Christmas 1993, sat in the new Carling Stand just after it's completion to watch a 4 - 4 draw with Watford.

Steve Agnew is on the programme cover and I'm pretty sure it's got a full page spread in it somewhere of the old caricatures they used to have in the programme but it's the whole squad building the stadium. Ormondroyd is a crane and he's using his nose to lift steel girders up to the top deck I think. Magic.

I've spent my whole life convinced that was boxing day but it was apparently the 27th, I've no idea why.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Christmas 1993, sat in the new Carling Stand just after it's completion to watch a 4 - 4 draw with Watford.

Steve Agnew is on the programme cover and I'm pretty sure it's got a full page spread in it somewhere of the old caricatures they used to have in the programme but it's the whole squad building the stadium. Ormondroyd is a crane and he's using his nose to lift steel girders up to the top deck I think. Magic.

I've spent my whole life convinced that was boxing day but it was apparently the 27th, I've no idea why.

We played Derby away the very next day too. Pretty sure that was the last time matches were played in successive days.

• Like 1

I started physically watching the team in Jock Wallace's first season 79-80, so the first game must have been Watford at home August 79, but I really can't remember the game. A little shocked by the "Millwall will die" grafitti on the wall, but realised it was a bit of bravado.

Of course I'd followed City before that, watching the games against Villa and West Brom on Star Soccer.