Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Favourite Pre/Post match pub.

Favourite Pre/Post match pub.  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you go?

• Market Tavern
    • Robert Peel
    • F Bar
    • Duffys
    • Blue Boar
    • The Globe
    • Local Hero
    • Counting House
    • Nine Bar
    • The Fox & Soar
    • The Western
    • Parcel Yard
    • Symphony Rooms
    • The Kings Head
    • Bowling Green
    • Soar Point
    • The Salmon
    • West End Brewery
    • Highcross
    • Other please comment

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Terrace is great but the staff/landlord always seem a bit put out by having to actually serve you a beer. It'd have great a potential if a more adventurous brewery took it on.

Blokes a bit of prat really. Get it when there is only him or one other on and a large group walks in it can be a little tricky but he is like this always and absolutely loves to throw the 'have you got id' car out. 

Its a great pub inside and one the few I feel that do feel like and look like proper pubs in town but he is so cold.

Edited by SemperEadem

3 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Blokes a bit of prat really. Get it when there is only him or one other on and a large group walks in it can be a little tricky but he is like this always and absolutely loves to throw the 'have you got id' car out. 

Its a great pub inside and one the few I feel that do feel like and look like proper pubs in town but he is so cold.

There’s a new landlord.

• Like 1

The Crows Nest on Glenfield Road

Get there about 2 hours before kick off, park there or on the church opposite, couple of drinks and maybe some food watching the early kick off, leave about 45 minutes before kick off

Never any traffic getting there or out after games

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

Black Horse on Braunstone Gate for me nowadays. I like a proper Everard's pint and the Peel can be awkward to get in at times, so we started landing there last season and the Tiger is worth the detour.

Would probably tilt back to the grot and grime of the F Bar if they got live games back on in there and got a bleeding card machine. It's still a good pint of Worthington's and falls firmly in the old-school 'so bad it's good' category. :beer:

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What's happened to it? The new train station plans?

Yeah basically. Doesn't even bother to open Sundays now, even when we've got a game on. Also used to be a pre-train home banker for evening games but it shuts before the final whistle goes.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Chiltern Fox said:

It was open on Sunday. I got in about 12.15 and it was quite empty though. More Brentford than us.

Ah right. I walked past earlier but assumed it would be open earlier due to the kick-off time. Their opening times were seemingly random at the back end of last season.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

If I stop for a pint, it is usually New Road Inn or The Donkey, but that is only evening games, when I am without the children. I look at the list, and think no one actually comes up the Welford Road for games!

Before the pandemic, I would sometimes take the kids for lunch at Two Steeples and let them have a run around at the Wacky Warehouse, and then just hop on the 49 to get to the game. But they are now a bit too old for that.

The food at New Road Inn is fantastic but it just doesn’t have that “matchday pub” feel. 

8 hours ago, bovril said:

I go with my elderly Dad still and the Globe is nice. Pretty relaxed and decent beer. Probably wouldn't frequent it that much if I lived in Leicester though. Used to really like the Peel but can be a bit squished on match day and the often-mentioned Scottish landlady (who I believe has moved on) put me off. 

Moira? No, she's still there.

I used to work with her daughter.

Its a great little boozer in my opinion. However, and this is again just my opinion, I don't think football fans are what they're after in terms of clientele but they just can't turn the money down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, westernpark said:

It’s not just Alex who has left, but one of the other key bar staff has moved on. I’ll still support the new gaffer, but the salmon under Alex was peak pub and for a while it was the best in Leicester.

BCA have looked at the old Swan and Rushes site from time to time, that would be the dream. 

Yeah he's gone the Blue Boar hasn't he? Definitely their gain, he was a class act. Never warmed to the Blue Boar personally though

Think the Salmon will be broadly fine but agree with the sentiments on Alex, was a bit on its arse under the Mackem that was there before him n all

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah he's gone the Blue Boar hasn't he? Definitely their gain, he was a class act. Never warmed to the Blue Boar personally though

Think the Salmon will be broadly fine but agree with the sentiments on Alex, was a bit on its arse under the Mackem that was there before him n all

He has. I agree on Blue Boar, can only tolerate pre/post match. 

No Corn Exchange? Used to like the Victory near welford road, a good half way point between the station and the ground. Such a shame when that closed. I heard rumour that was it to be demolished to make way for parking for the hospital... however they then learnt it was listed building and can't be touched. Strange nothing has been done with in nearly 12 or 13 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

No Corn Exchange? Used to like the Victory near welford road, a good half way point between the station and the ground. Such a shame when that closed. I heard rumour that was it to be demolished to make way for parking for the hospital... however they then learnt it was listed building and can't be touched. Strange nothing has been done with in nearly 12 or 13 years.

Does the corn exchange get a matchday crowd in? Always thought that would be a great spot for the away team to head to.