Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ward or Iversen?

Ward or Iversen?  

750 members have voted

1. 1. Ward or Iversen for number 1?

• Ward
    • Iversen

59 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Ward.

The guy has waited for 4 years on the back of a £12M move, wetting himself every time Schmeichel was linked with a move elsewhere. He didn't sign a new deal last season for the fun of it, he's obviously sick of waiting for a chance somewhere and has nailed his colours here. He's never let us down in cups when he's played and has the incentive to do well because he wants to be number one for Wales at their first World Cup for decades. He'll be reet.

Yeah he's been brilliant in those penalty saves in the cup runs.

It's a tough one. One plays for Wales while the other one is a future Denmark team goalkeeper.

With Ward injured...then maybe Iversen,....but Ward's been great for Wales 🤷

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas
  • Like 2

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

Iversen has been here longer, quite clearly had a progression plan with all his loans, he's younger than Ward, played more games and has far more potential.

Yep and without Ward I'd put him straight in but Ward has been in and around the squad, even without playing as much and knows the defence from the training ground and practice etc Ward's been at an international tournament with Wales already and had success with Huddersfield. It's a tough call but to spend that much on a player and never use him is crazy.

Personally I’m not sure Ward has done too much wrong for us to be feeling it’s catastrophic that he gets his chance.

He’s usually been pretty reliable in the cups, was highly thought of at Huddersfield and Liverpool and performed with Wales at an international tournament. It’s not like we’re getting an unknown quantity if he gets the shirt.

There would also be a bit of a disaster for squad harmony and our ambition to have a strong squad if, having sat patiently for a few years, he now doesn’t get a chance because Iversen jumps above him. Ward would want to leave and that would leave us needing two new keepers to wait in back up to Iversen.

Our model kind of relies on bringing in the replacement for the expected big departure a year or two earlier ala Soyuncu for Maguire and Justin for Chilwell, or what we’ve appeared to try and do with Soumare for Tielemans/Ndidi and Daka for Vardy. If, by playing Iversen over Ward, we set a precedent here that you don’t actually get that chance when it arises then why would anyone be keen to come?

For all of the above, I’d be astounded (and disappointed) if it was anything other than Ward getting the shirt to lose.

• Like 3

Iversen is 25 with excellent Championship experience. Now is the time for Iversen. And the best time for us to find a Kasper replacement while keeping costs low.

I expect our intent is to give Iversen the position and use Ward incase Iversen doesn’t hit the ground running.

What we’re going to do with Stolarczyk is another question. He’s had some league experience but needs more for his development. I think he’s our third keeper currently.

Edited by Foxxed

1 minute ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Personally I’m not sure Ward has done too much wrong for us to be feeling it’s catastrophic that he gets his chance.

He’s usually been pretty reliable in the cups, was highly thought of at Huddersfield and Liverpool and performed with Wales at an international tournament. It’s not like we’re getting an unknown quantity if he gets the shirt.

There would also be a bit of a disaster for squad harmony and our ambition to have a strong squad if, having sat patiently for a few years, he now doesn’t get a chance because Iversen jumps above him. Ward would want to leave and that would leave us needing two new keepers to wait in back up to Iversen.

Our model kind of relies on bringing in the replacement for the expected big departure a year or two earlier ala Soyuncu for Maguire and Justin for Chilwell, or what we’ve appeared to try and do with Soumare for Tielemans/Ndidi and Daka for Vardy. If, by playing Iversen over Ward, we set a precedent here that you don’t actually get that chance when it arises then why would anyone be keen to come?

For all of the above, I’d be astounded (and disappointed) if it was anything other than Ward getting the shirt to lose.

Ward has been here 4 years it's not like we signed him last season knowing Kasper was out of contract next summer, I'm also sure he's been aware of the clubs plan for Iversen. 

Additionally  jumping above Ward is an odd comment, just because Ward has been at the club doesn't necessarily make him our second best keeper or even thought of as the next first choice. In that time Iversen has been out playing more games than Ward has even though he's 4 years younger. I'd agree with this point if we signed a new keeper not necessarily as good as Ward but played him over him.

Why has it got to be either or?

We can just start out with Ward in the league (given Brendan seems to prefer him currently anyway) and Iversen can get the cup games. That and training should then provide enough competition to make a decision for the matchday squad later on in the season

15 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Why has it got to be either or?

We can just start out with Ward in the league (given Brendan seems to prefer him currently anyway) and Iversen can get the cup games. That and training should then provide enough competition to make a decision for the matchday squad later on in the season

Because even what you have said suggests that Ward would be number 1 as he is the one being chosen to play the majority of games whilst Iversen would be restricted to between 1 and 3 games until 2023

If that is what we go with I can't see us just dropping Ward out of nowhere when he is on a run of games and then putting Iversen in part way through the 1st half of the season (unless it goes horribly)

Edited by moore_94

Interesting one this. If ward was fit and had played pre season I would say it’s a no brainier. However, I’d give the Brentford game to Iversen. If he struggles, Ward needs to get fits and he takes the spot. If Iversen nails it, then it’s his. 

With Kasper likely leaving we suddenly feel very much like Southampton were for the past few seasons in goal where they’ve had 2 or 3 keepers fighting it out for the number 1 spot with none of them really being quite good enough to cement the number 1 role spot. I genuinely haven’t seen enough from Ward either for club or country to suggest he’s a patch on Kasper. Iversen is very popular with Preston fans so that’s a positive for him at least. On that basis I’d go for the latter but tbh would prefer Kasper to stay! 

21 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

If Iversen comes in, plays well, keeps clean sheets before Ward is ready…. It’s his place to lose, no? 

Yep, about the size of it. As I said, a nice position to be in; healthy competition and all that.

Edited by taupe