Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Rodgers in or out?

Rodgers in or out?   

656 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

17 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

No the way he conducts himself. Always bitching and moaning everytime his team doesn't win and always has excuses. I know alot of managers can be like this but I just find his interviews intolerable and think he behaves like a total cnut. 

Fair enough -a bit like most managers then!

33 minutes ago, Silverfox14 said:

Pochettino might be interesting alternative?

Lol no

People are whinging about Brendan being a bottlejob. This guy is actually one. He's managed to make a team containing Mbappe, Neymar, Messi look like shit, it's become so evident how poorly he had them playing now that Galtier (someone I wouldve liked as a Brendan replacement) has come in. 

34 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'm essentially having the same argument with both of you.  I guess the difference between us is I give more Rodgers more credit for the 2 5th place finishes and fa cup win than you do.  

In my opinion Brendan took what was on paper probably the 8th best squad in the league (I think we was about 15th when he took over) and got us finishing 5th 5th and 8th and won the FA cup and charity Shield. 

I see his time here as mainly positive, and thus based on that and as I mentioned how expensive it would be to replace him am fairly relaxed about him having a few more weeks. You see it different and I respect that and wouldn't be completely deverstated if he got the sack. I was asked to justify the brendan in argument and hopefully I've done that. I am broadly in the Rodgers in camp but theres clearly some issues with him. 

I think youre downplaying how much of a mess the squads of the top 6 were in in Rodger's first two seasons. Back then Arsenal had just spent 70 mil on Nicolas Pepe, and were playing kolasinac, holding, david luiz, chambers and post injury bellerin in defence with loads of bad personalities in their dressing room such as guendouzi, Ozil, Torreira who hated england and to a lesser extent aubameyang. The lineup that they played today in comparison is far ahead of what they were playing in 19/20 in every position, much more of what you would expect from a top 6 side. You can do the same for spurs who had eriksen leaving, alli declining, dembele and wanyama out the door, vertongen, rose and aldeweireld declining, lo celso and ndombele signed for record fees. The teams that we overcame to finish in 5th place were not actually very good on paper with plenty of personality issues behind the scenes.

On the other hand Rodgers came into a side that had loads of young talent like ricardo pereira, chilwell, ndidi, tielemans, maddison, barnes etc as well as proven experienced winners to guide them from the dressing room such as morgan, fuchs, evans, schmeichel and vardy. I think most managers would kill to walk into a job with that blend of talent, experience and strong leadership personalities. Rodger's job was fairly simple and that was to not be Puel and get the players on his side, you could see that the change was instant the second that he walked through the door, or arguably even before that as we were already playing good football against brighton before he was even announced. I remember there was a feeling around the club that we could do something special next season, yet Rodgers had only been in the job a couple months, he hadnt done anything fancy except play his best XI in their favoured positions and keep them motivated and happy, something that is easy to do when youre new to the job, not as easy when youre 3 seasons in as we're seeing now.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

First season we failed to do it, I don't blame him as a few injuries at the wrong time and general inexperience of the team cost us.

Second season, we had horrific injuries for the first part of the season which he managed superbly and then we absolutely bottled it, a lot of which was down to him.

Injuries aside last year, the management of the team was pretty abject at times including some truly awful football. I'd go as far as to say the worst I've seen in 25 years of supporting us. I couldn't believe how easy we were to play against at times; genuinely would have been cut open by league 2 teams. It was the sheer quality of players that bailed him out. He's continued to show some dreadful management and coaching this year.

Outside of our Leicester perspective means f all. These people don't see what we see week in week out and the massive issues we have. He's done a good job here on the whole but that's it. There's been some abject failures of his making with an incredibly talented team at his disposal, alongside continued fragilities that he will not address as he's too arrogant.

So to answer your question, yes plenty of other managers could achieve what he achieved and would certainly do better than he is now. Whether or not we could get one of them, is another matter but we'd certainly have more options than we did when Rodgers got the job (who was a great appointment at the time but we have outgrown him).

Well said! Our players are capable of so much more than “truly awful football.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Rodger's job was fairly simple and that was to not be Puel and get the players on his side, you could see that the change was instant the second that he walked through the door, or arguably even before that as we were already playing good football against brighton before he was even announced. I remember there was a feeling around the club that we could do something special next season, yet Rodgers had only been in the job a couple months, he hadnt done anything fancy except play his best XI in their favoured positions and keep them motivated and happy,

This complements an earlier post of mine when asked the "who would you have if he was sacked" question..

I firmly believe that his removal would start this,  just knowing he face won't be there the next time you arrive for training, and hopefully not having to play his god awfully negative possession ball next match would be a start.  Play some attacking football and look to cause the opposition some problems for a change. The new manager would have a clean slate with the team,  so maybe some of the better players (who have proven this in pre season and as subs) would actually get on the pitch. Rodgers' influence,  tactics (sorry cough splutter) etc are all stale and past their sell and use by dates.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vestan Pance said:

t's reached a stale mate. The players are bored, the fans are bored and Brendan wants new players which is currently impossible. He'll leave by mutual consent fairly soon.

I think this is the issue, the way he talks and presents himself,  it'd ware on anyone. He's not a long term manager.

If I was Top I wouldn't trust him with a rebuild 

7 hours ago, LFox99 said:

Lol no

People are whinging about Brendan being a bottlejob. This guy is actually one. He's managed to make a team containing Mbappe, Neymar, Messi look like shit, it's become so evident how poorly he had them playing now that Galtier (someone I wouldve liked as a Brendan replacement) has come in. 

Or maybe just sticking a load of ego's together just doesn't work. Tuchel had his down moments with them too. We saw years ago in Spain that just sticking a number of names together doesn't necessarily mean winning football. So disregarding Poch, other than domestic football, when did any of their other great managers win anything with PSG?

With the amount of player power there, one in particular, you'd have to question the judgement of any manager who'd want to take that lot on at the moment, can only really be money. Who'd want Mbape or Neymar whining in their ears?

J

9 minutes ago, ronnup said:

I think this is the issue, the way he talks and presents himself,  it'd ware on anyone. He's not a long term manager.

If I was Top I wouldn't trust him with a rebuild 

In that case Top and the board should just mutually come to an agreement and part ways with Rodgers.

• Like 2

I’ve held off from my opinion, but now I seriously think br has come to an end and it’s time for a refresh, starting from management. His decision making is infuriating and as for “it’s actually for the poor football on show” that also comes from management. BR is there on the training pitch and the style in which he wants to play is simply not working.. 

It’s infuriating watching this triangle football every week, let’s get a manager in who can play counter attacking football again, get the set piece play working and have the players playing for their shirt again. I just think BR has reached his peak and he knows it.. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Silverfox14 said:

Pochettino may be longer shot but reported that he would like to return to premier league  ( no idea whether rightly) and there are not lots of obvious forthcoming vacancies in “top six” clubs.  

Pochettino won't come here with our current restrictions on investing in the squad. He would certainly be my choice, but sadly wont happen. I could see the board going for Benitez, who they seem to have had a long term interest in, even though his football is dire, and his stock has fallen given what he churned out at Everton. The fact that he worked for Mike Ashley at Newcastle with no money, suggests he would be willing to take the job, as long as his wage was big enough, and his willingness to do a Job without much investment may also be seen as a plus point for the board.  Failing that, then the only other manager I can see us going for is Sean Dyche.    Neither Benitez or Dyche would be my choice,  but it may well be the market we are in now. 

6 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

What about when Holloway took us down to League One? This is what I mean about a lack of perspective.

It’s all relative, we were rubbish back then with a rubbish squad, we have top 6 premier league players in our squad, the fourth highest paid manager in the country (who knows about europe) and we as a club have moved on, you can always reference some sort of sh1tshow from our past, because that’s what our past has been. Do we want to return to our type? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

It’s all relative, we were rubbish back then with a rubbish squad, we have top 6 premier league players in our squad, the fourth highest paid manager in the country (who knows about europe) and we as a club have moved on, you can always reference some sort of sh1tshow from our past, because that’s what our past has been. Do we want to return to our type? 

Yea I’m not a dogmatic Rodgers in man, and have flirted with being out in the past. I’m not far from thinking a so called refresh might be beneficial if it included the management team, but I also think the meltdown after yesterday isn’t warranted (if we had played Fulham maybe). 

I’ve also yet to see a credible alternative mooted.

The people that mention the FA Cup, 5th place finishes and Community Shield, are the same people who'd happily be watching us in League One under the stewardship of Claudio Ranieri right now.

It's time to mix things up, it may get worse but it's time to gamble.

Games cant be taken in isolation anymore, the same mistakes happened against Brentford as they did against Arsenal. The same mistakes that were happening last season and towards the end of the season before that too. 

As for credible alternative thats a load of rubbish too, its a lazy default defence.

Potter would be a good alternative and looks ready for the step up now, Arnie Slot has been mentioned, Pochettino if we were feeling really ambitious and were willing to put hands in our pockets. 

But i imagine as with a lot of Rodgers biggest defenders theres always an excuse to rubbish a potential alternative. 

• Like 1

I'm an 'in' but only because I didn't want to vote 'out'. As I said on one of the myriad of other Rodgers threads, I've decided to go through a review period after the Brentford subs farce. So yesterday gets a pass, as will the next half dozen games. In fairness, Arsenal were far superior. I don't feel you can fairly judge against that. Many teams would have been found out against that class.

What I don't like (and as I heard reported, I didn't hear it myself) was that Rodgers again blamed players for mistakes. Maybe it's something he learnt from Mourhino, I don't know, but I don't think it helps and I don't like to here it. I don't know his motivation for doing it but it could be to try and absolve himself. Whatever, I don't personally deal in terms of blame as I think it counter productive. It's not a sackable offence (in itself) though.

I am coming to the conclusion that he is rigid in his thinking and tactically limited - his game being rooted in the past. His seems to pin an awful lot on the unavailability of ONE player (i.e. Barnes) and that does give me a 'wtf' disbelief. The mobility, flexibility and fluidity Arsenal showed yesterday tells me there are many ways to set up a team. I see in Rodgers an inclination towards self-protection before a genuine desire to advance our game. That means we stagnate because of a personality trait. Not good.

But, as I said, I'm on the fence (deliberately) for a couple of months yet.

Edited by taupe

Every season and for a very long time I’ve always had that buzz feeling.

This season it just wasn’t there, and it’s all down to the manager , he’s stinking the place out now.

last week was the perfect example, the game was won, and his poor management cost us.

Time for a new manager  

• Like 1