Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ward or Iversen?

Ward or Iversen?  

750 members have voted

1. 1. Ward or Iversen for number 1?

• Ward
    • Iversen

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

Neither is good enough, really. But Ward seems marginally better and, hopefully, will grow. Although, that’s difficult in a team playing with low confidence.

You say Ward seems marginally better, but he has hardly played any first team football at a decent level, and hardly played any first team football anywhere for years. At least Iversen has been playing football for the last 18 months, in the second tier, and was the fans and players player of the year at Preston last season, and seems to have built a decent reputation. Smithies has played alot more football than Ward, and mainly at second tier level too, and is as good if not even better than Ward. In fact there is an argument to be had, that Ward is now the third best keeper currently at the club, but is playing in the first team!

• Like 3

Just now, smudger63 said:

You say Ward seems marginally better, but he has hardly played any first team football at a decent level, and hardly played any first team football anywhere for years. At least Iversen has been playing football for the last 18 months, in the second tier, and was the fans and players player of the year at Preston last season, and seems to have built a decent reputation. Smithies has played alot more football than Ward, and mainly at second tier level too, and is as good if not even better than Ward. In fact there is an argument to be had, that Ward is now the third best keeper currently at the club, but is playing in the first team!

Ward has been playing international football for Wales, barring injuries. 🤷. I’m not attached to any keeper we have - I stayed at the beginning that I’m far from convinced either is up to it. But, in my opinion, Wars edges it. For now. Despite today. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Oh FFS

Are we really going to do this every time there's a mistake or issue with him? It's not like Schmeichel never made any errors.

He needs time to settle, time to get an understanding with the defence. Not sure what anyone would do if we put Iversen in and he threw one in after 20 minutes. "Right, get Smithies in there!"

Rodgers has made him number one and that's it. I don't see Iversen playing anything but cup games or coming in for injuries.

Have you actually seen the third goal? Dropping a simple catch has nothing to do with understanding his defence, just basic keeping.

Schmeichel made mistakes but not many over nearly 500 matches. Ward’s 2nd match in as confirmed number 1. He was directly responsible for the 3rd, should’ve done better with the 4th and was in no man’s land for the 1st if we are being honest. 

• Like 1

Yeah i mean what more could Iversen do to deserve a go he was brilliant last season.

Also what was Ward doing with his black socks pulled up looked like he was trying to absorb as much of the suns heat as possible. That irritated me more than it should 🙌 and him telling seemingly only Fofana where to stand after Fof got on his way from the cross and the clearance and other times. It was all a bit weird.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Yes. But the guy was asking me to expand on my opinion, not the opinion of another set of fans 🤷

But having admitted that you haven’t seen much of him, it would be worth considering  fans that have seen him over an extended period of time (and more than Rodger’s has) before writing him off as not good enough and not as good as Ward. 

• Like 1

Just now, funkyrobot said:

But having admitted that you haven’t seen much of him, it would be worth considering  fans that have seen him over an extended period of time (and more than Rodger’s has) before writing him off as not good enough and not as good as Ward. 

Er - no. Because it was my opinion. Not yours. Or anyone else’s. And unlike you, I haven’t chosen to challenge anyone else’s opinion. Just to offer my own 😊👍. And I will be sticking with it for now 😂

9 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Ward has been playing international football for Wales, barring injuries. 🤷. I’m not attached to any keeper we have - I stayed at the beginning that I’m far from convinced either is up to it. But, in my opinion, Wars edges it. For now. Despite today. 😊

Do you remember the league Cup game with Arsenal a couple of years back when he gave them a goal with an almighty clanger. Or the Notts Forest game where he was useless, or the almighty clanger for Wales before his injury. Wales other goalkeeper of note is Wayne Hennessy, so the competition at Wales is a pretty low bar. The warning signs with the elevation of Ward to number one keeper have been there in the few games he has played. He saved a few pens in shoot outs that endeared him to some fans, but facing pens is a whole lot different to the day to day job a goalkeeper is expected to do during the cut and thrust of a 90 minute game.   In an ideal world we would have brought in a new number one keeper, tried to sell Ward and had Iversen as number two keeper for now.  Ward should be no where near the first team. We massively over paid for him, which for the life of me I couldn't understand at the time.  Don't get me wrong, we didn't lose today purely down to Ward, and he wasn't  to blame for the goals last week either, he is only part of our current problems.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Communication issue today, he should've been louder with Fofana. Maybe it's confidence, he needs the fans behind his back supporting him; he's our no.1 now.

I'll be concerned if we continue to see issues like that. He's athletic and a decent shot parrier.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Er - no. Because it was my opinion. Not yours. Or anyone else’s. And unlike you, I haven’t chosen to challenge anyone else’s opinion. Just to offer my own 😊👍. And I will be sticking with it for now 😂

If you don’t want people to challenge your opinion then don’t put your opinion on a public forum. 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Jaspa said:

Communication issue today, he should've been louder with Fofana. Maybe it's confidence, he needs the fans behind his back supporting him; he's our no.1 now.

I'll be concerned if we continue to see issues like that. He's athletic and a decent shot parrier.

He is decent, well maybe in the championship, this is a different level and for me he can’t handle it 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

9 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Do you remember the league Cup game with Arsenal a couple of years back when he gave them a goal with an almighty clanger. Or the Notts Forest game where he was useless, or the almighty clanger for Wales before his injury. Wales other goalkeeper of note is Wayne Hennessy, so the competition at Wales is a pretty low bar. The warning signs with the elevation of Ward to number one keeper have been there in the few games he has played. He saved a few pens in shoot outs that endeared him to some fans, but facing pens is a whole lot different to the day to day job a goalkeeper is expected to do during the cut and thrust of a 90 minute game.   In an ideal world we would have brought in a new number one keeper, tried to sell Ward and had Iversen as number two keeper for now.  Ward should be no where near the first team. We massively over paid for him, which for the life of me I couldn't understand at the time.  Don't get me wrong, we didn't lose today purely down to Ward, and he wasn't  to blame for the goals last week either, he is only part of our current problems.

Fella, you’re pushing at a fairly open door. 😂. I don’t rate either, particularly. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

That was the biggest worry for me today, I've got my suspicions that he ought to have done better on 5 of the 6 goals he has conceded so far but some of that is very subjective. What was very clear though was a complete lack of I tuition between goalkeeper and defence which I can almost understand as it's early days but he's also trained with this lot for years.

Are we perhaps paying the price for him being our for the whole of pre-season? Might not help early on.

1 hour ago, Old Fox said:

It’s coming home to roost that some supporters hugely underestimated the impact that Kasper had not only as a keeper, but in the dressing room and as a leader…..neither Ward or Iversen are remotely close to Kasper and this will be a problem position until we invest properly …similar to when Vardy leaves at the other end although i am slightly concerned watching JV in the two games that he has lost a yard of pace …..back to keepers but it is probably the most important position and we do not have the solution in house …..I wonder if we will regret not giving Kasper the security he wanted!

I mean it's not like a player has been brought in as a direct replacement for Kasper, Ward played second fiddle to him for over 4 years, and is on about a 6th of the Wage KS was on.

No huge surprise he isn't going to look like the finished article the first time he has played 2 consecutive league games in 4 years.

Ward being chosen as number one, says more about the current predicament the club are in, that someone being chosen due to sheer talent.

I'd rather have Gavin Ward back in the team.....

As others have said Kasper's leadership is already being missed in the dressing room. He was here for out "golden period", him leaving could be a indication that the golden period has come to an end.

Edited by Mikw

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

You watch Wales a lot? I'll remind you that Jordan Pickford is England 's number 1. A low bar - if he can touch it. 😂

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1