Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
coolhandfox

Set Piece Coach

On 04/10/2022 at 12:57, StriderHiryu said:

It was notable that there was already an improvement in this area. Defensively a few times you could see how much concentration out-field players were putting in. For Maddison's goal, it was clear the entire wall shifted as he hit it to make extra space for him. Pretty clever, even though the finish was so good it didn't really matter. 

Seems like a good appointment so far, and could be a huge difference maker come the end of the season. We score enough goals, if we didn't concede such stupid ones we won't be battling the drop.

The coach is called Lars Knudsen. Seems like a good pick-up!

I wonder if he could step up as Acting Manager when Brendan goes. The recent uptick in form is down to him after all.

Just now, Hales said:

Definitely making a difference! More organised, the players immediately know where to position themselves and I don't feel sick every time we face a corner! 😉

I feel more confident we are going to handle such situations, and also feel we can create from our own too. Certainly the most solid we have been for a while 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hales said:

Definitely making a difference! More organised, the players immediately know where to position themselves and I don't feel sick every time we face a corner! 😉

You can clearly see that we have more aggression, you see each and everyone one of our players getting hands on with the opposition players, pushing them before balls come in. Before we were far too soft physically and didn’t compete, been so much better since this coach came in 👏🏻

• Like 4

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

I feel more confident we are going to handle such situations, and also feel we can create from our own too. Certainly the most solid we have been for a while 

I would love to see someone else on corners than Madders though.

No idea why but he struggles fizzing a decent ball in, either not beating the first man or just a back post floater.

But most importantly, defensively as you said, we look so much more solid and hungry to not just win the first but also second ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SafewayFox said:

No idea why but he struggles fizzing a decent ball in, either not beating the first man or just a back post floater.

But most importantly, defensively as you said, we look so much more solid and hungry to not just win the first but also second ball.

Interestingly others have stepped up - Youri and also Praet.  Makes it not so predictable. You can clearly see they are working hard in training

Edited by Hales

2 minutes ago, Hales said:

Interestingly others have stepped up - Youri and also Praet.  Makes it not so predictable. You can clearly see they are working hard in training

Good point to be fair but feel whenever Madders is on the pitch, he automatically takes corners and his are below average IMO.

I did like the Youri corner but think that’s down to Youri’s technique more than anything.

Credit, where credit is due and most importantly defensively we have improved ten fold.

We look better defensively generally, not just set pieces. I think we can probably attribute some of that to Knudsen. He’s managed all of Denmark’s youth age groups and he was a (non-set piece) coach at Midtjylland so he’s experienced - he’ll be involved in tactical meetings and general coaching so it’s quite likely his input has made the difference defensively 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Maybe he's been instructed to, it seems to me putting them there reduces the risk of a counter attack so could be a temporary pragmatic decision until we get better at trying to gain from our corners or he he could just be poor.

Our defending generally has noticeably improved. I wonder if the appointment of a 'set piece' coach has in itself woken some up to the fact that defending is to be taken seriously, every bit as seriously as our tricky pass and move attacking drills.

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

It also coincided with the arrival of Faes. 

True true. He's not backward in coming forward, unafraid to bark out his orders. He likes to take the lead, take control. Seems to work when Evans is on the pitch too, maybe they have an accord of some sort!

The remarkable improvement cannot be a coincidence. The effect he's had is boderi g on the staggering. 

Shout out to Ward too. We haven't had a keeper come for a corner for over 10 years now (qnd when I say come, I actually mean in a 4m2 zone within the 6 yard box. An area where a keeper should treat it as meat and drink)  Ward.does the well.  Kasper had a.complete blind spot about this glaring weakness

statistically, the space about two feet or so behind the front man is the best place to aim a corner. it's an incredibly hard technique to get the ball over their head with pace and enough dip that its headable just behind them. so many corner takers struggle to beat the first man because they're trying to take the "perfect" corner

Edited by blaaklint
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1