Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ward or Iversen?

Ward or Iversen?  

750 members have voted

1. 1. Ward or Iversen for number 1?

• Ward
    • Iversen

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Iverson has played one cup game!

I don’t rate Ward at all, but the point was we’d not seen enough of either to know who is better. Iverson could in fact we worse! I’m not saying he is at all, but I’m the few games I’ve seen both they’ve made some right clangers. 

Only when a manager sees fit to give him a run of games will I know. 

And 150 ish more league games than Ward. 

It's all subjective of course but it's a no brainer for me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Iverson has played one cup game!

I don’t rate Ward at all, but the point was we’d not seen enough of either to know who is better. Iverson could in fact we worse! I’m not saying he is at all, but I’m the few games I’ve seen both they’ve made some right clangers. 

Only when a manager sees fit to give him a run of games will I know. 

Iversen was player of the season at Preston last year and loved by Preston and previously by Rotherham fans. Iversen has a lot of positive reasons to be selected based on his performances on a football pitch in competitive league games. Many more appearances than Ward. Ward’s major reason for being selected by Rodgers can only be that he was a loyal non-playing number 2 when Kasper was here. His elevation to number is not actually based on any form as he’s never played!  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Iversen was player of the season at Preston last year and loved by Preston and previously by Rotherham fans. Iversen has a lot of positive reasons to be selected based on his performances on a football pitch in competitive league games. Many more appearances than Ward. Ward’s major reason for being selected by Rodgers can only be that he was a loyal non-playing number 2 when Kasper was here. His elevation to number is not actually based on any form as he’s never played!  🤷🏻‍♂️

And none of those things impact my actual ability to say who is the better player categorically. 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Fwiw, today he wasn’t at fault for either goal and neither were saveable (I do want to see James’ cross for the second again) 

and he made a save that he probably had no right to which hasn’t happened in previous weeks 

He couldn't do anything about the first goal, but I think a decent keeper cuts out the cross for the second one, from first look at least. Even his save in the first half came about because he was all over the place.  Also if you go back to the Southampton game when Adams hits the post near the end of the game, and watch that chance again, Ward is all over the place then too.  If it wasn't for the fact he is wearing the goalkeeper kit, I wouldn't believe he was a real goalkeeper at all! More like an outfield player on the park going in goal for a laugh. He is shocking, and going to cost us far more points  than he saves us for as long as he is picked.

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

The ‘expected saves’ statistic has dropped through the floor. Ward is very clearly a reserve keeper in terms of ability and presence at this level. He’s number 1 for Wales because the only alternative Wayne Hennessey is also at that level. Iversen is clearly the better option. In the same sense Soyuncu is clearly a better option at CB than Amartey. It’s so clear, either Rodger’s is trying to self sabotage to get a sacking and a payoff, or he’s lost the plot, or Amartey and Wardy have compromising pictures of him! 

is a complete waste of time.

It's even more meaningless than xG. Expected saves is just a laughable phrase. It's not a stat, it's little boys with a spreadsheet making American-style predictions about a sport that is popular because it's unpredictable.

Come at me when a string of error-strewn performances have cost us a game, not when he's just made 2 or 3 saves that keep us in a game.

Let's not kid ourselves, it's an appalling start from him. He's rock bottom of all the goalkeeper stats in the league, he also managed to be part of a Huddersfield side many years ago that got promoted sith a negative goal difference. Ominous.

Hands made of wet bog roll

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's not kid ourselves, it's an appalling start from him. He's rock bottom of all the goalkeeper stats in the league, he also managed to be part of a Huddersfield side many years ago that got promoted sith a negative goal difference. Ominous.

Hands made of wet bog roll

He’s dead last in save percentage and a distant, god-awful last in Post-Shot xG - GA/90'.  (For reference, Kasper was always pretty much average by that stat.)

If Ward was our established Number One, I could see giving him more games to right the ship.  But he’s a backup competing with someone with nothing left to prove at lower levels.  Even given the inevitable growing pains, Iversen will be hard pressed to post such poor numbers.

THIS is the season to accept those growing pains, and see if we have a valuable asset who can spare us buying another keeper.  What on earth can we gain from just confirming that Ward is mediocre or worse?

2111575005_keepersbyPSxG-GA.thumb.JPG.038bec0105968668d1b6451c7338c108.JPG

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KingsX said:

He’s dead last in save percentage and a distant, god-awful last in Post-Shot xG - GA/90'.  (For reference, Kasper was always pretty much average by that stat.)

If Ward was our established Number One, I could see giving him more games to right the ship.  But he’s a backup competing with someone with nothing left to prove at lower levels.  Even given the inevitable growing pains, Iversen will be hard pressed to post such poor numbers.

THIS is the season to accept those growing pains, and see if we have a valuable asset who can spare us buying another keeper.  What on earth can we gain from just confirming that Ward is mediocre or worse?

I bet he's been picked on his ball control with his feet, look at the passing stats.

41 minutes ago, KingsX said:

It's nice to look at the numbers every now and again, but if you watched all of our games this season then you'd know that bar the 3rd goal at Arsenal, he's not put a foot/ glove wrong.

• Like 1