Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ward or Iversen?

Ward or Iversen?  

750 members have voted

1. 1. Ward or Iversen for number 1?

• Ward
    • Iversen

39 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He was good. Couldn't have done anything about either of the goals 

Certainly couldn’t do anything while standing completely still. Thought he could have at least dived for them. 

• Haha 3

Didn’t really do enough for me to declare he’s the new no1 but didn’t do anything wrong either. Can’t really fault him for either goal and he’ll only get better so I’ll judge after about 10 games I reckon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

What kind of contract is Iversen on? He’ll want minutes. He said he wanted a shot in the premier league.

Still has until 2025

I can see him going out on loan again, he isn't going to want to sit around for at most 3 cup games if it is made clear to him Ward is number 1

7 hours ago, Webbo said:

Apart from a couple of halves in preseason (where he was hardly outstanding) I've not seen enough of iverson to know whether he's better than Ward or not. I'm not sure how anyone can be convinced he is? 

Exactly this. I’ve probably not seen enough of either of them to be really sure. You need a run of games to judge a goalkeeper.

I’m presuming that most of those picking Iversen are doing it based on reviews from his Preston loan and not actually seeing him play very much 

24 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Still has until 2025

I can see him going out on loan again, he isn't going to want to sit around for at most 3 cup games if it is made clear to him Ward is number 1

Probably. He’s already proven he’s good enough for the Championship though.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Didn’t really do enough for me to declare he’s the new no1 but didn’t do anything wrong either. Can’t really fault him for either goal and he’ll only get better so I’ll judge after about 10 games I reckon.

What do you want him to do? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Still has until 2025

All the talk is that Brendan likes 3 keepers so I think there's a chance we pick up an experienced no.3 and both ward and Iversen get games, there's only 15 games before the winter break and just 2 after the resumption of the season, before the window opens.

Could be a case of us giving them both a chance and making a move in January if both aren't cutting it. 

Didn’t see all of the game, only highlights, but I noted from both of Brentford’s goals that we were defending far too deep for both - defenders were pretty much on top of Ward.

So - can anyone who saw the whole game relay if that was the case for the rest of the game and whether Ward was actively trying to address this as an issue?

Have to say additionally - Rodgers has made a big **** up with this. 

One thing a successful defensive unit needs going into a season needs is a clear idea who the number 1 is behind them - because different keepers have different skill sets.

Kasper was shit hot at shot stopping, but crap at crosses - so you’d expect a defence to allow a little more room in front to cover high balls in.

Ward - probably more of a solid all-round keeper not excelling at anyone part means you squeeze up a bit / don’t give that space in front.

Iverson is a tall bugger, so I imagine you give him the box to deal with. 

But anyway - given BR knew Kasper was leaving, a priority during pre-season had to be giving the new number 1 extended minutes with the back four / three in preparation. 45 minute stints do nothing for keepers because there meaningful involvement is so sporadic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Still has until 2025

The issue is, so does Stolarczyk. I'd be tempted to sell Iversen but at this late stage of the window most clubs willing to pay several million will have sorted their keeper situation out. I'd then loan Stolarczyk out and get an experienced number 2 in and then use Young or Odunze as 3rd choice if needs be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He was good. Couldn't have done anything about either of the goals 

Well he could have, totally out of position for the second. There was only one place that shot was going and ward was on the other side of the goal.

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Well he could have, totally out of position for the second. There was only one place that shot was going and ward was on the other side of the goal.

1 minute ago, kyleolly said:

His positioning is terrible the 2nd goal highlights that 

He was in the centre of the goal you idiots! 

• Like 2

Lord! What a load of tosh on here!

He was good, it felt like we had a goalkeeper at last. I loved Kasper too but his weaknesses outweighed his strengths last season. No goals conceded from set pieces, a keeper that came for & confidently collected crossse, and didn’t float a single kick over a FBs head directly into touch. What more do you want?!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Yeah I thought his lack of ability to grow wings was very disappointing 

Proper football blokes hate nothing more than keepers not diving for blatantly unsavable shots, with the possible exception of Maddison walking over to take corners

2 hours ago, MPH said:

im simply saying that I need to see a few outstanding saves first and those opportunities were not presented to him today.

I’m sorry but whatever you said was not simple. 

It gave me a headache. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

I'd take ward over Iverson personally, although Iverson had an amazing season at Preston and was probably the best keeper in the league, I'd still pick Ward as for Wales in the euros he looked really good. He'll have Iverson breathing down his neck the whole season though. 

• Like 3