Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
coolhandfox

Set Piece Coach

On 30/10/2022 at 14:10, blaaklint said:

statistically, the space about two feet or so behind the front man is the best place to aim a corner. it's an incredibly hard technique to get the ball over their head with pace and enough dip that its headable just behind them. so many corner takers struggle to beat the first man because they're trying to take the "perfect" corner

I think you quoted my comment on taking Madders off corners but can’t see my comment.

That stat is most likely true but if Madders can’t do this, just because he can take a nice free kick doesn’t mean that he’s the one for corners.

I also feel our movement attacking wise leaves a lot to be desired, totally understand focusing on the obvious defensive frailties first but never feel a corner for us will be a genuine goal scoring chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

Madders needs to do Lars a favour now and practice the actual art of taking a ****ing corner lol I see Lars has helped him out by devising the 'edge of the box' routine, needs to work both ways though.

He's cracked free kicks and general play, just needs to put the hours in on getting past the first man. 

I noticed Grealish did the same but was only given two chances and then swapped with KDB... i'd like us to see us be more ruthless like that as I think KDH can take a decent corner.

Yes.  We should swap someone for KDB

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

A lot of it will analysing footage and going over routines with players focusing on body shape, timing, decoy runs etc.

....I think there is a lot of mixed messages in our coaching setup and that won't help the players!!!

If you are being told to play zonal, then you leave the other players around you to take care of runners and block properly. You are not going to get much of a space to run in the box, so you are going to be reacting as opposed to being proactive. 

19 hours ago, Stadt said:

Having a left footer adds better variability too

I recall when Albrighton and A.N.Other (Madders?) did a crafty one-two short corner - leading to Albrighton getting a cross in close to goal and right on the line. They'd obviously planned it and it succeeded. Taking the opposition by surprise is key and the sight of Maddison taking yet another corner (never a highly successful return) becomes frustrating - not because he's not skilled but because it's not working. KDH and Tielemans should be in a rota - mixing it up.

This same-old, same-old smacks of Rodgers' regimented approach to planning - suppressing the flair and creativity which he could be encouraging in his players.

On MotD the defensive changes were highlighted. The defenders are now moving as a unit and in two lines. It stunted the Mancs attackers - only de Bruyne's immense technique broke the deadlock. This unit defence enables a roving zonal defence and gives support to the particular defender taking on his man. It requires discipline, focus and mobility - and that takes training. Faes has also provided a lynch-pin around which the other defenders feel confidence. Lars is a godsend - if we avoid the drop and finish comfortably in mid table it will be down to him and Faes. Rodgers might get the credit but most of us can see that it will be undeserved if he does.

On 31/10/2022 at 12:51, FosseSpark said:

I find the whole set piece coach thing weird. If i were Top/Susan i'd be getting Brendan, Kolo, Stowell in and saying 'what the **** were you saying to them for the last 18months that this guys has sorted in less than 3 weeks'. It embarrasses all of them that basically this guys has taught the team how to defend set pieces since he joined. Granted Faes and his attacking of the ball has made a difference, but it's the whole team taking more responsibility and adopting a better shape.

.. you have to take into account that Susan or Khun Top knows very little about the intricacies of the game!!!

You would have to have played to a degree as to understand what can or cannot be resolved, be someone who brings knowledge to the table,  as to someone who cannot see glaring problems and therefore unaware that the problem needs to be resolved. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

So what were the other coaches doing to earn their wages? Need some redundancies perhaps 🤔 

...Rodgers would not sanction it and the club could not as it would be a pushback against Rodgers as they are a team!!!

Getting rid of any of the coaches brought in by Rodgers is not something that Rodgers would be prepared to endorse.

You are right though,  why can we all see the problems with the team and week after week failing to address it. It is strange that we seemed to be taking another approach to the game now.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

If a picture could tell a thousand words?

wonder what simple logic & wisdom Lars the great is bestowing on hammertai…

39148167-3299-4E2C-BDC9-063238C2ABED.jpeg

I assume you mean what logic and wisdom Big Dan is bestowing on Lars.

22 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

If a picture could tell a thousand words?

wonder what simple logic & wisdom Lars the great is bestowing on hammertai…

39148167-3299-4E2C-BDC9-063238C2ABED.jpeg

"Anyway, she was bent over the hotel table and I was giving it the beans if you know what I mean .."

Keith Chegwin on Extras: Ricky Gervais pays tribute to 'national treasure'  with poignant and hilarious memory - Irish Mirror Online

On 03/11/2022 at 13:54, moore_94 said:

Knudsen impact?

“In terms of set-pieces, Lars has made a great impact. We’ve looked strong and solid and aggressive. That was the improvement we needed to make. That’s important. His work has been excellent. The defensive work within the structure of the team, it’s analysing the details around it. A number of our goals were about transition, and we've been able to close the pitch. The players feels more comfortable.”

which is nothing to do with the set piece coach ........ he's thrown himself under the bus - get Jason on the case !!!

Worth remembering he's a manager in his own right, so i'm sure has plenty more say than just set pieces..... you never know we might have unearthed the next Scandi top manager!

He's currently in charge of Denmark U20, has managed their U18 side and has had two Assistant Manager roles at top clubs in Denmark.

What's the bet Southgate picks at least one of our players simply for set piece insight when we play USA lol 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Worth remembering he's a manager in his own right, so i'm sure has plenty more say than just set pieces..... you never know we might have unearthed the next Scandi top manager!

He's currently in charge of Denmark U20, has managed their U18 side and has had two Assistant Manager roles at top clubs in Denmark.

What's the bet Southgate picks at least one of our players simply for set piece insight when we play USA lol 

Wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being the caretaker should we end up sacking Rodgers and have to wait for a replacement

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Was just thinking this, we might have stumbled across a very, very capable and intelligent coach that has the ability to take charge of a team. I suspect if Brendan were ever to be sacked or walk that Lars is part of or the caretaker manager.