Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC vs Southampton - Pre-Match Thread

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....I would go with a diamond and have two upfront!!!

With the way Southampton plays 4-2-2-2, we can get Maddison in his preferred role, Vardy, with Nacho for support, and Ndidi in his preferred position with Praet in as the other #8.

We do not have to shoehorn players due to a missing winger, our bloated squad can cater to such problems, without inventing roles for people who do not play those positions on a regular basis.

Ward

Castagne      Fofana    Evans    JJ

Wilf

Praet              KDH

Maddison

Nacho        Vardy

Looks good to me.

Never happen though!

i don't see why an injury to Barnes meant we abandoned the 4.3.3 we had been working on all preseason. We could actually play a front 3 of Vardy, Iheanacho and Daka. The version of 4.3.3 we played was more like a 4.5.1. You don't need wingers with 4.3.3 just attackers to play either side a central striker, the 3 are supposed to interchange when play dictates.

8 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

i don't see why an injury to Barnes meant we abandoned the 4.3.3 we had been working on all preseason. We could actually play a front 3 of Vardy, Iheanacho and Daka. The version of 4.3.3 we played was more like a 4.5.1. You don't need wingers with 4.3.3 just attackers to play either side a central striker, the 3 are supposed to interchange when play dictates.

Not sure that’s correct at all. You can’t just throw anyone there and expect them to be able to play the role, it requires a different skill set. 

31 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Mr Flair thinks he is on the verge. 90% of people on here are convinced Fofana is going. So again Dan or Jannik?

Cags likely will go but not been any recent links to suggest a move is close

1 minute ago, turlo said:

Cags likely will go but not been any recent links to suggest a move is close

My point is people on here rattle on about attacking formations ad nausem when our defending is going down the tubes. We need to retain Soyuncu and Fofana  and kick this shambles into some sort of shape. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

My point is people on here rattle on about attacking formations ad nausem when our defending is going down the tubes. We need to retain Soyuncu and Fofana  and kick this shambles into some sort of shape. 

I don't know what's happening. The board can't afford to sell Cags and Wes. Are they going to call me to play as a CB or the barman of stadium? It's too late now. No sale. Everyone including Tielemans stays. I don't care if they want to leave or not. They're professionals with contracts. If they're giving trouble to the club in and out the dressing room fine them 10% of their wages per day. 

11 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Not sure that’s correct at all. You can’t just throw anyone there and expect them to be able to play the role, it requires a different skill set. 

I totally agree, however Vardy has shown he can play the left front role when Iheanacho had a run in the team. You could argue he played it better than Barnes does. Iheanacho  played central when Vardy played more on the left.

Trying Daka in the right of a front 3 is hardly throwing anyone in and expecting them to play the role. It's not as if we're asking him to play at center back.

2 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I totally agree, however Vardy has shown he can play the left front role when Iheanacho had a run in the team. You could argue he played it better than Barnes does. Iheanacho  played central when Vardy played more on the left.

Trying Daka in the right of a front 3 is hardly throwing anyone in and expecting them to play the role. It's not as if we're asking him to play at center back.

Daka can't play in the right of front 3. It's like having Okazaki there. Good luck with that. 

51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....I would go with a diamond and have two upfront!!!

With the way Southampton plays 4-2-2-2, we can get Maddison in his preferred role, Vardy, with Nacho for support, and Ndidi in his preferred position with Praet in as the other #8.

We do not have to shoehorn players due to a missing winger, our bloated squad can cater to such problems, without inventing roles for people who do not play those positions on a regular basis.

Ward

Castagne      Fofana    Evans    JJ

Wilf

Praet              KDH

Maddison

Nacho        Vardy

OK, I'm not against trying a diamond, I would take issue with your statement that our bloated squad can't cater for it's lack of wingers however. 

It is either a case of play a diamond as you suggest with no wingers, so we're shoehorning ourselves into a formation that is unfamiliar,. or we use other wide options in our more familiar set up.  Albrighton played wide left week in week out when we won the league.  Castagne has played wide right and was played there in the friendly v Sevilla when we still had Ricardo and Barnes, so they're hardly strangers to the roles.

Or... we stick with 3 atb.

Edited by murphy

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ward 

Castagne

Fofana

Evans

Justin

Ndidi

Praet

Maddison

KDH

Maswanhise

Vardy

We have 3 strikers that can score and collaborate. We're always keeping 2 of them in the bench. The Vardy-Iheanacho combination has worked wonders many times. As it is I don't care if it ends 5-3 or 5-4. Two up front please. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, murphy said:

OK, I'm not against trying a diamond, I would take issue with your statement that our bloated squad can't cater for it's lack of wingers however. 

It is either a case of play a diamond as you suggest with no wingers, so we're shoehorning ourselves into a formation that is unfamiliar,. or we use other wide options in our more familiar set up.  Albrighton played wide left week in week out when we won the league.  Castagne has played wide right and was played there in the friendly v Sevilla when we still had Ricardo and Barnes, so they're hardly strangers to the roles.

Or... we stick with 3 atb.

...I  am sure I did not say, our bloated squad cannot cater for the loss of Barnes!!!

I can understand your reservation with my setup, but Albrighton struggles for game time, and playing Castagne wide in midfield on the right, because he was used in a friendly to do so, seems not the best use of his skillset. 

In the diamond,  all the players would be in their natural positions. The fact that we rarely play the formation is down to the managers failings, not the wisdom of the formation. 

31 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Daka can't play in the right of front 3. It's like having Okazaki there. Good luck with that. 

What makes you so sure? I'm my memory he has never played on the right of a front three. Do you think he would be worse than playing Marc Albrighton there? serious question. A front three are all supposed to offer a goal threat.

I want to see Kelechi involved from the off.. He makes things happen and always looks to go forward with the ball…

At home especially, we need to take the game to the opposition and play on the front foot .

So Maddison and Kel behind JV.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  am sure I did not say, our bloated squad cannot cater for the loss of Barnes!!!

I can understand your reservation with my setup, but Albrighton struggles for game time, and playing Castagne wide in midfield on the right, because he was used in a friendly to do so, seems not the best use of his skillset. 

In the diamond,  all the players would be in their natural positions. The fact that we rarely play the formation is down to the managers failings, not the wisdom of the formation. 

I'd be quite happy to see Rodgers play your set up, just as long as we try something different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

What makes you so sure? I'm my memory he has never played on the right of a front three. Do you think he would be worse than playing Marc Albrighton there? serious question. A front three are all supposed to offer a goal threat.

This is on paper my friend. When you play 3 up front the 2 of them must be exceptional with their first touch, have decent penetration with the ball and a good vision to support the CF. Even Barnes is not at this level. 

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Only time I liked it was with Kelechi and Vardy up front but I think that was because of them 2 rather than what was happening at the back. Attack is the best form of defence as they say 

We also played a back three of evans fofana justin which was actually quite solid. RCB for me is arguably justins best position. Armartey is Armartey and soyuncu doesnt like a back 3 so i dont know why we try and stick these two in there when theyre not compatible

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AmyLGK said:

Been trying to buy tickets for me and my mum to go to this...it'll be her first ever LCFC game...which means I can't buy her a ticket....so we're now not going 🤦‍♀️

....the need for the expansion cannot come soon enough!!!

With the chance for walk-up ticket sales, and for families and friends to sit together, we are not maximizing our assets.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2022 at 20:43, Lcfc-1992 said:

Just don’t play 5 at the back

He will play 5 at the back, this is Brendan. He'll claim it worked vs Brentford (for 60 minutes). If he doesn't change the side though it will be madness/insanity call it what you like. He's like a modern day Johann Cruyff who plainly refused to change his tactics even though the side he managed toward the end of his career, Catalonia, were getting beaten every week. He knew best. He's like a poor man's Guardiola in that sense.  He doesn't have the quality or player with the psychological toughness and skills to implement his "theories" against decent Premiership sides.  

• Like 2