Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ward or Iversen?

Ward or Iversen?  

750 members have voted

1. 1. Ward or Iversen for number 1?

• Ward
    • Iversen

20 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

He got completely exposed by the defence for the goal. 

The whole point of a keeper is the last line of defence when the defenders have failed to do their job. He is playing behind a defensive line that is struggling. That shouldn’t excuse poor goalkeeping.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, funkyrobot said:

The whole point of a keeper is the last line of defence when the defenders have failed to do their job. He is playing behind a defensive line that is struggling. That shouldn’t excuse poor goalkeeping.

Thanks for explaining what the keeper does. Jesus Christ. Watch the goal back. It was absolutely shocking defending. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eblair said:

Get to f***

One point in five, looked like an impersonation of a goalkeeper. But been ‘great for me personally’

Out the club now

E35B75BA-E134-46BA-A3B0-79B7A3B65059.jpeg

He's only echoing some of the thoughts of some on here, those who think he deserves a game because he's sat on his arse for 4 years.

He's about a 5.5 for me so far.

At the time he made that long ball I genuinely thought 'there's something for the others to go for' instead of Kasper's distribution. Then they scored lol but Thomas' fault more than anything else.

He had a bit of a mix up with Evans at one point. 

Generally decent with crosses and corners.

Could have done with some more league cup or european matches to test out Iversen a bit more on a free-ish hit basis but nevemind.

Edited by Nalis

44 minutes ago, stu said:

Ward is completely at fault for the goal, not for the attempted save, but for punting the ball up the field in literally the only place on the field we didn’t want it to go.

Thomas had advanced up the field and was out of position. Any keeper with a footballing brain would be aware of where his back line are positioned and look to put it in the safest place possible where we are more likely to retain possession.

It’s was a hit and hope with very little intelligence behind it and ultimately it lead to the goal.

Agreed. I thought he looked slow coming off his line too, in two minds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Thanks for explaining what the keeper does. Jesus Christ. Watch the goal back. It was absolutely shocking defending. 

I’d advise you watch the goal back, clearly you don’t understand what I’m saying. Yes, the defending in front of Ward was poor, but his role is to mitigate against that by doing his job properly. You don’t pick a goalie thinking, ‘well he’s a bit dodgy but our defence should stop him having to do much work.’ You pick a goalie that when the defence is breached (or if the defence is shocking) is going to make it as difficult as possible for the striker to score. Ward comprehensively failed at that last night, he made it very very easy for Sancho to round him after being the one that initially gave up possession by hoofing it towards offside players with Thomas (in Ward’s eyeline as he kicked it) still way out of position. 

Edited by funkyrobot
  • Like 3

I’ve no doubt people tried to blame Amartey originally, and have settled for blaming Ward, when the reality is both his short options were covered. 

The goals on Thomas, and then Ndidi.

Also, in terms of the poll, Iversen was good at Preston, but they’ve kept 7 cleansheets in 7 without him, so maybe he just had a really good defence in front of him?  

Edited by Onions

1 minute ago, Onions said:

I’ve no doubt people tried to blame Amartey originally, and have settled for blaming Ward, when the reality is both his short options were covered. 

The goals on Thomas, and then Ndidi. 

Ward gave the ball away, Ward made it very easy for Sancho to round him. He takes a massive part of responsibility for that goal. That doesn’t excuse Thomas, but like Ward, he shouldn’t be in the first 11.

• Like 1

Just now, funkyrobot said:

Ward gave the ball away, Ward made it very easy for Sancho to round him. He takes a massive part of responsibility for that goal. That doesn’t excuse Thomas, but like Ward, he shouldn’t be in the first 11.

I think ultimately when a player ends up 1 on 1 with a goalkeeper, that’s a defensive mistake. 

Im not going to blame my GK for being beaten 1 on 1, and no matter how much people want to blame a poor kick, we should never be that exposed. 

He had no short options, so it’s booted out left or right, either way our full backs were nowhere to be seen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Iversen in. We need to make changes and the distribution that led to the goal shows a real lack of understanding where danger comes from. Iversen has had 1 game and saved 3 pens. The Preston manager said he rated him as a 15-20m pound player, he won their player of the year award and he had a great season last year albeit in the Championship whilst Ward was sat on the bench. Nothing he has shown us so far suggests Ward is of a premier league starting keeper quality. Iversen just might well be. Get him in the side. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

Iversen in. We need to make changes and the distribution that led to the goal shows a real lack of understanding where danger comes from. Iversen has had 1 game and saved 3 pens. The Preston manager said he rated him as a 15-20m pound player, he won their player of the year award and he had a great season last year albeit in the Championship whilst Ward was sat on the bench. Nothing he has shown us so far suggests Ward is of a premier league starting keeper quality. Iversen just might well be. Get him in the side. 

Rodgers will play Ward all season so until the managers gone Ward will be no.1

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

I’d advise you watch the goal back, clearly you don’t understand what I’m saying. Yes, the defending in front of Ward was poor, but his role is to mitigate against that by doing his job properly. You don’t pick a goalie thinking, ‘well he’s a bit dodgy but our defence should stop him having to do much work.’ You pick a goalie that when the defence is breached (or if the defence is shocking) is going to make it as difficult as possible for the striker to score. Ward comprehensively failed at that last night, he made it very very easy for Sancho to round him after being the one that initially gave up possession by hoofing it towards offside players with Thomas (in Ward’s eyeline as he kicked it) still way out of position. 

Look I’m not saying Ward should be absolved of any blame and for the record I don’t think he’s good enough at all. It was all a shambles… we can agree on that at least?

17 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Look I’m not saying Ward should be absolved of any blame and for the record I don’t think he’s good enough at all. It was all a shambles… we can agree on that at least?

Yeh definitely agree. But Ward is easily fixable. Iversen comes with glowing reports from fans and players at Preston and Rotherham. Ward’s playing history bar one season on loan at Huddersfield is as a reserve keeper. He’s 29 and he looks every bit a 2nd/3rd choice keeper at this level. 

• Like 1

Ward isn't a premier league standard GK. He's 29 so he's almost certainly at his ceiling. Iversen has been touted as a potential premier league quality GK for quite sometime and has rave reviews from his last 2 loans. I can't understand why we wouldn't stick him in. If anyone is to learn on the job out of the 2 why wouldn't you put the youngest one in when the other is clearly not good enough. 

• Like 2