Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ward or Iversen?

Ward or Iversen?  

750 members have voted

1. 1. Ward or Iversen for number 1?

• Ward
    • Iversen

2 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

It's nice to look at the numbers every now and again, but if you watched all of our games this season then you'd know that bar the 3rd goal at Arsenal, he's not put a foot/ glove wrong.

Being a top class keeper isn’t just about doing the basics right - it’s about making outstanding saves which stop what looks like a certain goal. He did that once today - the first time this season I reckon. we need that more often if we are conceding two each game 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Being a top class keeper isn’t just about doing the basics right - it’s about making outstanding saves which stop what looks like a certain goal. He did that once today - the first time this season I reckon. we need that more often if we are conceding two each game 

He made a bunch of outstanding saves against Arsenal

He made two of them today, saving a certain tap in and getting a toe on Sterlings attempt to put it off target.

People on here are way too reactionary, they think with Iversen in net or whoever else it might be, that we're magically not going to concede goals anymore when the reality of the situation is that our defense, especially Amartey, have been shocking and have regularly exposed Ward to high % chances 

Edited by LFox99

Just now, LFox99 said:

He made two of them today, saving a certain tap in and getting a toe on Sterlings attempt to put it off target.

People on here are way too reactionary, they think with Iversen in net or whoever else it might be, that we're magically not going to concede goals anymore when the reality of the situation is that our defense, especially Amartey, has been shocking and have regularly exposed Ward to high % chances 

I thought all the saves at arsenal were ones he would be expected to make 

I commented on the sterling save 

I must have missed the tap  in 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

It's nice to look at the numbers every now and again, but if you watched all of our games this season then you'd know that bar the 3rd goal at Arsenal, he's not put a foot/ glove wrong.

I've watched every minute of our four League games.

I admit I have no experience of the position, but his positioning and anticipation don't look good to me, and he moves more slowly than other keepers at this level.

My point was less about the numbers, though, than the fact that we have so little to gain by playing Ward, and quite a bit to gain from seeing what we have in Iversen.

• Like 3

He was at fault for the first goal yesterday. He’s too far off his line and barely got off the ground either. He won’t be number one here for long but in saying that, he’s the least of our problems actually. He’s playing in front of a crap defence for a crap Manager.

• Like 1

Watched the 2nd goal back. Plenty wrong ahead of him, but how does a ball cross the 6 yard box for Sterling without any intervention. Not even like its on the 6-yard line. By the time the ball reaches Sterling, he's literally on the goal line. Why/how has Ward not got anything on it? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Watched the 2nd goal back. Plenty wrong ahead of him, but how does a ball cross the 6 yard box for Sterling without any intervention. Not even like its on the 6-yard line. By the time the ball reaches Sterling, he's literally on the goal line. Why/how has Ward not got anything on it? 

Because he hasn't learnt some of the basics at a lower level, and is making mistakes for us that should have been ironed out early in his career but he's barely played to gain that experience. Unfortunately we've gambled on 3 championship keepers and we will pay for it, the only tinge of hope I have is Iversen from the little I've seen is more instinctive as a keeper and has some Kasper traits in his ability to make himself big and put forwards off.

14 hours ago, KingsX said:

He’s dead last in save percentage and a distant, god-awful last in Post-Shot xG - GA/90'.  (For reference, Kasper was always pretty much average by that stat.)

If Ward was our established Number One, I could see giving him more games to right the ship.  But he’s a backup competing with someone with nothing left to prove at lower levels.  Even given the inevitable growing pains, Iversen will be hard pressed to post such poor numbers.

THIS is the season to accept those growing pains, and see if we have a valuable asset who can spare us buying another keeper.  What on earth can we gain from just confirming that Ward is mediocre or worse?

2111575005_keepersbyPSxG-GA.thumb.JPG.038bec0105968668d1b6451c7338c108.JPG

It's ironic quoting stats after three games which are, by definition, statistically insignificant.

3 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

He was at fault for the first goal yesterday. He’s too far off his line and barely got off the ground either. He won’t be number one here for long but in saying that, he’s the least of our problems actually. He’s playing in front of a crap defence for a crap Manager.

If Ward is playing in front of the defence we've found our problem 🤣

17 hours ago, iancognito said:

is a complete waste of time.

It's even more meaningless than xG. Expected saves is just a laughable phrase. It's not a stat, it's little boys with a spreadsheet making American-style predictions about a sport that is popular because it's unpredictable.

Come at me when a string of error-strewn performances have cost us a game, not when he's just made 2 or 3 saves that keep us in a game.

The stat combined with our position in the table and what we’ve seen with our own eyes, would indicate that it isn’t meaningless. Against Arsenal I thought he was suspect for 3 of the goals, strangely enough, the expected saves stats agreed. 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Absolutely bang on. The ball comes across, halfway inside the six yard box. Ward is just frozen to his line, no movement and no anticipation what so ever. Shocking goalkeeping that. Any decent keeper would have cut that cross out so close to his goal line. I have zero confidence in him. 

• Like 1

Ward has been statistically the worst keeper in the league so far. Expect Rodgers to persevere regardless after he gave an interview saying he’s a quality keeper… the bloke can’t be seen to be wrong. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, LFox99 said:

People on here are way too reactionary, they think with Iversen in net or whoever else it might be, that we're magically not going to concede goals anymore when the reality of the situation is that our defense, especially Amartey, have been shocking and have regularly exposed Ward to high % chances 

They were blocks he would be expected to save against Arse. 

I don’t get the obsession with Ward honestly, he’s not good enough obviously there’s little evidence as to whether Iversen will be. geezer has come into a shambolic defence and his only real experience was a solid season in the championship for hudds. I don’t think anybody could argue he’s cost us a game, looking for a scapegoat in someone who has come into what already was a bad situation just seems odd to me

9 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I think that Iversen is the better keeper but Danny Ward is far from the main problem in the team at the moment.

He’s a big factor. Doesn’t give confidence to his defence and doesn’t make as many saves as he would be expected. 

• Like 2

For me the Keeper has to be a leader, organise  the defence and be a strong communicator, I don’t feel Ward has those skills on top of the fact he is a bang average keeper. 

Kasper had an aura and a presence about him the only analogy I can liken it to is an absolute horrible thundercnut of a teacher leaves to be. replaced by an absolute wet wipe supply teacher. 

Iversen has a presence about him and for me has to be No1 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

For me the Keeper has to be a leader, organise  the defence and be a strong communicator, I don’t feel Ward has those skills on top of the fact he is a bang average keeper. 

Kasper had an aura and a presence about him the only analogy I can liken it to is an absolute horrible thundercnut of a teacher leaves to be. replaced by an absolute wet wipe supply teacher. 

Iversen has a presence about him and for me has to be No1 

That might of had something to do with the fact that he had been here 10 years plus and Captain.

Don’t expect two previous bit part players to come in and have any aura or presence as GK at this stage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

This. I don't get people saying "he isn't making errors". I definitely think he looked so sluggish and could've done better on the 2nd.

That 2nd goal he is so sluggish, the ball is crossed across the 6 yard box and he just kind of slowly turns 90 degrees with the turning circle of a tank and his arms not even moving, he's also ball watching the entire time and seems to have no idea that Sterling is behind him if the cross comes in. He then doesn't change his positioning given where Sterling is to try and cut out the cross and then doesn't even attempt the dive at either the cross. I think plenty of PL goalkeepers could've stopped that cross or at least would've been aware of Sterling's position in the 6 yard box and would've put themselves in a far better position to cover the cross and Sterling, knowing that it's an almost certain goal if the cross reaches Sterling given his position.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

That might of had something to do with the fact that he had been here 10 years plus and Captain.

Don’t expect two previous bit part players to come in and have any aura or presence as GK at this stage.

And his dad was an outstanding GK. KS has openly stated his dad is his hero and inspiration. He had a lot to live up to and that helps.