Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC vs Southampton - Pre-Match Thread

6 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Zero excitement and lots of dread for this game.

As others have said if Rodgers starts with 5 atb, it’s inexcusable surely?

Also, Barnes was meant to be out for a couple of weeks wasn’t he…..is it too early for him?

He's back in training

• Like 1

Agree with @JimmyC74lineup. 

Hopefully Kelechi and Praet a start for this one. Maybe Barnes to come on in the second half if he's fit enough?

If Rodgers starts with a back 5 including Amartey. Well, words will fail me. 

Only the third game of the season but it feels like an important one. 

15 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Same team that played the majority of the 2nd half against Arsenal.

Drop Armatey for a traffic cone.  Strategically placed the traffic cone could be very dangerous.  Certainly more mobile.

...why is Amartey getting flak, when he has been a stalwart last season, throughout our injury crisis!!!

Yet again a player has been pulled into a position that does not suit him, and a player who could have coped better on the pitch was left on the bench and ignored. You cannot continue to ignore what is happening with game selections and tactics, and seek to apportion the blame on the player visibly "left out to dry"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Stalwart? He was awful all of last season, cost us so many goals and killed Soyuncu's confidence playing those two together... Amartey shouldn't have survived this summer, let alone be starting. Never has been good enough, and never will be. 

Was it Amartey who killed Soyuncu's confidence when he wasn't playing alongside him at the Euros? He's fine as a squad option when Rodgers finally shows some sense. 

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Is he though? Can you remember a time he had a good game last season? I can't think of one off of the top of my head. I don't think I've ever seen Amartey put in anything more than a 7/10 performance. 

Yeah but if Rodgers had the same mindset as the average fan, Amartey would only play a handful of games a season (especially with no Europe). 

3 hours ago, JimmyC74 said:

First XI for Southampton 

Gk Ward 

RB Castagne

LB JJ

CB Evans

CB Cags / Fofana

CDM Ndidi

CM Praet

CM KDH

CM Madders

CF Vards

CF Kels

I am 50/50 on dropping Wes for Cags. On form and talent he plays but based on the recent media circus I could see him getting a load of flak and it negatively affecting his game.  And the focus has to be three points.

Obviously leave him out and there will be even more momentum to the speculation he is going. But I don’t necessarily think it would hurt the lad to be benched.

I would also bench Youri in favour of Praet to inject energy into our press, a player capable of doing both sides of the game and desire to cement a place in the team.

I would add Kels to increase the assist / goal threat.

I want us to start quick and be really at it. Prediction 3-1 up the citeh!

(Not entirely sold on Ward as no.1 but can’t see BR change things up this early)

I'm also in favour of Praet and Cags starting over Youri and Fofana in a 442 diamond formation. But I fully expect Rodgers to start the same XI from the past 2 games, and then moan after the game that he's had no choice but to play 3511.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest Col city fan

No doubt about it in my mind, Southampton is a ‘must-win’ game. I know it’s massively early in the season but we go to Chelsea afterwards, then Utd at home. 
If we don’t pick up points on Saturday I can see us probably lying near the bottom come end September time.

We really need 3 points against the Saints imo or the morale and confidence could be well and truly shot.

I don’t want to see five at the back. I want us to really go for it on Saturday and get Tielemans, Maddison and Vardy doing their stuff.

36 minutes ago, lanefox said:

What is that supposed to mean?

...there are other more suitable formations that he can employ,  than playing Amartey out of position, and playing a disjointed team,because  Barnes is out injured.

Let's see if he goes to 3-5-1-1 again," because he has no other option".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...there are other more suitable formations that he can employ,  than playing Amartey out of position, and playing a disjointed team,because  Barnes is out injured.

Let's see if he goes to 3-5-1-1 again," because he has no other option".

Misunderstood what you meant, I thought you was suggesting Barnes injury wasn’t real 😅

• Haha 1

Nearly 3 weeks since Barnes injury.. no real news other than it’s not settled down…

which means no doubt that an op will be needed that puts him out for a few months..

Anyway back to Saturday.. flat back 4 with Jonny and Dan i imagine..

rather than this 5 at the back, want to see us as a more attacking threat..