Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Kasper Schmeichel officially joins Nice

Thanks for the ever lasting memories Kasper. Not just a Legend of the club but also an intelligent  and articulate gentleman who not only endured the best days of the club but also the worst. A leader on and off the pitch and a great ambassador for the club.  

• Like 2

It's strange really. I've somehow seen his first game ever at the Walkers Stadium, and saw his last appearance at the King Power, despite not making many games.

Kasper was on loan to Cardiff from Man City, bright red cheeks & luminous hair. Springy in his goal and loud to his teammates, despite the baby-face, I was quite impressed in the 0-0 plus cleansheet and saw the potential. Yet I never envisioned at that time how he could possibly achieve that here with us, given our then goalkeepers of the time were Paul Henderson & Ben Alnwick, and the Topps Tiles advert on our kits foreboding our imminent fall into League 1.

We all know what he has achieved in his time here, it's truly remarkable, going all the way back to Sven Goran Eriksson. Toughening up in the Championship under Nige, focusing on the Premier League to complete the impossible dream, the Champions League penalties and of course... The FA Cup.

Big game player. At his best when we needed him to be, under the lights. Sure there were disappointments missing out on the Champions League twice, with him contributing errors at the death, but it's all nothing compared to what he's done at Leicester.

Inevitable, but another leader gone. It will take a very special person to replace him.

Thanks Shmigh-cuww, as our fans so thoughtfully would chant. An icon of Leicester City

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Depends on how you mean greatest. Certainly legendary, and the most successfull keeper we have had, and one of the biggest personalities at the club, and an excellent keeper too, but not as good a goalkeeper as Banks and Shilton. Arguably not as good as Wallington and Flowers either, although that could be debated. He will be missed though, and certainly his save in the Cup Final was up there with the best I've seen, and won us the cup for the first time in our history. He will rightfully go down as one of our greatest legends without a doubt. 

I saw all 3 and anyone who genuinely argues Wallington or Flowers were better keepers than Schmeichel has serious, serious nostalgia goggles on. Wallington was a superb Second Division keeper who was ok in the top flight but not amazing, as great a servant as he was for the club and as much as I loved him as a character. Flowers had about 12 genuinely great months for us in the second half of O'Neill's final season and the first half of Taylor's first season and that was about it. Peak Schmeichel is clearly a level above both.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

11 years… all in the first team… that’s really so rare in this day and age. 

As i said in the other thead, it’s not the goalkeeper we need to replace it’s the man behind it. 

Brendan said we needed more winners last season, he’s just lost the man with the biggest winning mentality in the squad! 

• Like 1

Don’t think it’s gonna feel real for a while, Sunday will be strange when he’s not even on the bench. Unprecedented levels of success, a fantastic goalkeeper, a colossus for us overall for eleven seasons. End of an era, hopefully the start of a new dawn. 

thank you Kasper 🦊💙

354AA582-71C5-4277-8C74-E8DED96CEF93.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shamomoa said:

😪😪 goodbye legend, it still seems a strange transfer to me, I thought schmeichel was quite ambitious, can't see him winning anything at nice? Or am I wrong? Will be weird not seeing him in goal at the KP 😪

There's definitely something a bit off about it all but I think it's basically boiled down to a 3 year contract being offered to him probably on the same terms he's on now. No way we'd have matched that in the current climate, and our current situation is probably why we are so willing for it to happen now and not next summer. 

1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Don’t think it’s gonna feel real for a while, Sunday will be strange when he’s not even on the bench. Unprecedented levels of success, a fantastic goalkeeper, a colossus for us overall for eleven seasons. End of an era, hopefully the start of a new dawn. 

thank you Kasper 🦊💙

354AA582-71C5-4277-8C74-E8DED96CEF93.jpeg

Imagine hearing he’d achieve all that 11-years-ago. You’d have been sectioned for suggesting it. Incredible.

• Like 1