Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Leicester’s Transfer Situation Explained - Rob Dorsett - Worth Reading!

Long term strategies in business these days are usually restricted to very large companies, particularly where the UK is concerned. Short termism is often cited as one of the major reasons the UK does not compete effectively with overseas giants. 

So this is a very interesting, and pleasing read. I just hope the fans can be patient. 

This cannot suit Brendan though. A manager with his ambition cannot hope to get a really big job without a consistent track record of success.

Future employers (mostly owners who cannot see beyond the end of the season) won't buy the "but we were building for the future" story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

"But it's a stark fact that, with the spending of the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs - and almost certainly Manchester United too by the end of the window - Leicester could spend £150m this summer and still be no more likely than they are now to break the top six."

This is the reality that many need to get their heads around. The only way we close that gap is by playing smart. 1 good signing this window would be an improvement on last years window. I'm more than happy to be patient if the people coming in are the right type of players. 

....I do not go with this, even going by last season, and finishing 8th, any spending anywhere near that amount would guarantee a top 6 finish!!!

3 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Correction on the timeline here: Rodgers talked about the refresh in February. UEFA announced new financial control rules in April, which came into effect in June. 

For all we know BR and the Club were on the same page about a rebuild in February. 

This will get ignored because the gammons want him gone

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Both at a good age also. Is there any suggestion at all that Blas wants out of Nantes or that Nantes will allow him to go? Are we linked to him? That's passed me by altogether.

I'm not convinced either are that suited to the PL and do wonder if we're just repeating the Soumare experiment. Are we not better to persevere with him? I genuinely don't know.

BR's mind seems made up and I suppose that is the only important thing.

....there is that feeling that Soumare can come good and it is worth backing him!!!

Diop looks like a versatile player and we need his energy and willingness to push us forward making incisive runs and taking up positions that trouble the opposition. If I recall there was a window where we might have been linked with Blas, but we do go back to previous targets later.

2 hours ago, Bilo said:

I think this once again points to King Power's shrewd strategy for the club that has, frankly, been absolutely transformative and the envy of every similarly sized club in the English game.

The likes of Forest, Derby, Coventry etc are at least years if not decades behind us in terms of development, and it's entirely plausible that the power balance that exists is permanent without a massive collapse from us or unforeseen levels of investment in those clubs.

This hasn't been achieved through spendthrift means though, as the owners learned quickly via the Eriksson era that chucking good money after bad wasn't the way. Instead, they've taken the route of expert scouting, building our own players, turning unknowns into stars and selling them at absurd profits.

It's what's served sides like Villarreal and more recently Atalanta very well, perhaps a bit of RB Leipzig without the godawful ethics. Villarreal had never played in La Liga 25 years ago, Atalanta were a yo-yo club and RB Leipzig didn't even exist. None of the above could fairly be accused of buying their way into regular European forays and domestic excellence, and all are clubs surrounded in their leagues by far bigger and more established names. There is little reason why Leicester can't emulate them, not least because we largely have since 2016, but it is true that in the most money-dominated league in Europe that we will need to be clever about how we do it. 

The bolded part is the most important lesson the KP group learned in our era and why they are such amazing owners. They analysed the Football world and assumed that the Chelsea way of spending huge sums to build a club up quickly was the way to go. Something that has also been attempted over the years by Newcastle (when buying Shearer), Leeds, Blackburn and Everton among others. But they found out it just caused chaos and was not sustainable. For all of the spending that Chelsea and Man City do, they also develop amazing youth academy players which they sell for pure profit too.

I think we will have a bit of a downturn over the next 2-3 seasons where we could finish anywhere between 7th and 14th. But long term I'd back the KP group more than literally any other owners in the world. Man City's and Liverpools have done a good job, but Man City literally cheated the FFP rules, and Liverpool used their prestige from yesteryear to bring Klopp in. We are literally the only non-traditional team to have success without paying huge sums of money and to do it with some degree of sustained success too. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tsintskaro said:

He wrote so much and said nothing

recycling old news and words for no relevant insights 

Genuinely this.

It's paragraph after paragraph of stuff we all know. 

I think we're just relieved he didn't put anything bad and he's just offered balance. Or maybe because we're all so used to clickbait articles now we like it when we get some constructed paragraphs with no adverts. 

What I'd like to know is if it's so clearly because of these UEFA FFP rules then why on earth wouldn't the club and or Top just say that? 

9 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Isn't this just a positive way to explain that we fcuked ourselves by giving mediocre players huge wages so now we must suck it up.

Don't worry, it's all part of the planlol

Ironically when we signed Vestergaard it was seen by the fanbase as a small fee and easily worthwhile wage. Likewise Bertrand was seen as a worthwhile addition to the wage bill. Now we are looking at both as a way of scraping together a fee for a new player. 

8 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Genuinely this.

It's paragraph after paragraph of stuff we all know. 

I think we're just relieved he didn't put anything bad and he's just offered balance. Or maybe because we're all so used to clickbait articles now we like it when we get some constructed paragraphs with no adverts. 

What I'd like to know is if it's so clearly because of these UEFA FFP rules then why on earth wouldn't the club and or Top just say that? 

Rob is clueless and has no idea what he is talking about.

This article is just simple guessing and he brought together every possible rumor(that makes little bit of sense) you can see everyday on foxestalk 

One thing i missed is "buying new players does not necessarily mean club is getting stronger" phrase which was used so much recently on this forum.

and he said "And it's hard to see a player of Fofana's character going on strike"

I mean, really? dumb.

okay i get it, this article was written for outsiders,but still, its just lazy and dumb journalism

you want to to talk about something new explain why club cant get rid of any player for 2 years straight

and if there is no financial problem, why dont we just terminate contracts to deadwood like other clubs do

• Haha 2

I'm happy with that explanation and I'm also happy that we are trying to trim the wage bill too having stretched it a bit to compete in the Europa. The club living within in it's means is sensible and sustainable.

Naturally, I'm not happy with last year's recruitment but I accept that there will be the occasional recruitment cycle that doesn't turn out too well. I'm pleased Congerton has gone and I wonder if his departure was convenient all-round. Hopefully Martyn Glover can get us back on track in that department.

There are frustrations and we're paying some frankly shit players a wedge but no business is perfect and I personally believe we have good people in charge who will learn from this.

I'm not a Brendan-hater by a long chalk but I do wonder where this leaves him. I'm not convinced he sees the situation in the same way the board seem to. I could be totally wrong but it seems he's been told that this is how it's going to go and I personally think that he disagrees with that even if he does respect that view as Dorsett suggests. You can respect someone's position while disagreeing with it. The problem of course, is that the club don't want to pay for his sacking and he doesn't want to walk away from a massive contract, so we're at this impasse. In hindsight maybe it was a mistake to give him such a huge contract when Arsenal were sniffing around but then hindsight is a wonderful thing and he was highly-sought after for a reason.

All in all, things aren't perfect right now but I don't think it's the disaster some think it is, far from it.

• Like 1

A few people saying it’s stuff we already know but it’s not how the narrative has developed in the media, and not all our fans will be following updates as closely as we are. 

Clearly there has been some briefing by the club in this article to counter some of the rubbish that has been written about us. 

Good they’re being proactive. 

6 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

His piece on Sky Sports news this morning echoed that and was such a refreshing contrast to yesterdays tweedle dum and tweedle dummer guys on there. 

With Hamza and Kasper out the cogs are beginning to turn slowly now and as clubs assess their squads weaknesses in the next couple of weeks and we get closer to deadline day there could be more movement. 

This is what we have to hope. To be fair, it’s unusual to kick off a new season with basically a month of the transfer window still left to run.

If other clubs start to panic and take a punt on our deadwood late in the game, then I expect we will see players coming in too.

I’m supportive of the strategy in general. My worry is though - if we are doing business very late, which of our targets will be left and available? 

6 hours ago, davieG said:

Nothing there that hasn’t been said by people on here. It all seems fairly obvious.

True but I thought it was good to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak.  Definitely felt like an article with plenty of input from City, albeit I don't buy the idea it's propoganda and also nice to have something in the media which isn't all doom and gloom. 

3 hours ago, tsintskaro said:

Rob is clueless and has no idea what he is talking about.

This article is just simple guessing and he brought together every possible rumor(that makes little bit of sense) you can see everyday on foxestalk 

One thing i missed is "buying new players does not necessarily mean club is getting stronger" phrase which was used so much recently on this forum.

and he said "And it's hard to see a player of Fofana's character going on strike"

I mean, really? dumb.

okay i get it, this article was written for outsiders,but still, its just lazy and dumb journalism

you want to to talk about something new explain why club cant get rid of any player for 2 years straight

and if there is no financial problem, why dont we just terminate contracts to deadwood like other clubs do

Errrr because it would cost millions of pounds to do that. Vestergaard Bertrand and Hamza are on over 10 million a year between them. 
Pay them off and we would have problems 

• Like 1

If we hadn't have had last seasons shit results and then Rodgers reacting like he did post match then it would be easy to look at all this completely reasonably and actually say we have a much better chance this year because the squad is almost all fit. 

If you also just come out and say its because of the FFP rules and the fact we hwve invested so heavily in facilities than yet again everyone is fine. 

It's the way in which we've handled this that's let everyone come in for our players and let the narrative around the club that we are in free fall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

What king power is doing is a sound structured business approach. 

I’ve been talking about this a lot with my mates. It’s not going to be plain sailing, because it’s going to take five or so years to implement. King power were built from the ground up, and that’s what they’re trying to do here. 

In five or so years time we will have the financial infrastructure to compete with the big six clubs, and we won’t need to rely on the funding of financial empire that sits above us. We will in theory have our own mini economy.

But what people have got to see is that it is not a short term vision, it’s long term. And this is why King Power have tried to recruit a manager whom they believe will be able to carry the club on that journey. Brendan on paper seems like that man, due to his age and ideology. We want someone to build a legacy here whilst believing in the program and the project. It’s okay teams like Forest chucking millions around, at the moment our model very much is sell to buy, but the long term goal is to build from within, and generate our own funds.

We as a fan base also need to buy into this project, I’d take 3 or 4 seasons of mediocrity if it meant we can focus on expanding the franchise and self sustainability of the club. The old saying it’s a marathon not a sprint does apply. 

Are we really questioning King power now? After all they’ve achieved with the club? The reason we’ve won things isn’t a fluke, it’s because our ownership is frankly the best in the world. We’ve done it without spending the money of Chelsea, Liverpool Man City et al….. we’ve done it with clever recruitment, sound business policy’s guts and determination and above all some calculated risks. 

There’s no need for us to lose our shit, because in a few years time we will be laughing. Have some pride in your club and trust in the Kind Power plan.

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

If we hadn't have had last seasons shit results and then Rodgers reacting like he did post match then it would be easy to look at all this completely reasonably and actually say we have a much better chance this year because the squad is almost all fit. 

If you also just come out and say its because of the FFP rules and the fact we hwve invested so heavily in facilities than yet again everyone is fine. 

It's the way in which we've handled this that's let everyone come in for our players and let the narrative around the club that we are in free fall. 

Both very reasonable points 

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We now have 25 first team players, whom of which are long term injured in Ricardo and Bertrand…

Which means insurance covers their salaries. If as suspected, Bertrand has played his last game for us, we could consider him gone already too.

12 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

A few people saying it’s stuff we already know but it’s not how the narrative has developed in the media, and not all our fans will be following updates as closely as we are. 

Clearly there has been some briefing by the club in this article to counter some of the rubbish that has been written about us. 

Good they’re being proactive. 

Are you calling us weird …….. 

9 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

The narrative will soon change as it becomes obvious to everyone away from Lcfc that we aren’t desperate for funds - hence newcastle and Chelsea both being knocked back.  Infact, it may be that other clubs fans and the media begin to wonder who is next in the ffp hole (outside the big six). 

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Which means insurance covers their salaries. If as suspected, Bertrand has played his last game for us, we could consider him gone already too.

Does it work like that ?  Policies to pay injured footballers wages would be hugely expensive.  I get that we have for those players who have to stop playing because that’s pretty rare. But stuff like Ricky - surely that’s just our problem. 

11 hours ago, Pliskin said:

In five or so years time we will have the financial infrastructure to compete with the big six clubs

Will we? I agree with most of what you have said, and it seems like we're going for a sensible long term strategy. But even with expanding the stadium, that's still going to be a drop in the ocean compared to the revenue of the "big six".