Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Favourite Pre/Post match pub.

Favourite Pre/Post match pub.  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you go?

• Market Tavern
    • Robert Peel
    • F Bar
    • Duffys
    • Blue Boar
    • The Globe
    • Local Hero
    • Counting House
    • Nine Bar
    • The Fox & Soar
    • The Western
    • Parcel Yard
    • Symphony Rooms
    • The Kings Head
    • Bowling Green
    • Soar Point
    • The Salmon
    • West End Brewery
    • Highcross
    • Other please comment

8 hours ago, melrose said:

Apologies for going back in time but does anyone remember the Van Damm bar, 3 strippers between 1 and 2 o'clock on Saturday

Also the Horsefair and the Corn Exchange around the market place?  1980 ish

Yes just, I had my apprenticeship on great central street in 82. We used to go in the Duke of Cumberland on Fridays, I was pretty decent at pool and the landlord allowed me to drink at 16 if signed up for the pool team. The captain was Dave who ran  the Van Damme so got to drink in there too. Went with some older mates on a saturday night as I said there were strippers on because Dave said they had entertainment booked. I just assumed it was strippers but it was just a drag artist night. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All depends who I’m meeting for a beer with.  Many years ago it would have been   Weavers, then onto the Bricklayers and finishing up in Turnstile with a group of mates.  Nowadays we meet in Soar Point but - and don’t laugh at me here - I quite often park at Westcoates Bowls club and have a couple of cans in there with my dad.  It’s rubbish really but only £5 to park and I get a beer with my old man and he gets to see his grandkids and we then walk to the ground and back all together.

15 hours ago, Mint23 said:

All depends who I’m meeting for a beer with.  Many years ago it would have been   Weavers, then onto the Bricklayers and finishing up in Turnstile with a group of mates.  Nowadays we meet in Soar Point but - and don’t laugh at me here - I quite often park at Westcoates Bowls club and have a couple of cans in there with my dad.  It’s rubbish really but only £5 to park and I get a beer with my old man and he gets to see his grandkids and we then walk to the ground and back all together.

Do they sell Beers at the bowls club?

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Do they sell Beers at the bowls club?

Yes they do but it’s just in cans and you poor it into your own pint glass.  They’ve got all the usual old school beers like Kronenburg, Fosters, John Smiths etc. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2022 at 06:06, SemperEadem said:

Does the corn exchange get a matchday crowd in? Always thought that would be a great spot for the away team to head to.

Get a few in their on a matchday, but away fans wise you don't see many. Don't think they know about it, as it's quiet hidden away in the market. 

Really enjoyed reading these, brought back some good memories.  Loss of the Swan and Rushes is such a shame, that was my local once upon a time but it did start to go downhill, particularly the beer, after grumpy Grant left.

After a day down at Grace Road or the footy used to head to the Black Boy heavily inebriated for some of the finest characters and karaoke you could ever hope to find.  Anyone remember the wooden hand pump carved into the shape of a penis?  I once remember it being hurled towards someone murdering a Queen song.  Quite a place.  

22 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Oases Narborough Road 😍

Do they still do curry? Used to go there way back in League One days, and we'd have a bangin' Lamb Tawa while watching the lunchtime kickoff. Stopped going years ago mind you, so no idea if they still do.

I have a very vivid memory of developing a hatred of El Hadj Diouf and his stupid blonde mohawk while eating just such a curry. lol

Edited by OntarioFox

3 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

The Barley Mow. One of the few where I don't have to politely wait at the back. I'm not very good at being assertive in bar queues. Recommendations welcome.

Can’t imagine The Ale Wagon is that busy on a matchday

22 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Do they still do curry? Used to go there way back in League One days, and we'd have a bangin' Lamb Tawa while watching the lunchtime kickoff. Stopped going years ago mind you, so no idea if they still do.

I have a very vivid memory of developing a hatred of El Hadj Diouf and his stupid blonde mohawk while eating just such a curry. lol

Nah. Probably not since about them days. Been going in there myself since them curry days but the curry days seem a lifetime ago. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Nah. Probably not since about them days. Been going in there myself since them curry days but the curry days seem a lifetime ago. 

Alas! I'll stick to the cobs in the Black Horse for now then. lol:beer: