Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Kasper Schmeichel officially joins Nice

• 6 months later...
Guest David Oldfields Gate
On 03/08/2022 at 21:46, David Oldfields Gate said:

This is a terrible decision by the club to allow it to happen.

We need his leadership more than ever this season because it is going to be seriously hard work and none is coming from Rodgers.

Next year, maybe, this year, No.

Poor all round in my opinion.

Hate that I called the season bob on. I think I've been following the club too long. 😭

Kasper Schmeichel leaves Nice team-mates furious with training antics and 'lack of leadership'

Kasper Schmeichel has been linked with a shock return to former club Leicester City after frustrating some of his team-mates at Nice despite joining just a year ago

Kasper Schmeichel could be set to leave Nice this summer after one year at the Ligue 1 outfit.

Schmeichel, 36, left Leicester at the end of last season and made the switch to the Sir Jim Ratcliffe-owned side in search of a new experience and challenge. The Denmark international made over 400 appearances for the Foxes and helped them win the Premier League and FA Cup during his time in charge.

However, it is safe to say Schmeichel's time at Nice hasn't gone to plan. Despite their spending spree last summer, Nice currently sit ninth and have nothing to play for. They crashed out of the Europa Conference League in the quarter-final and are nine points off the European places with two games to go.

Schmeichel's adaptation to life in France has not been straightforward and his team-mates have grown frustrated with his training methods. The ex-Foxes goalkeeper manages himself and prefers to run his own sessions, rather than join in with the rest of the squad, as he did at Leicester.

According to L'Equipe, his training schedule, coupled with a lack of leadership, are raising tensions at the club. His freedom has annoyed some of his team-mates, who are having to follow a strict routine. It is understood Schmeichel also fails to motivate the group despite his invaluable experience in the game.

This is despite Schmeichel performing well all season in between the sticks. The Danish stopper has conceded a respectable 32 goals in 34 league appearances, keeping 11 clean sheets in the process. They have the second-meanest defensive record in Ligue 1, behind Lens and better than Paris Saint-Germain.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

The Danish stopper has conceded a respectable 32 goals in 34 league appearances, keeping 11 clean sheets in the process. They have the second-meanest defensive record in Ligue 1, behind Lens and better than Paris Saint-Germain.

Sounds quality tbh, what are they moaning for?

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I don't think he'll come back to Leicester if we're playing in the championship, he'll want a premier league move. People will hate me saying this don't rule out a move to Tottenham they will be looking for a new keeper... don't do it Kasper :unsure:

.. I  cannot see him going to  Spurs, but with Rodgers now gone, I believe he now feels comfortable to come back!!!

I have speculated that it will not be on the field but in some other capacity. He is intelligent and ambitious enough to see an opportunity to build something with this club,  do not be surprised if he takes up a role where he can find himself influencing the direction of this club.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

might be unpopular but i’m not convince he should come back.

Him leaving was the right decision, playing ward wasn’t. 

His wages are huge and he’s 36, we need to move on. The obvious move, is to go and get sanchez because dezerbi doesn’t rate him (if we somehow stay up) 

...he left because I believe he could not get Khun Top to get rid of Rodgers!!!

He had previously stated that he would like to play on the continent before his career ended, so he took the opportunity to get away from playing under Rodgers. We have missed a leader in the dressing room, it seems he left a vacuum in the dressing room when he went to Nice.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

He had previously stated that he would like to play on the continent before his career ended, so he took the opportunity to get away from playing under Rodgers. We have missed a leader in the dressing room, it seems he left a vacuum in the dressing room when he went to Nice.

He left a vacuum in defense too, if he was still here, we would NOT be in this mess. He commanded the defense. His leadership qualities were second to none. We have no leaders anymore

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

29 minutes ago, ramaiya2 said:

He left a vacuum in defense too, if he was still here, we would NOT be in this mess. He commanded the defense. His leadership qualities were second to none. We have no leaders anymore

in the kindest possible way, you are using hindsight to cloud your judgement. 

We were a shambles at the back before he left as well. Would we be better… yes. Would he have helped of course… did we still need to move on… yes.   

If kasper played all season we  wouldnt be in this situation. But if iversen played all season i don’t think we’d be here either :dunno:

Simply, we couldn’t afford to keep him anymore. The top clubs pay their keepers less than what we were paying kasp. 

Edited by Lambert09

10 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Simply, we couldn’t afford to keep him anymore. The top clubs pay their keepers less than what we were paying kasp. 

...I cannot agree with this statement,  if you look at all the contracts handed out you can see that Khun Top rewards his players and is prepared to go the extra mile for them!!!

If Kasper had wanted to stay till he is 40 years Khun Top would have allowed it. The rumours of him coming back will be interesting if he is on the playing side.

We did struggle with defence while he was here, but he had his own showreel in his last year with us, he made outstanding saves to keep us in games. His leaving the club was not a cost-cutting exercise.

Should Youri receive an injury in the last game, that would see him out for 9 months, do not be surprised if he is not taken care of by the club, (even though he would be out of contract with us) it is what we do.