Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Former Player Remembers: Alan Young

31 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

I remember when we were struggling a bit under Pearson, Ian Stringer had to break from his commentary to say "...and Youngy's having a row with the fans."

Wonder what’s happened between Stringer & radio Leicester. I thought he was having a short time away and would then be back on the radio. 

Good old fashioned centre forward. Him and lynex could conjure up something from nothing. Bit like albrighton and Vardy today but very different front men. I remember that injury too. Ahh the good old days. Well not the semi final against spurs. I remember being so upset on the way home. 

10 year old me worshipped the guy.  :wub:

That game where he went in goal and then went off and then came back (I was at that game).  Wow.

It would make the game miles more exciting if we got rid of sub goalies and had outfield players putting on the gloves.

• Like 1

Alan Young was one of my favourite players around 1980, but I remember he sometimes ran out of steam. I have a memory of him about to be brought on as a substitute. He was warming up, running up and down the Filbert Street touchline. Somebody in the crowd shouted 'Sit Down Youngey - you'll be knackered!'. Made me laugh.

41 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Do we know why he left RL? I know there was a bit of bad blood there, but I can't recall anybody knowing the actual reason. 

I am sure Alan Young leaving had something to do with Pearson. In Alan Youngs book, he had written that he wished Allardyce to die from what I remember. Pearson is a friend of big Sam and I think Radio Leicester thought it was inappropriate.

As for Stringer, I didn’t mind his commentary far better than the current chap.

• Thanks 1

Also I can't share it because it will probably get a copyright strike, but I've got Knockaert's winner against Forest in 2013 mixed in with the BBC RL commentary, and Young's "GO ON! YES! YAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!" when we score is a big indicator of why we miss him on the radio now.

I do like Piper though so it's fine. He's come on leaps since his first few commentary jobs.

• Like 1